Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Which, Access, Rules

Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolcoil
HELP DESK: Lounge Access, Access Rules. Will I Have Lounge Access? (2018)
Please read this wiki carefully; some fine nuances exist.

PLEASE DO NOT ALTER THE CONTENT OF THIS MODERATOR NOTE

The Lounge Access Help Desk

To assist members with questions about Lounge Access Rules that they have not been able to answer on their own using the above resources, the AA Moderator team has decided to institute this thread, the third in a series of "Help Desk" threads. N.B.: If you have questions about physical access to a specific lounge (e.g., airside vs. landside, different terminal, etc.), please search for and post to the appropriate specific thread for that lounge.

New threads on this topic will be merged into this one and bumped by the moderators as necessary. As such, we do not expect that this thread will develop into a searchable database, but that it will nonetheless provide a valuable resource to members. As well, we may shed / pare down posts from time to time to a trailing thread or similar device.

Our goal is to provide a place where members can feel welcome to post such questions and expect helpful, accurate responses. In this way, we hope to accommodate the needs and desires of both new and veteran members - those who aren't sure they are interpreting the available resources correctly can ask for help without fear of snarky-appearing responses; those who do not wish to participate in such threads are invited and, indeed, encouraged, to ignore this thread.

Please be forewarned: This thread will be subject to heavy moderation. Posts that are incorrect will be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST answers unless you are 100% sure your answer is complete and correct. Posts that are unhelpful or off-topic will also be subject to deletion without notice - DO NOT POST unless you can be friendly, helpful, concise, and salient.

Finally, a few guidelines for members posting queries to this thread:
  • Please DO make an effort to review the listed resources before posting here.
    • Please DO try to give as much information as possible, including your entire itinerary, with carrier for each segment and codeshares and stopovers clearly designated, your class of service and fare class purchased, whether or not you have Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership, a Citi AAdvantage Executive card (which includes full Admirals Club membership), and the number of guests and your family relationship with them, if any.
      • Please DO understand it could take some time for answers (especially on holidays and weekends.)
        • Please DO thank helpful members volunteering to reply to your questions.

Note: Members interested in arranging AA lounge meet-ups or offer guesting in should use this thread: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge Meet Up & Guest Offer (master thread)

Also see the future changes in lounges and access: Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge Changes, Renovations & Additions

Sincerely,
The American Airlines AAdvantage forum Moderator Team
(Help Desk established by dstan)
=================end mod note===================

The kduarte Lounge Access tool page is unavailable

Help Desk: Lounge Access Rules / Will I Have Lounge Access?

Lounge Access can be obtained in a number of ways during travel on AA and its oneworld partner airlines. These include purchasing an Admirals Club one day pass, or via Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard (including, as of Dec 2015, authorized card users), reciprocity agreements with other airlines, traveling on certain transcon flights in F or J, or traveling internationally with Platinum (oneworld Sapphire) or Executive Platinum (oneworld Emerald) status or in F or J classes of service - except if flying solely within North America inc,Using destinations other than MEX or the Caribbean. The last is often the greatest source of confusion, despite lounge access rules being described clearly on aa.com. Threads about these are linked to in the American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD thread.

Admirals Club members paid or Executive cardholder members) are entitled guests as follows:

Up to two guests or household members (spouse, domestic partner and/or children under the age of 18) may accompany the member.
* Note that AA no longer offers a 30-day membership as of July 25 2016.

For AA status-based access (PLT, PlatPro or EXP),* passengers must: (1) be traveling on an international itinerary (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City, excluding the Caribbean and other destinations in North America (other than on certain three class transcontinental flights) including other destinations in Mexico, and (2) have an onward flight on a oneworld airline marketed and operated flight on the same day. PLT and PPRO members are eligible for access to all oneworld Business Class lounges, now including Flagship Lounges, including Admirals Clubs; EXP members are also eligible for access to all oneworld First Class lounges, including Flagship Lounges.

Lounges operated by third parties or premium lunges operating outside of oneworld rules (e.g. BA Concorde Room, Qatar Al Safwa or Al Mourjan lounges) may be excluded, and all may may refuse admittance if they claim they are crowded. There are other exceptions.

