Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Let me add my individual experience. A couple of weeks ago - none of the call centers could find US award availability. (US, Europe, Australia.)

I happened to call the UK number and instead reached a call center in the Caribbean and for them, it was no problem. Flight was ticketed without a hitch.
Your post isn't making sense to me. Please clarify what flight you booked (i.e. origin-destination), and the (approx) date of the flight.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Oct 16, 2017 at 10:27 am
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:11 am

Let me add my individual experience. A couple of weeks ago - none of the call centers could find US award availability. (US, Europe, Australia.)

I happened to call the UK number and instead reached a call center in the Caribbean and for them, it was no problem. Flight was ticketed without a hitch.
What number did you call in UK? And how did it reach the Caribbean?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
throw in DFW AUH as sometimes/should be bookable > 30 days out.
Interesting. Could you provide more info in terms of approximate dates of flights and days booked in advance where DFW-AUH was available?

It would be great to have more info about when you called, what route you got, what class of service it was and how far into the future the flight is. Thanks.

Originally Posted by NWPlatHouston
What number did you call in UK? And how did it reach the Caribbean?
To answer your second question, sometimes AA call centers (and I imagine many other call centers) redirect calls to other countries. For example, if you call the AA Australia and New Zealand numbers you're really calling Fiji, though sometimes (whether due to time of day or Fiji being too busy) the calls instead go through to the Caribbean (either Jamaica or Trinidad & Tobago, I can't recall which).
Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:02 pm

It's trinidad and tobago, 2 weeks ago they couldn't find AUH-JFK either way for any day I asked.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:08 pm

throw in DFW AUH as sometimes/should be bookable > 30 days out.
I called the US center today and was unable to get DFW-AUH or AUH-DFW
other than close in.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:19 am

Can anyone tell me how much the YQ charges would be for the following bookings:

F award CDG-AUH o/w
F award LHR-AUH o/w
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RVH85
Can anyone tell me how much the YQ charges would be for the following bookings:

F award CDG-AUH o/w
F award LHR-AUH o/w
Zero
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Your post isn't making sense to me. Please clarify what flight you booked (i.e. origin-destination), and the (approx) date of the flight.
AUH - ORD, Business.
Mid MAR 2018
Showing as available on EY website
AA could not see it - I was successfully able to book it though by (accidentally) reaching the Caribbean call center a few weeks ago.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by Thunderroad

It would be great to have more info about when you called, what route you got, what class of service it was and how far into the future the flight is. Thanks.
AUH - ORD in business
Mid March 2018
I think the call went to Antigua. They booked it while Australia, Germany and USA could not...
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ravi100
Any success stories on EY to USA for close in travel?
Has anyone been able to figure out the segments issue?

I see available
FRA-AUH: 2 business available
AUH-MLE: 2 business available

FRA-AUH-MLE: No business available

FRA-AUH-MLR: plenty of economy available

AA agent sees both business segments available but cannot book them together.

Any workarounds?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
EY may not have the system to allocate lower level award space to their own members (Ie like CX) so instead they have just turned it off to partners.
I can see the logic in that, but why would it only be certain U.S. routes (such as JFK and LAX) and not, say, LHR or SYD?

This is kind of matches what EY agreed to with AA last year (heck almost a year and half ago) that certain cities out of THE US would only show premium space within 30 days.
Was this an agreement that EY wanted and AA went along with? How did AA implement it?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EP
Last I heard, this occurred when EY turned of all access to AA (at least the US POS). They said they would turn it back on for ay and then allow certain cities to have premium seats at the booking windoand then others only within 30 days. It seemed to have followed this logic/agreement for a while and then EY changed their cities (remember sfo reduced and DFW went to daily) so it “looks like” things may have gone down hill from that.

they seemed to have kept DFW avail for premium bookings. Then that got turned off. And then turned back on. Then all of a sudden NYC has openings, at times, for greater than 30 days out which the AA alliances group could never explain. Then it went away. Never could get a clear answer as to what the hell was going on other than “EY protecting their inventory for their customers”. Then the whole battle with the ME3 escalated and AA codeshare cxld (spring?) and within a few months the non POS access was turned off. Then all of a sudden I am able to book a Dfw auh for next April — so I am confused as to what is going on.

Known - Huge imbalance for awards. EY didn’t have an easy way to protect their premium inventory — with a key issue being that they use the same code (O) for free tickets and upgrades. AA not happy as their policy is no blocking. Agreement in 2016 that it seems like EY was never able to execute.

Unknown - What are we seeejng now? Implementation of their preserve premium inventory strategy across all POS’ based on the 2016 agreement or are they just completely shutting the door

I know I have done a few tests within 30 days and I can’t find a pattern. Called 2 people at Sabre and had them do some tests. Inconclusive. But seems that “directionally” if O or I shows up in Sabre (so EF) the US POS can see the space. Couldn’t do any tests with the non US POS.

My contact has moved on to another group and I have be unable to get an update since May.

We can onky specukate and build off of a few knows.

But I am 99.99% sure this is all being done on the EY side and not the AA side.

UOTE=anabolism;28942255]I can see the logic in that, but why would it only be certain U.S. routes (such as JFK and LAX) and not, say, LHR or SYD?
Was an agreement that EY wanted and AA went along with? How did AA implement it?[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:45 am

Tried UK in the hope it will go over to Caribbean but was answered in Liverpool with no luck. Reached the Caribbean center later by calling 246-428-4170 (agent confirmed she was based in Trinidad) but unable to see any premium availability for AUH-DFW in mid march 2018. Checked 2 whole weeks. EYGuest definitely shows some availability.

Last edited by ravi100; Oct 17, 2017 at 9:51 am
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by ravi100
Tried UK in the hope it will go over to Caribbean but was answered in Liverpool with no luck. Reached the Caribbean center later by calling 246-428-4170 (agent confirmed she was based in Trinidad) but unable to see any premium availability for AUH-DFW in mid march 2018. Checked 2 whole weeks. EYGuest definitely shows some availability.

I just called this number for my return flight KTM-ORD on Dec 2nd (which shows available on the Etihad website) but the lady said she is only showing business class space KTM-AUH but not AUH-ORD.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:16 pm

Is calling Aus/NZ helpful for bookings less than 30 days out? Specifically, etihad.com shows zero availability with one-way searches for JFK-AUH during the next 30 days (and in fact ever). However, there is lots of JFK-AUH availability in the next 30 days if one searches for AUH-JFK-AUH. Is this availability shown in RT searches bookable by Aus/NZ, but not by US agents, i.e. the way it used to be? I know the wiki says calling Aus/NZ is not helpful, but does it apply to <30 days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.