Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by joeypore
I've heard back; however, there doesn't seem to be a clear answer.

I spoke with Etihad, who said that when a "better connection" is available, they send an email to someone at AA with the proposed schedule change. AA can then decide to accept or reject it.

However, AA is told this is a "schedule change" not simply a "better connection available" so they accept it, assuming there is no other option. This is Etihad's error for sure, in saying that it's a schedule change, but perhaps there is no other way to indicate it (Definitely should be though if there's not already).

I then called AA, and spoke with two separate agents who said that as they are being told by Etihad that it's a schedule change, they accept the change assuming there is no other option. Both agents had never personally heard of an airline submitting a "schedule change" for a "better connection available."

Supposedly, there are now notes on both AA's and EY's side of things in relation to my bookings saying that I do NOT want any changes to be made to these flights. However, I have no idea whether or not this will be useful in practice.

Perhaps most annoyingly, the first AA rep I spoke with acted as if it wouldn't be a problem to simply "find another option" if my flights were changed to flights I didn't like. I very sternly (but kindly) explained not only the problem with Etihad inventory not showing up for many US-based AA agents, but also, the fact that these are some of the most desired award seats in all of the One World network, and it would quite a serious issue if they simply released without my consent and subsequently grabbed by someone else.

Perhaps the FT Etihad rep can comment on this? If there is an official way to indicate on a reservation that the passenger does NOT want any changes to be made to their itinerary, it would be most appreciated.

I know that on revenue tickets, I book intentionally long layovers on purpose all the time to have lunch with friends, attend a meeting, or see a city. I couldn't imagine the backlash the US airlines would get from involuntarily changing revenue tickets without an operational need to do so. I understand these tickets are purchased with miles, but for all intents and purposes, they should be treated as revenue tickets.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I've never heard of this happening before, but it definitely sucks you have to go through this. Sorry you have to deal with this stress.

And I totally agree, long connections/layovers are intentionally booked all the time for various reasons, so I'm not sure what Etihad is thinking here...

Looking at my itinerary, if they moved my flights around to reduce my connection time then I'd need an extra hotel night in either BOM or NYC...

E.g., my current BOM-AUH flight departs at 4:20 AM, so if they pushed me back to one of the later flights I'd need an extra hotel night in BOM. Conversely my current AUH-JFK flight arrives at JFK 9:35 AM, so if they moved me up to the earlier flight I'd need an extra hotel night in NYC. Needless to say I'd lose my mind if any of that happened without my consent!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Pleasant experience today with a US based AAgent changing an award for today. Originally scheduled ORD-DFW-AUH with an overnight and then on to MLE on Sunday. Got email alerts from AA stating that there would be "severe weather that could impact my trip and to contact AA" if I wanted to look at alternatives. With our trip being so complex (and not wanting to have it screwed up because of weather), the AAgent was able to get us ORD-BOS-JFK-AUH. we are in Y for the ORD-BOS-JFK legs (the last leg we got J seats on the 321T but Y service) and then F on the Jetihad flight JFK-AUH. Not ideal but it doesn't mess up our plans which I am thankful for. DFW is forecasting severe thunderstorms, golfball size hail and tornadoes this afternoon and we just did not want to get caught up in that clusterflux. The AAgent saw the EY availability easily, was able to request seats for us and everything was reticketed in a matter of minutes. I was able to pull up the itinerary on the EY website and all shows confirmed. Got excited when I saw F space on the LHR-AUH leg when I was doing some research but then realized I had set the search for one seat instead of 2 (boo).
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Question about traveling on EY - I'm flying in the First Class 'Apartment' from AUH-JFK in a few weeks and have a connecting flight several hours later on AA from JFK to my final destination. Since I won't need to clear customs at JFK will I be able to use the EY First Class Lounge @ JFK after my arrival to wait for my connecting flight?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:19 pm

Your final destination is domestic, right? You would need to clear customs coming in from AUH.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by paladin732
Your final destination is domestic, right? You would need to clear customs coming in from AUH.
No he will not. US Immigration and Customs formalities are performed in Abu Dhabi prior to departure. At arrival in the USA, passengers disembark and luggage is handled as a domestic flight

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Question about traveling on EY - I'm flying in the First Class 'Apartment' from AUH-JFK in a few weeks and have a connecting flight several hours later on AA from JFK to my final destination. Since I won't need to clear customs at JFK will I be able to use the EY First Class Lounge @ JFK after my arrival to wait for my connecting flight?
Etihad does not offer arrivals lounge facilities.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:09 pm