*Non-AA oneworld Sapphire and Emerald elites are not subject to rule #1 above.

Emerald / EP on CX JFK-YVR are not subject to AA limitations and are issued Flagship Lounge invitations for use at JFK.

Another confusing rule relates to transcontinental access. From member FriendlySkies:

Traveling on a Non-Stop Transcontinental* Flight? http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/trans-con-access.jsp

More changes:

If you are traveling in the First or Business class cabin (on flights sold as three classes) in one of the following non-stop markets, we welcome you to visit the lounge as indicated below.

The following exceptions apply:

First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access. one world lounge access page - link
On February 17 2016, AA announced an addition to the above. As stated on their Reimagining our lounges page, in the Flagship Lounges section, "Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights."
Important Note: Though this announcement excluded Northern South America and Central America, those travelling to or from those destinations in J/F or whom hold OWE or OWS, including AA elites, do indeed have access to the Flagship Lounge. See the link below for Flagship Lounge access rules for details.

In the Flagship Dining subsection, they state:

Beginning in early 2017, the Flagship Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

● Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)

● New York (JFK)

● Miami (MIA)

● Los Angeles (LAX)

First Class customers on Americans 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship Dining in 2017
All Admirals Club visitors receive free Wi-Fi access at Admirals Clubs (password is available at front desk and throughout the Club on signs), some non-alcoholic and "well" (lower price tier) alcoholic beverages and counter snacks (fruit, some kind of snack mix, cheese cubes, hot cereal mornings and soup evenings are the most common - recent additions have been made); free computer terminals are available for all passengers, and many Clubs have Business Centers and tethered Samsung Galaxy tablets in seating areas. Passengers accessing Admirals Clubs based on status or class of service on international travel are entitled to free drinks coupons usable for higher-tier non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages and bottles of water.

Flagship Lounges (JFK, LAX, LHR and ORD) offer extended beverages and upscale snack services as well. See below for link.

NOTE: Some Lounges and Clubs are undergoing refurbishment.

Citi Prestige MasterCard holder Admirals Club access ended July 23, 2017.

American Express Platinum cardholder Admirals Club access ended 21 March 2014.

NOTE: It has been verified more airports are allowing multiple terminal access on one's day of departure. LAX has been one since mid-2014.

Admirals Club access is granted the day of flight for statusholders flyingone world and those flying F or J, or the following day at the first port of arrival if flying overnight and arriving by 0600.

Airports requiring Lounge users have a same day departure boarding pass include BOG, CCS, CDG, GIG, GRU, LHR, MEX, NRT, SCL, YYZ.

N.B. Qantas Lounges and Clubs require Smart Casual (sic) dress as of May 2015; those not meeting the standard may be turned away. They also require AAdvantage members be traveling on a departing AA marketed flight.

Please see the following resources for full details on Lounge Access Rules: (and see below)

. . . ● AA.com: Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● AA.com: American Airlines Flagship Lounge Access Rules

Beginning later in 2017: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-updates.jsp opens Flagship access to many more pax.

. . . ● AA.com: Reimaging our lounges

. . . ● AA.com: Admirals Club Membership Guide in a downloadable PDF format.

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT: American Airlines LOUNGE DASHBOARD

For various threads on membership, access by status, transcon service, class of service, Flagship lounge access, lounges directory with links to specific lounge threads, Club member access to partner lounges, recipripocity agreements, etc.

. . . ● Last year's thread:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Which, Access, Rules

Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
No lounge access on domestic F?

Hi there,

new to the AA forum...

Just booked a LHR-LAX and SFO-LAX-LHR in Business Class for later this year.

On the return the SFO-LAX leg will be in First Class operated by American Eagle.
Will I get access to the Admirals Club in SFO for this flight?

If not any recommendations to spend a few hours in that terminal?

Just found on the AA.com site that lounge access for domestic flights is only for the transcontinental flights.
Never heard that you are not getting lounge access when flying First / Business - at least with all the European
and Asian carriers I took in those classes before...

Will they allow me in with my onward LAX-LHR business class ticket or no chance?

