Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2018+)

Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

First, a hearty welcome to Executive Platinum status!

New Executive Platinum members, whether "self-made", via your Concierge Key nomination or made by AA offers, including challenges, to similar status holders from competing airlines, often have questions about how the program works.

Feel free to post your questions here, but also be aware many of your questions about American Airlines, AAdvantage and Executive Platinum status can be answered in these resources:
Link to What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (consolidated) thread on FT

Link to AAdvantage Elite Status guide and charts on aa.com

Link to "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!" thread.
● For older posts, please see:
Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2017+)

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EP
Not a major deal, but on my first leg as an EP in economy from CHS to CLT the cabin crew refused to dispense anything but those mini bottles of water and orange juice and pretzels. Short flight which is why there was no bev cart, but thought that was pretty aggressive of them to not allow EPs their free snack box and full drink. I didn't see a minimum mileage on the benefits page so I assumed the perk was for all flights, guess not..
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by samm
Not a major deal, but on my first leg as an EP in economy from CHS to CLT the cabin crew refused to dispense anything but those mini bottles of water and orange juice and pretzels. Short flight which is why there was no bev cart, but thought that was pretty aggressive of them to not allow EPs their free snack box and full drink. I didn't see a minimum mileage on the benefits page so I assumed the perk was for all flights, guess not..
Snack boxes are definitely limited to 3hr or longer flights unless it is a specially designated segment. Since it is such a short flight, they may have not been catered to offer any other drinks in Y, other than the water and OJ, although I have had success in getting a Bloody Mary on AUS-DFW on occasion in Y.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Snack boxes are definitely limited to 3hr or longer flights unless it is a specially designated segment. Since it is such a short flight, they may have not been catered to offer any other drinks in Y, other than the water and OJ, although I have had success in getting a Bloody Mary on AUS-DFW on occasion in Y.
thanks, ya, sorry should have been more clear. I didn't even ask for food since I assumed it wasn't on the plane. But in regards to drinks, if the cabin is intentionally not being catered on short routes due to the route being short, that's something they do know ahead of time... and then the benefit should be worded accordingly, since they're aware short hops won't have the supplies on board by their own choosing, right?

In other words, if it's not a one-off situation, and every flight under say 500 miles (just picked a random number) is set up to not have a full beverage cart, then the EP benefit should say, "1 free drink on flights longer than 500 miles; less than 500 miles supplies permitting"
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, HH Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by samm
I've been doing well with upgrades this year (10 / 12 so far). The 2 that I didn't get upgraded were DFW-SNA and SNA-DFW last week.
On the DFW-SNA flight, the FA's offered me nothing beyond the normal pretzels and cup of soda. It was an early flight - 10:35am - 11:58am. I wasn't sure if I had to ask , and didn't want to be a pain. This was the 1st time I have been in coach in over a year, and didn't know if there was a 'procedure' that needed to be followed. I was going to ask on the return SNA-DFW flight.

While on the SNA-DFW flght, the FA asked me if I'd like a complimentary meal or snack. I asked for the pringles.. She noticed my son (no status , 19 years old) was sitting next to me, and she asked him if he wanted something, and he got the pringles. She also gave me a full can of soda, and she gave my son a full can too. Another FA spent several minutes chatting about my trip, etc. Really a nice experience overall, as I've only had those kind of interractions in J/F or at the AC.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by skydve1
I've been doing well with upgrades this year (10 / 12 so far). The 2 that I didn't get upgraded were DFW-SNA and SNA-DFW last week.
On the DFW-SNA flight, the FA's offered me nothing beyond the normal pretzels and cup of soda. It was an early flight - 10:35am - 11:58am. I wasn't sure if I had to ask , and didn't want to be a pain. This was the 1st time I have been in coach in over a year, and didn't know if there was a 'procedure' that needed to be followed. I was going to ask on the return SNA-DFW flight.

While on the SNA-DFW flght, the FA asked me if I'd like a complimentary meal or snack. I asked for the pringles.. She noticed my son (no status , 19 years old) was sitting next to me, and she asked him if he wanted something, and he got the pringles. She also gave me a full can of soda, and she gave my son a full can too. Another FA spent several minutes chatting about my trip, etc. Really a nice experience overall, as I've only had those kind of interractions in J/F or at the AC.
You might be asked, or not. Either way you are entitled to a free snack and beverage, including one alcoholic beverage if you prefer, gratis as EP. In my opinion, I’d have given the second FA one of my “above and beyond” certificates (or, you can Tweet a DM to @AmericanAir to offer kudos.)

The first FA sounds like s/he just did her basic job. The second FA did a great job, particularly giving a snack to your son and chatting briefly.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:42 pm

Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ruckover
Wild. It's not even April!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Similar numbers here:

EQD: 26,000
EQM: 112,000
Segments: 20

Wonder if I should start crediting to BA.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by potus18
Wild. It's not even April!
I know. This is the earliest in the year it has ever happened for me. I finished last year just north of 300k EQMs and at this pace and given planned intl travel, I might exceed 400k EQMs this year.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by justforfun
I don't see any reason to continue crediting to AA after I hit EXP except for the rolling EQDs and measly 2 SWUs every 50k. I've gone well beyond $30k EQDs and CK is still elusive (and the ROI is debatable even if you do get it). I immediately start earning on either LATAM or QF so that I can hit Emerald with them and enjoy the Flagship Check-in and Lounges on domestic flights, among other benefits.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by zpaul
I don't see any reason to continue crediting to AA after I hit EXP except for the rolling EQDs and measly 2 SWUs every 50k. I've gone well beyond $30k EQDs and CK is still elusive (and the ROI is debatable even if you do get it). I immediately start earning on either LATAM or QF so that I can hit Emerald with them and enjoy the Flagship Check-in and Lounges on domestic flights, among other benefits.
i have been CK for a few years. I may be wrong about this but I believe the status is spend-based. I average $50k EQD. If you consolidated your spend on AA, you might get it.
zpaul likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by justforfun
Similar numbers here:

EQD: 26,000
EQM: 112,000
Segments: 20

BA Gold, and the ability to enjoy F lounges whenever you are flying Oneworld, is a fantastic perk.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold

i have been CK for a few years. I may be wrong about this but I believe the status is spend-based. I average $50k EQD. If you consolidated your spend on AA, you might get it.
That's just the point, though - I might get it. I hit $42k EQD and 217k EQMs two years ago and didn't get it. Last year my year-end totals (combined programs) were $44k and 221k which anecdotally wouldn't have qualified me if I had kept it all with AA. The domestic US benefits of being international Emerald are pretty nice, so until I have a confirmed reason to stick with AA, this is my strategy for now.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:04 pm

Crossed the line last Friday. Not bad for a simple dentist. 3 more international J trips this year, probably still not enough for CK
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
BA Gold, and the ability to enjoy F lounges whenever you are flying Oneworld, is a fantastic perk.
go on...how does this work?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.