Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2018+)

Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

First, a hearty welcome to Executive Platinum status!

New Executive Platinum members, whether "self-made", via your Concierge Key nomination or made by AA offers, including challenges, to similar status holders from competing airlines, often have questions about how the program works.

Feel free to post your questions here, but also be aware many of your questions about American Airlines, AAdvantage and Executive Platinum status can be answered in these resources:
Link to What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (consolidated) thread on FT

Link to AAdvantage Elite Status guide and charts on aa.com

Link to "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!" thread.
● For older posts, please see:
Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2017+)

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by jpasiczn

go on...how does this work?
Fly on AA. Credit the miles to BA. Try to fly segments greater than 2,000 miles so you earn a lot of Tier Points. Once you get to 1500 Tier Points, you are BA Gold. There's a great Flyertalk thread all about earning Tier Points, though it skews toward people living across the Atlantic Ocean.

Once you are BA Gold, when you enter the airport and have an upcoming Oneworld flight, you can use most F lounges from a Oneworld carrier. If you only make it to BA Silver, you'll use the business lounges. Makes a huge difference.

Eat and drink well in the lounge, sleep/read on the plane. American's Flagship Lounges and other Oneworld F lounges are fantastic. Up in the air, even American flight attendants will tell you that Trailways buses are more pleasant for long-distance travel.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 .5 MM
June 16, 2018 Made it almost same time as last year thanks to major long hauls.

EQD 16,379
EGM 125,652
EQS. 17
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Qualifying flights (on BA) June 15, posted June 18, 2018 .

EQD - 12,119
EQM - 112,197
EQS -.46

Earliest I have ever hit EXP Qualification by a long-shot.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by bse118
Qualifying flights (on BA) June 15, posted June 18, 2018 .

EQD - 12,119
EQM - 112,197
EQS -.46

Earliest I have ever hit EXP Qualification by a long-shot.
Similar here - just posted on 6/17 for 6/15-6/16 flying:
EQD - 13,361
EQM - 112,126
EQS - 44

Usually qualify in September or so but Asia flying is way up this year
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Qualified last week
EQD 16,641
EQM 104,.318
EQS 27
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:28 am

Re-qualified earlier this week.
EQD 22,944
EQM 111,346
EQS 65

One RDU-DFW-NRT-SIN-NRT-LAX-RDU mileage run early this year, and one business RT RDU-LHR-BOM did the trick. The almost weekly RDU-LGA trips are completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Re-qualified a while back in June:
EQD: 21,780
EQM: 111,713
EQS: 20

Thanks to long haul flights.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EP, SPG Ambassador (lifetime plat)
I just got platinum pro with 90 flights. Not quite at EXP but will be soon.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA
This is my first year being EXP. I'll requalify for 2019 after a trip to KOA later this month. (have 14,908 EQD and 92,194 EQM so far). The question I have for you guys is about the expanded saver award availability AA has on their site. I called the EXP desk about it and they said that I what I see online is what I get. Is that really true? Because whatever award availability I see online under my account is exactly what I see after I log off - which is really not much.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador

Just made it!

Called to have upgrade on Sunday relisted as EXP and agent said it was still too new and unable to do it showed as EXP in her system but not on the reservation?

Anyway, Im here
Old Jul 26, 2018, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by moonwoo
This is my first year being EXP. I'll requalify for 2019 after a trip to KOA later this month. (have 14,908 EQD and 92,194 EQM so far). The question I have for you guys is about the expanded saver award availability AA has on their site. I called the EXP desk about it and they said that I what I see online is what I get. Is that really true? Because whatever award availability I see online under my account is exactly what I see after I log off - which is really not much.
From personal experience and reading the board, this seems to be a very elusive benefit that possibly is completely gone but still appears in the benefits list for EXP. And you're right- some agents don't even know it exists as a possible benefit to begin with...
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by moonwoo
100% BS myth.

Doesn't exist. Perhaps in the past sure but not now.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
100% BS myth.

Doesn't exist. Perhaps in the past sure but not now.
But it sounds so good in the marketing materials they dont want to delete it.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dave_261
From personal experience and reading the board, this seems to be a very elusive benefit that possibly is completely gone but still appears in the benefits list for EXP. And you're right- some agents don't even know it exists as a possible benefit to begin with...
+1
Called twice last night to see if this might exist. The second agent even berated me for asking about it...
prw555 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by aacar
+1
Called twice last night to see if this might exist. The second agent even berated me for asking about it...
I wouldn't write it off 100% but it's probably very, very, very, very rare to get these days (see the thread here) and even rare to find agents that know of it. From past adventures with this, it would only appear when an Executive Platinum number was populated on the agent's side during a phone call and any "expanded" availability that was offered, was most certainly not visible via the aa.com channel when logged in as an Executive Platinum.

Some agents would jump right to QMAX (for which no requests in premium buckets can be queued as of a year or more) but I don't believe that it was the same thing.

Perhaps JonNYC, JDiver, or someone else on FT with insider knowledge knows of the current state of this still-published benefit or even where its availability would pull from. It's a mustache-twirler as to why it's still visibly published unless it's really referring to QMAX.

Then again, so are TATL sAAver flights on AA metal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.