Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Which, Access, Rules

Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolcoil
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2018)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
    • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
      • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
        • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.

Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups or offer guesting in should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

Sincerely,
The American Airlines AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)
=================end mod note===================

The kduarte Lounge Access tool page is unavailable

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 2015, authorized card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service - except if flying solely within North America inc,Using destinations other than MEX or the Caribbean. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com. Threads about these are linked to in the American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD thread.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

For AA status-based access (PLT, PlatPro or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in North America (other than on certain three class transcontinental flights) including other destinations in Mexico, and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT and PPRO members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, now including Flagship Lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Emerald / EP on CX JFK-YVR are not subject to AA limitations and are issued Flagship Lounge invitations for use at JFK.

Another confusing rule relates to transcontinental access. From member FriendlySkies:

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental* Flight? http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

More changes:

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin (on flights sold as three classes) in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access. one world lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."
Important Note: Though this announcement excluded Northern South America and Central America, those travelling to or from those destinations in J/F or whom hold OWE or OWS, including AA elites, do indeed have access to the Flagship Lounge. See the link below for Flagship Lounge access rules for details.

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on Americans 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining in 2017
All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages and counter snacks (fruit, some kind of snack mix, cheese cubes, hot cereal mornings and soup evenings are the most common - recent additions have been made); free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: Some Lounges and Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ended July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014.

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingone world and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require AAdvantage members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

Beginning later in 2017: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp opens Flagship access to many more pax.

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● Last year's thread:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Which, Access, Rules

Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

If the ORD-LAX is under five hours (presuming it is) then it falls within the one world connecting lounge access rules. You’ll have access to any available oneworld lounge at the connecting point. Separate tickets shouldn’t be an issue.

Thanks. Flight is under 5 hours. Have not heard of this rule. It sounds like something an AA dragon lounge may not have heard of either? Hopefully will be easy..

EDIT: Just looked it up. Looks like a no go for this situation?
  • Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
    • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
The following exceptions apply:
  1. First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

If the ORD-LAX is under five hours (presuming it is) then it falls within the one world connecting lounge access rules. Youll have access to any available oneworld lounge at the connecting point. Separate tickets shouldnt be an issue.
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Thanks. Flight is under 5 hours. Have not heard of this rule. It sounds like something an AA dragon lounge may not have heard of either? Hopefully will be easy..

EDIT: Just looked it up. Looks like a no go for this situation?
Based on your same day IB business flight you definitely have lounge access in ORD, not only can you use the AC but also the much nicer Flaghsip Lounge, separate tickets dont matter but make sure to save your IB boarding pass to show for entry.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I am flying into ORD in Iberia Business (presume T5) and then flying out later that day in American First to LAX from Terminal 3. Will I be able to access Admirals Club in T3 with the Iberia business class boarding pass? The tickets were booked separately and the Iberia flight booked directly through Iberia. I do not have status.

I have a long 8 hour laylower. If Admirals Club is not possible, can I use the T5 BA lounge on arrival/connecting?
Again, and I think youre over-reading the rules: yes, youre departing on a domestic flight that would of itself not provide access, but your arriving flight in combination with a oneworld connection do. Even if theyre separate tickets and PNRs.

As youre arriving in Business class on a oneworld carrier operated qualifying (transatlantic) flight, and you are connecting the same day (by 6 a.m. the next morning), you will be able to access the Admirals Club or Flagship Lounge.

You may be asked for your incoming and outgoing boarding passes to show you meet the access criteria. The lounge staff are very likely to know this is a qualified access, but if for some reason you get denied by someone who is ignorant of the rules, please ask for a supervisor.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
As others have confirmed, you will have lounge access.

I have benefited from this rule several times over the last couple years at various AAdmirals Clubs and Flagship lounges - connecting off BA onto domestic AA flights. I've even had double connections (for example arriving JFK flying to DCA and then to the final destination) and lounge access has been provided with no issues at both JFK and DCA. Just show the inbound TATL boarding pass. This has applied regardless of the class of service for any of the domestic connecting flights (some have been in F, some in coach).
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I recently had a query about guest access to the Heathrow T3 arrivals lounge. We flew in Business and we are here now and have a definitive answer. EXP (OWE) is allowed access, even if in economy, but no guest or companion may enter. I know I took my wife in with me once before. They told me that "years ago" you could bring a guest but no longer. And you cannot pay to enter either.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I recently had a query about guest access to the Heathrow T3 arrivals lounge. We flew in Business and we are here now and have a definitive answer. EXP (OWE) is allowed access, even if in economy, but no guest or companion may enter. I know I took my wife in with me once before. They told me that "years ago" you could bring a guest but no longer. And you cannot pay to enter either.
Arrival is the exception - no guest allowed.