Really? Totally did not know that. Any other international flight I have ever been in, you go through customs in the US?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No he will not. US Immigration and Customs formalities are performed in Abu Dhabi prior to departure. At arrival in the USA, passengers disembark and luggage is handled as a domestic flight
I've never been through AUH before, but I remember seeing that AUH is on the GE list.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-tr...ntry/locations
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by paladin732
Really? Totally did not know that. Any other international flight I have ever been in, you go through customs in the US?
There a handful of airports that have US customs facilities, so you pre-clear as if you're entering the states while you're still in the airport in the other country.

I personally find it quite annoying. I'd rather be able to spend more time in the lounge / at my hotel, rather than having to get to the airport super early, and then stuck in a terminal with usually a mediocre lounge and limited facilities (cough, Dublin...)

In any case, regarding using the Etihad lounge on arrival, I think he was referring to the standard departure lounge, since the flight arrives as domestic.

That's a good question, and I'd like to know the answer as well.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joeypore
In any case, regarding using the Etihad lounge on arrival, I think he was referring to the standard departure lounge, since the flight arrives as domestic.

That's a good question, and I'd like to know the answer as well.
Yes, correct - just wondering about the standard departures lounge.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Yes, correct - just wondering about the standard departures lounge.
No access
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:38 pm

Just had a schedule change for a booking in November AUH-JFK in F.

I was ticketed for EY101 (Jetihad) because EY103 (A380) was not available. Looks like for whatever reason they moved me to EY103. Fine, twist my arm!

Is this common?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by slice
Just had a schedule change for a booking in November AUH-JFK in F.

I was ticketed for EY101 (Jetihad) because EY103 (A380) was not available. Looks like for whatever reason they moved me to EY103. Fine, twist my arm!

Is this common?
That's awesome! Though the opposite would really suck...

Do you have any connections in AUH? If you read joeypore's story from the last couple of pages, it seems Etihad changed his flights (without his consent) to reduce this connection time in AUH...even though that change completely messed up all the other reasons he booked those specific flights.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by arctann
That's awesome! Though the opposite would really suck...

Do you have any connections in AUH? If you read joeypore's story from the last couple of pages, it seems Etihad changed his flights (without his consent) to reduce this connection time in AUH...even though that change completely messed up all the other reasons he booked those specific flights.
Arriving in AUH from MLE. So moving from a 12 hour overnight connection to just a 4 hour connection. So, don't need the hotel in AUH now either!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by slice
Arriving in AUH from MLE. So moving from a 12 hour overnight connection to just a 4 hour connection. So, don't need the hotel in AUH now either!
While I'm happy for you as you get both the A380 and no need for a hotel...this trend is very worrying for me. I very much intentionally built in a ~20 hour connection in AUH for my BOM-AUH-JFK trip... If Etihad does me "favor" and reduces my connection time in AUH by changing my flights around it's going to create all kinds of problems...
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by arctann
While I'm happy for you as you get both the A380 and no need for a hotel...this trend is very worrying for me. I very much intentionally built in a ~20 hour connection in AUH for my BOM-AUH-JFK trip... If Etihad does me "favor" and reduces my connection time in AUH by changing my flights around it's going to create all kinds of problems...
If I were you, I would give both AA and EY a call and have them notate that you do not want your flights changed to "reduce a connection time."

Be sure to carefully explain to the AAgent the reason Etihad would change the flights, and that if the original flight you booked still exists if a "schedule change" transfers you to another flight, that it is an undesired change. There's no guarantee this will work, and I can't seem to find any other accounts of this either working or not working, but it's worth a shot.

Once my reservations re-ticket back to the original flight within the next few days, I'm going to set up my Etihad chauffeur and seat assignments (another annoyance as a result of this... all of this has essentially disappeared...quite an unnecessary hassle), and when I do this, I'm going to see if the notes I asked the agent the other day to add are still there. Hopefully so.

Plus, if this request is at least noted somewhere in your reservation on both AA and EY's side, then IF the worst case scenario happens, should they change your flight involuntarily and then the award space disappears or is snatched, then you might have a better chance at getting it resolved. Obviously no guarantees, but every bit of anecdotal evidence could help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.