Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Getting the ticket

I called the AA Australia line and was able to get 2 award F tickets (ABU - JFK) in Nov. I paid for them over the phone. The agent said they were in queue and would be issued eventually. How soon after booking would I get the tickets? the call took place on 1/2.

thanks
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by kwguy77
I called the AA Australia line and was able to get 2 award F tickets (ABU - JFK) in Nov. I paid for them over the phone. The agent said they were in queue and would be issued eventually. How soon after booking would I get the tickets? the call took place on 1/2.

thanks
My August travel ticketed w/i 6 days of booking. And I got 3 award F tickets

EDIT - I'm actually still waiting for the 3rd to ticket, as the AU agent populated the passenger with the wrong FF number.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver

thanks
Probably 3-5 business days. Maybe less, maybe more.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum

thanks
I did the same (AUH-JFK-CLT, 2 F), on 12/30. Still "On Request." Get in line . With the holiday, it makes sense that they take a while. A data point above indicates someone got ticketed today for a booking made on 12/30, so I'm hoping mine will ticket by tomorrow morning (by EOB Tuesday in OZ). I'd expect yours by Wed or Thurs.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Originally Posted by lowside67
To summarize:
12/29 Reserved EY routing via Australia Call Centre
12/30 Booked/Paid via US Call Centre
01/01 Called US Call Centre - told nobody was ticketing over the weekend, it would be done Monday
01/04 Automatically ticketed and email received - all good!

I am flying BOM-AUH (Jetihad), AUH-JFK (EY A380), JFK-YVR (CX 77W) all in First and my total cost was $66.20 AUD in taxes/fees and $25.00 USD for what I assume is the telephone booking fee.

Mark
Small update - was able to get the agent to reverse the booking fee since the Etihad flights cannot be booked on the website.

Mark
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by edy4eva
That's not true. If on a single ticket BA will accept and check through baggage onto EY.

Also no amount of HUACA will achieve what the OP is asking as EY don't have an AUH-YYZ fare which permits JFK-YYZ routing on JJ.

/VIA THE ATLANTIC/
DOM ROUTE VALIDATION APPLIES WITHIN ORIG/DEST COUNTRIES
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. AUH-9W/EY-YTO
2. AUH-BRU/DUB-EY-YTO
3. AUH-CHI/NYC-AA/EY-YTO
4. AUH-DXB-AUH-9W/EY-YTO
5. AUH-DXB-AUH-BRU/DUB-EY-YTO
6. AUH-DXB-AUH-CHI/NYC-AA/EY-YTO
Thanks, but must it be a published fare? The JJ flight is almost perfectly timed for the EY arrival and it would be convenient to have it all under one award, otherwise I'm stuck in JFK for half the day without a lounge.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Thanks, but must it be a published fare? The JJ flight is almost perfectly timed for the EY arrival and it would be convenient to have it all under one award, otherwise I'm stuck in JFK for half the day without a lounge.
Yes, it's a requirement for any AA award that it must be a published fare. http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....merican-miles/

If economy is available on the JJ flight, it should just be 12.5k extra to include in itinerary as a separate award, if that's worth it to you. Or, depending on how long the connection is and how comfortable you are with the risk, if you have BA Avios, you could book it for 4.5k. I'd consider including the later JFK-YYZ flight on the award just in case, and doing a separate Avios booking for the JJ flight. Then, take the TAM flight if you make it, otherwise take the later flight that you have booked as part of the EY award. If you have checked bags, you may arrive earlier than them, though.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:20 pm

Anyone waiting to ticket might want to call for an update. One segment (auh-jfk) was downgraded on my ticket yet again today from first to business. First was available both times I booked but apparently AA or Etihad really doesn't want me in first class. Wth? On hold now....
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:23 pm

A data point:
Booking CAI-AUH-JFK in J
Called US AA number, they could see CAI-AUH in J, but AUH-JFK was only in Y
Called Australian AA number, waited about 10 minutes. Had a pleasant agent that found both segments, was booked including payment in less than 12 minutes. She talked about how they were getting tons of Etihad requests from US numbers when I mentioned something. She said there was some sort of glitch in the system that they have been unable to solve, but they are still happy to book us.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Originally Posted by diseased
Anyone waiting to ticket might want to call for an update. One segment (auh-jfk) was downgraded on my ticket yet again today from first to business. First was available both times I booked but apparently AA or Etihad really doesn't want me in first class. Wth? On hold now....
Were you downgraded during ticketing, or after you had been issued a ticket? I have been ticketed in F and everything on both AA and EY's sites appears perfect but am curious if I should continue to monitor or if it's good now that it's been issued.

Mark
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by niehaubs
Possibly a simple question:

OK, so my preferred route would be Etihad IST-AUH-HKG business class. However, AA does not allow that stop in AUH on an Etihad award (unless I am misreading the award rules). Options? Can I book as 2 awards IST-AUH, then AUH-HKG, 30K points each (as opposed to 52.5K from Europe to Asia 2) in business and have them tied together somehow so my bags will check to final destination, or will that not be allowed to happen and I will have to retrieve and re-check bags (and maybe I have to do that anyway, never been to AUH). I still see Qatar availability but I much prefer the times of the Etihad flights. And as usual, the BA flights are there. I see no flights with first class available and Etihad business also seems the best business class option.
You seem to have never transited in other countries?!
If the layover in AUH is less than 24 hours then bags can be checked through, no need to retrieve the bags or even clear immigration -if you're staying airside and prefer lounges over the outside world. You could of course get out and about.

If the layover is more than 24 hours then the bags must be retrieved.

Anyhow to HKG I'd avoid EY at any cost. They use HM aircraft which is old school J class.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by lowside67
Were you downgraded during ticketing, or after you had been issued a ticket? I have been ticketed in F and everything on both AA and EY's sites appears perfect but am curious if I should continue to monitor or if it's good now that it's been issued.

Mark
On queue for ticketing. Dh just got off the phone (gets the same woman every single time) and the rep said the inventory really wasn't available when we booked it even though it appeared to be to them and online. She said they made a request to the ticketing office to change that segment to first and to check back in 72 hours. 90k miles were pulled today but I don't know if that's for dh's ticket or mine.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Had a similar experience today - was unable to book space between SYD-AUH and AUH-JFK with the US Call Center in J (only Y was showing as available). Made calls to the Australian call center and a kind agent assisted me with the bookings.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by edy4eva
You seem to have never transited in other countries?!
If the layover in AUH is less than 24 hours then bags can be checked through, no need to retrieve the bags or even clear immigration -if you're staying airside and prefer lounges over the outside world. You could of course get out and about.

If the layover is more than 24 hours then the bags must be retrieved.

Anyhow to HKG I'd avoid EY at any cost. They use HM aircraft which is old school J class.
I have transited in Europe, where I know you are correct, and I have transited the US where it sucks. I was just verifying I do not plan on leaving the airport.

EY 834 AUH-HKG on SeatGuru does not look like that configuration. So, if you are correct, that is good to know. I'm going to need a bed for that flight.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by niehaubs
I have transited in Europe, where I know you are correct, and I have transited the US where it sucks. I was just verifying I do not plan on leaving the airport.

EY 834 AUH-HKG on SeatGuru does not look like that configuration. So, if you are correct, that is good to know. I'm going to need a bed for that flight.
I don't know if things are changing this year but this should give a good idea about the AUH-HKG flight
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20727712-post8.html

After checking EF, seems now EY fly this route on W and S using their own metal to HKG, so proper EY J service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.