See full wiki here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

Last edited by andersonCooper; Oct 20, 2018 at 7:10 am
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz
No, no guests.

You used to be able to pay for access, but the price plus VAT was ludicrous.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:50 am

Lhr > mia > mco

Hi,

Were flying LHR -> MCO with a layover at MIA in both directions. The transatlantic flights are BA business (Club World) and MIA to/from MCO is AA domestic first (on a 2-class plane). Im familiar with the LHR lounges but have some questions about MIA and MCO:
- what lounge(s) will we have access to at MIA on the way out?
- what lounge(s) will we have access to at MCO on the way back?
- what lounge(s) will we have access to at MIA on the way back?

Thank you!
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by green_tie
Hi,

Were flying LHR -> MCO with a layover at MIA in both directions. The transatlantic flights are BA business (Club World) and MIA to/from MCO is AA domestic first (on a 2-class plane). Im familiar with the LHR lounges but have some questions about MIA and MCO:

Thank you!
At MIA you can use the Flagship Lounge based on your same day BA flight in business (both ways), and at MCO the Admirals Club will be your only option.

There is also the "Premium Lounge" at MIA in terminal E, but there is nothing premium about it (it's a dump compared to the FL). This is technically the lounge that BA uses though and is closer to the BA gates in E.
green_tie likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by green_tie
Hi,

Thank you!
In Miami in both directions you'll have access to any oneworld lounge. BA flies out of E, but I'd recommend the Flagship Lounge by D30 if you have some time. Otherwise you can go to the lounge in E to be nearer the gate. It's only a 10 minute walk or so, though.

You would also have Admirals Club access in Orlando.
green_tie likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
General admirals club membership question: If I hold an Admirals Club membership and am flying as a non-revenue passenger holding a same day standby boarding pass, will I be admitted? The website only references a same day boarding pass but does not differentiate between a confirmed seat vs standby.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by FluxTZ
General admirals club membership question: If I hold an Admirals Club membership and am flying as a non-revenue passenger holding a same day standby boarding pass, will I be admitted? The website only references a same day boarding pass but does not differentiate between a confirmed seat vs standby.
At this time, as an Admirals Club member (annual or via Citi Executive Card) you will be admitted to the Admirals Club any time you’re airside where there’s a Club.

As of November 2019, you’ll have to have a boarding pass for the same day on AA, AS or a one world airline, even if you have Club membership.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
As others have confirmed, you will have lounge access.

I have benefited from this rule several times over the last couple years at various AAdmirals Clubs and Flagship lounges - connecting off BA onto domestic AA flights. I've even had double connections (for example arriving JFK flying to DCA and then to the final destination) and lounge access has been provided with no issues at both JFK and DCA. Just show the inbound TATL boarding pass. This has applied regardless of the class of service for any of the domestic connecting flights (some have been in F, some in coach).
Awesome, thanks. Side question, does connecting from an IB business class flight onto an AA domestic flight on a separate ticket allow you to get a free bag on the domestic AA flight? I don't think checking the bag through is possible because bags have to be pciekd up and re-checked for customs purposes?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awesome, thanks. Side question, does connecting from an IB business class flight onto an AA domestic flight on a separate ticket allow you to get a free bag on the domestic AA flight? I don't think checking the bag through is possible because bags have to be pciekd up and re-checked for customs purposes?
This depends if IB will check bags through on separate tickets and has nothing to do with the fact that you have to claim and recheck your bags for US Customs.

If yes, then they will tag your bag to your final destination, you will still have to pick it up at your port of entry in to the US, but after customs you simply drop it off at the re-check belt and head to your next flight. No additional baggage fees will be due.

If no, then you will have to check in again for your AA flight and pay any bag fees that are due.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Off topic from this thread, assuming your BA Bronze is still valid, you will get a free checked bag.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.