Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: KLM PLAT, Qatar PLAT, AA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, IHG Plat
Re: How can I check

Ok a small update and something to also pay attention to for your EY bookings.

First of all I got a super helpful CSR from AA USA this time.

I called again (this time to the USA call center) luckily the changed EY first flights they had put on the original record locator's was still there (AUS call center did that last night). The JFK to WAS flights were still with the original date so hadn't been changed.

The tricky part was the my original booking had two different records (1 for 2 people and the other for 1 person) when the CSR went into the PNR she noticed they had only ticketed one of the 2 people on the first itinerary!! (remember this is over 2 weeks after original request), points were taken over a week ago also (3 AwardsX90K).

So it looks like someone messed it up (her words not mine). Also explains why the Euro call center didn't want to make any changes I guess it was too much of a PITA...

Please note when the original ticket was delivered (before the date change) I checked the AA website and also EY (had the EY PNR also) both names were showing. I was even able to select the seats on EY).

Apparently they had to issue the missing ticket then reissue it with my change. After another 30 min's on hold they got it sorted.

Either way, they made my changes and got us flights out of LGA which while not optimal still gets me to DCA that day on the original 90K for Mid east to USA award. Also no change or cancel fees as the route was intact.

I asked the CSR about changing to another airport (she checked all the usual pairs, JFK/LGA-DCA/IAD/BWI but apparently there were no other options available. So hard to test if a fee would have been necessary as I still had the original AUH-JFK-DCA. However, she didn't mention anything about that being a problem.

Now just waiting for the reissue.

So the moral of the story DOUBLE CHECK YOUR ISSUED TICKETS WHEN YOU HAVE MORE THEN ONE ON THE RECORD LOCATOR! Also the USA can work with held EY flights that the Aussie held. When I get my final correct tickets I will update the thread.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by bison1847
Ok a small update and something to also pay attention to for your EY bookings.

First of all I got a super helpful CSR from AA USA this time.

I called again (this time to the USA call center) luckily the changed EY first flights they had put on the original record locator's was still there (AUS call center did that last night). The JFK to WAS flights were still with the original date so hadn't been changed.

The tricky part was the my original booking had two different records (1 for 2 people and the other for 1 person) when the CSR went into the PNR she noticed they had only ticketed one of the 2 people on the first itinerary!! (remember this is over 2 weeks after original request), points were taken over a week ago also (3 AwardsX90K).

So it looks like someone messed it up (her words not mine). Also explains why the Euro call center didn't want to make any changes I guess it was too much of a PITA...

Please note when the original ticket was delivered (before the date change) I checked the AA website and also EY (had the EY PNR also) both names were showing. I was even able to select the seats on EY).

Apparently they had to issue the missing ticket then reissue it with my change. After another 30 min's on hold they got it sorted.

Either way, they made my changes and got us flights out of LGA which while not optimal still gets me to DCA that day on the original 90K for Mid east to USA award. Also no change or cancel fees as the route was intact.

I asked the CSR about changing to another airport (she checked all the usual pairs, JFK/LGA-DCA/IAD/BWI but apparently there were no other options available. So hard to test if a fee would have been necessary as I still had the original AUH-JFK-DCA. However, she didn't mention anything about that being a problem.

Now just waiting for the reissue.

So the moral of the story DOUBLE CHECK YOUR ISSUED TICKETS WHEN YOU HAVE MORE THEN ONE ON THE RECORD LOCATOR! Also the USA can work with held EY flights that the Aussie held. When I get my final correct tickets I will update the thread.
If you have some BA Avios and would prefer to fly JFK-BWI for 4,500 BA Avios/person in Economy, you should be able to drop the LGA-DCA portion of your award. Whether it's worth 13,500 Avios to you to avoid the JFK-LGA transfer is something only you can decide.

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 17, 2016 at 2:06 pm
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Is there a way to check historical load factors in business for Etihad A380 flights?
I'd like to use this information to make a slightly educated guess on whether Etihad opens up more business class availability closer to departure. With 70 business class seats on the A380, I would wager that its not a full flight all the time and therefore there are last minute seats available with AA miles...
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
I'm fairly certain this is the longest I've waited for a flight to ticket.

1/8 - called EXP desk, no availability.
1/8 - called AU desk, held + booked
1/16 - still not ticketed
1/18 - flight ticketed

Thankfully the flight is a few months out, so not a big deal.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
When searching JFK-AUH I see no availability but when searching AUH-JFK roundtrip the JFK-AUH suddenly has amazing availability.

I'm only interested in the AUH-JFK segement but might be worth a call to AA to see if they can see the space for anyone looking to go JFK-AUH.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Nehawk
When searching JFK-AUH I see no availability but when searching AUH-JFK roundtrip the JFK-AUH suddenly has amazing availability.

I'm only interested in the AUH-JFK segement but might be worth a call to AA to see if they can see the space for anyone looking to go JFK-AUH.
As a brand new user of FT, I am just beginning to read all the way through forums, learn the lingo, read the wikis, and do my best to teach myself to fish with the tidbits I glean from all of you. I've already posted in the wrong forum once, and am sure to make many more mistakes!