If not, any recommendations to spend a few hours prior to the flight in this terminal?

Last edited by Mr. LAU; Aug 1, 2018 at 10:33 am Reason: .
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Connecting to international J, you will have Admiral's Club access in SFO and then Flasgship Lounge access at LAX.

None of the US carriers have provided lounge access to domestic passengers based on class of service for approximately the last 30 years. It isn't built into the fare structure and US consumers generally prefer cheaper fares and then add-ons for baggage, lounge, and the like.
AA100k likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
As Often1 said, you get lounge access because you are on an international J itinerary. You'd have it both ways too - ie, if you're connecting from LHR to LAX to SFO (you're not but just an example), you'd also be able to access the flagship lounge in LAX and the AC on arrival in SFO. If you were flying in domestic F only from SFO-LAX, with no onward international business itinerary, no dice. Only exceptions are domestic business or three class first from JFK-SFO or JFK-LAX or v.v.

As you're on an international J ticket from SFO to LAX to LHR; make sure to ask for premium drink coupons, or chits, at the San Francisco lounge (if you're not proactively given any) as that will get you actually drinkable alcohol or, a bottle of water or naked smoothie if you choose. At the flagship LAX all food and drinks (including nicer alcohol and champagne) are complimentary.

Terminal 2 (AA terminal where lounge is) at SFO is the nicest terminal in SF in my opinion and has some good food options if you're looking for a quick meal too. There's also a yoga room. The Eagle flights to LAX often leave out of connected T1 (gates 45 A/B) but they're only a 5-7 min walk over from the lounge and T2, all airside.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Thanks guys for the answers and the advice to ask for the premium drink coupons at SFO!

What are you normally given to drink (alcohol) without those vouchers?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Mr. LAU
Thanks guys for the answers and the advice to ask for the premium drink coupons at SFO!

See these threads:
Guide to Admirals Club Food / Snack & Beverage
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:02 am

Pretty poor spirits (no-name well type vodka, whisky, etc) and miller lite or bud lite. There's also usually a house red and house white; I usually find the red to be OK. Basically if I'm flying domestic and in there on my membership I'll get a vodka soda or whisky diet coke since it masks the flavor somewhat.

All soft drinks are obviously free. Vouchers let you upgrade to makers, hendricks, ketel one type level; as well as craft beers and the nicer wines on the menu. Or get a split of prosecco, or a pelligrino or dasani water bottle to take with you.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lds89
Only exceptions are domestic business or three class first from JFK-SFO or JFK-LAX or v.v.
Last year, my J flight from JFK-SFO flight was cancelled and I was re-routed JFK-LAX-SFO, but I was denied access at SFO upon arrival as they said only people on the non-stops JFK-SFO flights are allowed access. I believe this is the correct policy as the AA website states "non-stop", but seems like AA is excluding a small percentage of people who deal with IRROPS on this route.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Hi there,

new to the AA forum...

Just booked a LHR-LAX and SFO-LAX-LHR in Business Class for later this year.

On the return the SFO-LAX leg will be in First Class operated by American Eagle.

Will I get access to the Admirals Club in SFO for this flight?

If not any recommendations to spend a few hours in that terminal?

Just found on the AA.com site that lounge access for domestic flights is only for the transcontinental flights.
Never heard that you are not getting lounge access when flying First / Business - at least with all the European
and Asian carriers I took in those classes before...

Will they allow me in with my onward LAX-LHR business class ticket or no chance?

If not, any recommendations to spend a few hours prior to the flight in this terminal?
Plenty of options! LHR-LAX in Business Class

At LHR you’ll be able to use the AA Admirals Club, BA Galleries Club, Cathay Pacific or Qantas Business Lounges.

