Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:38 am

I was able to placea SYD to AUH EY F in march on hold by calling US center this week. No dice on AUH to LHR or AUH to JFK in J
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:50 pm

So called the NZ call center (as I did a year ago) to book EY F and they keep transferring me for award flights. The person they transfer me to cannot see availability on F, I asked where she is and they are in Trinidad and Tobago, evidently this is where all the international award flight calls are being routed to.

1 year ago I didn't have to transfer to anyone.

[edit] called NZ again, didn't get a transfer and they cannot see any dates in 2018 JFK-AUH

Last edited by patrickf3; Sep 28, 2017 at 3:03 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:07 pm

with the boatload of AA miles I am just thinking of booking on economy for my IAD-AMD trip. Any other suggestions for using award miles for that route in late december? Its peak time so lot of award seats aren't there or vanishing quickly.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by dwatcher
with the boatload of AA miles I am just thinking of booking on economy for my IAD-AMD trip. Any other suggestions for using award miles for that route in late december? Its peak time so lot of award seats aren't there or vanishing quickly.
QR, CX, acombination of some OW airlines ?
Last resort an award booking site.
Also keep trying as often as you can...you may have to connect in India with 9W .
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:11 pm

Ok so I succumbed to economy redemption - I know not best use of miles but having two young child in itinerary and one infant I don't wanna take longer than needed flights.

Right now my award tickets are on hold. Rep came back with almost $700 for infant ticket!! No way adult fare is $7000 on etihad economy. I checked its for around$ 1700 for the dates I want in december for IAD-AMD.

So rep said to contact Etihad and see how much infant can be added for to the existing reservation. That seems odd as why would etihad add infant for award tickets issued by AA. Isn't it?

Should I HUCA? or contact Etihad for infant addition to existing resv? I am bit lost here and not sure how should I proceed?

appreciate any help
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:27 pm

Ok so I succumbed to economy redemption - I know not best use of miles but having two young child in itinerary and one infant I don't wanna take longer than needed flights.

Right now my award tickets are on hold. Rep came back with almost $700 for infant ticket!! No way adult fare is $7000 on etihad economy. I checked its for around$ 1700 for the dates I want in december for IAD-AMD.

So rep said to contact Etihad and see how much infant can be added for to the existing reservation. That seems odd as why would etihad add infant for award tickets issued by AA. Isn't it?

Should I HUCA? or contact Etihad for infant addition to existing resv? I am bit lost here and not sure how should I proceed?

appreciate any help
You have to call Etihad to get the infant lap ticket added even though it is award ticket via AA. The 700$mis definitely incorrect though
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Stivelio
You have to call Etihad to get the infant lap ticket added even though it is award ticket via AA. The 700$mis definitely incorrect though
should I expect 10% of adult price on the travelling days or Etihad is typically more that what AA quoted me?

Thanks
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You will probably have to get AA to issue the ticket - most carriers ime will require the infant to be issued with the adult and will not issue it standalone

AA will charge 10% of the lowest fare for travel that it can sell - this could easily be a lot more than the operating airline would charge siince many fares have restrictions on who can issue it

Looking at IAD-AMD , EY's fares all have restrictions that mean that AA cannot issue them

The lowest 1 way fare that AA can issue would seem to be $5012.00 for an adult => $501.20 for an infant plus taxes/charges of $24.70 for a total of about $523.90

$700 sounds a bit high for economy class
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You will probably have to get AA to issue the ticket - most carriers ime will require the infant to be issued with the adult and will not issue it standalone

AA will charge 10% of the lowest fare for travel that it can sell - this could easily be a lot more than the operating airline would charge siince many fares have restrictions on who can issue it

Looking at IAD-AMD , EY's fares all have restrictions that mean that AA cannot issue them

The lowest 1 way fare that AA can issue would seem to be $5012.00 for an adult => $501.20 for an infant plus taxes/charges of $24.70 for a total of about $523.90

$700 sounds a bit high for economy class
wowser!!! I'm just short of 16000 AA miles otherwise I would just give my 9 months old her own seat.

I have 60k bonus miles coming in but after hold period expires. Now I read that AA doesn't extend hold but can cancel the hold and rebook if seats still available. Also, Citi doesn't expedite bonus miles IIRC.

Also, If I let my hold expire and if I had booked infant fare via AAor EY will any or both refund the infant fare or that is goner??

Thanks,
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EP
If they don’t refund or u feel space might not be available when u have enough miles, you could go ahead and just buy the needed miles now.

wowser!!! I'm just short of 16000 AA miles otherwise I would just give my 9 months old her own seat.

I have 60k bonus miles coming in but after hold period expires. Now I read that AA doesn't extend hold but can cancel the hold and rebook if seats still available. Also, Citi doesn't expedite bonus miles IIRC.

Also, If I let my hold expire and if I had booked infant fare via AAor EY will any or both refund the infant fare or that is goner??

Thanks,
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:04 pm

should I expect 10% of adult price on the travelling days or Etihad is typically more that what AA quoted me?

Thanks
I called Etihad with my Etihad first class seat record locator ( I got this record locator from AA when I made the award reservation) and asked them to add the infant to my reservation. They ​quoted 500$ for an infant seat from hyd-dfw couple of months back and that's what I paid
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Stivelio
I called Etihad with my Etihad first class seat record locator ( I got this record locator from AA when I made the award reservation) and asked them to add the infant to my reservation. They ​quoted 500$ for an infant seat from hyd-dfw couple of months back and that's what I paid
maybe I can just transfer miles from my dad's account and top off my account to get infant her own seat. 16000 miles right now cost me 150+15
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:54 pm

called to both Australia (61-2-91011948) and US for First class redemption; they can't see award space that I'm able to see on EY website.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:05 pm

maybe I can just transfer miles from my dad's account and top off my account to get infant her own seat. 16000 miles right now cost me 150+15
​​​​​​ In the current state there is no use for AA miles on etihad to/from US for biz or first and so I using miles for economy isn't a bad option. However trying calling etihad again just to double check the infant ticket price
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, MileagePlus Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Was there space available on these dates when searching on etihad.com? Was it visible with a one-way search, or only round-trip?

You are providing only minimal information.
Dude, chill out. If you look at the original postI made I said AUH to JFK. One way, bro. Did not say round trip. Also, of course I confirmed the Guest First space is available — on Etihad and Expert flyer — before each call I made. I also took a break to make a ham sandwich, go for a run, and watch some baseball too. But since you wanted info, if you search 9.5 to 10 months out you’ll generally find 9 business guest seats and 2 first guest on every EY103 and EY101 flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.