Definitely do not expect to be spoon fed - have just started my journey of accruing and maximizing my points and this is my first time booking an award. My main issue is similar to the one quoted above - looking to book LAX-AUH RT in J next December. In advance of EY publishing fares later this week, I'm trying to learn as much as possible and am stuck on this issue of them not listing Guest seats when searching with a US point of origin.

I will be trying the solution posted a few pages back that garnered a lot of heated discussion, but am a bit confused about dropping legs once booked, so if anyone experienced can point me in the direction of a few other threads I can read to help me successfully book EY in J this far in advance, this FT virgin would appreciate it.

FWIW - Appreciate you all sharing your knowledge and realize it is a fine line between those who just abuse reading the forums and ruin it for everyone, but some of us are genuinely new to the process and etiquette and will take any help we can get!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
<Deleted> Observations I made were already discovered earlier in the thread.

Last edited by Wiirachay; Jan 18, 2016 at 1:13 pm
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:24 pm

Folks, you are confused. You do not have to book AAdvantage round trips. In fact all AAdvantage award bookings are one-way; a round trip is just two one-ways.

The EY search is rigged to show availability only when searching for itineraries originating in AUH. RT is not the issue, origin is the issue. For example, if you search for AUH-LAX (one way) you may see availability, but that availability will NOT be shown if you search for LAX-AUH-LAX (round trip) with the same date for the AUH-LAX segment.

You may have to do round trip searches in order to SEE the real availability on a USA to AUH flight. But you do not have to book that round trip as an AAdvantage award.
Originally Posted by Kosha
I will be trying the solution posted a few pages back that garnered a lot of heated discussion, but am a bit confused about dropping legs once booked, so if anyone experienced can point me in the direction of a few other threads I can read to help me successfully book EY in J this far in advance, this FT virgin would appreciate it.
May I point you instead to the wiki? It's at the top of the page, and it is intended to be read before posting.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jan 18, 2016 at 2:19 pm
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I notice something odd and frustrating, its so hard to find a first class guest seat open from auh to aus (bne,syd) but so much easier to find seat from aus to auh when searching closer to departure date, and eventhough through expertflyer's seat map auh-bne is empty except for two blocked seats by -1/-2/ on the day of departure, EY still wont open guest seat but it will open seat for bne-auh/syd-auh
Second thing is when i tried to book guest seat that shows availability for more than 2 seats left (route auh-bne/auh-syd) when i called aa and ticket it, and then i tried to ticket another one for my mother under different record locator, the guest seat availaibity suddenly became sold out, and i experienced this even if i'm just putting seat on hold

Has anyone else experience this?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:15 pm

Got it. Read the whole wiki multiple time before posting but was unnecessarily over complicating the solution previously highlighted in past posts. You cleared up my confusion. I will use your solution to search availability, call AA Australia and book awards as one ways. Will try and report back. Appreciate the help!

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Folks, you are confused. You do not have to book AAdvantage round trips. In fact all AAdvantage award bookings are one-way; a round trip is just two one-ways.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, IHG Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by rookieflyer22
Hi everyone,

I notice something odd and frustrating, its so hard to find a first class guest seat open from auh to aus (bne,syd) but so much easier to find seat from aus to auh when searching closer to departure date, and eventhough through expertflyer's seat map auh-bne is empty except for two blocked seats by -1/-2/ on the day of departure, EY still wont open guest seat but it will open seat for bne-auh/syd-auh
Second thing is when i tried to book guest seat that shows availability for more than 2 seats left (route auh-bne/auh-syd) when i called aa and ticket it, and then i tried to ticket another one for my mother under different record locator, the guest seat availaibity suddenly became sold out, and i experienced this even if i'm just putting seat on hold

Has anyone else experience this?
I have read of a few reports of this "phenomenon" happening with EY F awards. What I did for mine was to have the agent grab both seats together, put them on hold, and then split the reservation just prior to ticketing so that we can each use our own miles.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Several months ago I booked F JKF>AUH on A380. Then, within a few weeks later they switched me to the Jet Airways 777 flight on the same day. My flight is in Feb 9th.

Now I see F on A380 opening up a few days out of departure. When I was reading through the thread, I didn't see a lot of data points switching flights close in. I guess I'm worried trying to switch to the A380....it not ticketing in time....and then can't get the Jet Airways flight back. Is this a valid worry of mine?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:00 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
No, they will rush ticketing if you are closer to your departure date. Did AA email you to say they switched to Jet Airways 777?

Mark
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:03 am

Thumbs up

Booked an EY ticket on the A380 for 3 in F. We're going to a friend's wedding in India.

Many thanks to the contributors in this thread and the ones before it for making this possible!! Maybe I'll post back a photo after the flight!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by james84
I have read of a few reports of this "phenomenon" happening with EY F awards. What I did for mine was to have the agent grab both seats together, put them on hold, and then split the reservation just prior to ticketing so that we can each use our own miles.
I tried at, but the agent couldnt do that, she said that its still gone because she still had to ticket it one by one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.