SFO-LAX-LHR in Business Class

SFO Admirals Club (Shops, restaurants, Wine Bar nearby)

LAX Admirals Club or Flagship Lounge in Terminal 3 or one world Business Lounge in International TBIT Terminal (airside walkway)

LHR if you arrive before 14:00 you’ll have access to the AA Arrivals Lounge landside

We’ve merged your query into the best existing thread for these questions.

lds89 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Finsup72
Last year, my J flight from JFK-SFO flight was cancelled and I was re-routed JFK-LAX-SFO, but I was denied access at SFO upon arrival as they said only people on the non-stops JFK-SFO flights are allowed access. I believe this is the correct policy as the AA website states "non-stop", but seems like AA is excluding a small percentage of people who deal with IRROPS on this route.
The issue here would have been arrival access - technically only accessible on arrival directly off the J premium transcon flight, although some may have let you through. If you were continuing on, to, say Dallas or something - you would've been given access because you would've been on a qualifying itinerary (prem transcon in J for the JFK-LAX sector) and would have an onward OW flight.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:15 pm

Question First flight in economy - lounge access?

My wife and I are traveling SNA-SFO-DFW-SCL (Santiago, Chile). SNA-SFO is operated by Alaska and we are in Economy. SFO-DFW is in First and DFW-SCL is in Business. Will we have access to any lounges at SNA? What lounges are recommended at SFO and DFW (assuming we have access at that point based on what I've been reading).

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:29 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by elliott908
My wife and I are traveling SNA-SFO-DFW-SCL (Santiago, Chile). SNA-SFO is operated by Alaska and we are in Economy. SFO-DFW is in First and DFW-SCL is in Business. Will we have access to any lounges at SNA? What lounges are recommended at SFO and DFW (assuming we have access at that point based on what I've been reading).

Thanks!
Oneworld lounge access based on class of service only applies to onward flights that are marketed AND operated by oneworld airlines. As your SNA-SFO flight is not operated by a oneworld operated airline, you wont have access to any lounges in SNA.

At SFO and DFW, youll have access to the Admirals Club lounges. Just one Admirals Club at SFO, one in each terminal at DFW. (The D lounge is under construction and temporary premium lounge has received underwhelming reviews.)
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by JY1024
Oneworld lounge access based on class of service only applies to onward flights that are marketed AND operated by oneworld airlines. As your SNA-SFO flight is not operated by a oneworld operated airline, you wont have access to any lounges in SNA.

At SFO and DFW, youll have access to the Admirals Club lounges. Just one Admirals Club at SFO, one in each terminal at DFW. (The D lounge is under construction and temporary premium lounge has received underwhelming reviews.)
There is a caveat - the international leg has to be leaving the same day or before 6 a.m. the next day. If the OP is overnighting in DFW and the int'l flight leaves after 6 a.m. they will not have access in SFO.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
AA just changed our route to OMA-ORD-LAX-NAN-ALK award seats in J; last 2 legs flying on FJ.
We now have a 3 hour layover at ORD and an overnight at LAX, advice on where to spend this time? I don’t think we will have access to the ORD AC/Flagship because FJ is not a full Oneworld member yet but not sure. We do have 10 PP visits through the new AX Hilton card so hopefully will have some options.

Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by kmandrew
AA just changed our route to OMA-ORD-LAX-NAN-ALK award seats in J; last 2 legs flying on FJ.
We now have a 3 hour layover at ORD and an overnight at LAX, advice on where to spend this time? I don’t think we will have access to the ORD AC/Flagship because FJ is not a full Oneworld member yet but not sure. We do have 10 PP visits through the new AX Hilton card so hopefully will have some options.

Bula! (Fijian for “health!”, also the most common greeting.) Overnight offers lots of hotels near LAX, often at competitive prices. For more, see sleepinginairports.net listings for LAX here.

But as FJ isn’t oneworld (it is set to become the first oneworld Connect partner in the future, but it’s not yet that; no access to Admirals Club or Flagship Lounge, unfortunately. If you're flying in Fiji Airways business class, you should have access to the the TBIT oneworld Business Class lounge at LAX, as its doors are now open to travellers on Fiji Airways, but FJ contract stipulates only up to three hours prior to your FJ flight departure.

... FJ uses their new Fiji Airways Premier Lounge in Nadi, but iirc it’s landside.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, AAdvantage, Aeroplan
one-day pass - overnight connections

I am considering purchasing the one-day pass at check in flying ROC-ORD-PHL this Wednesday evening and then connecting from PHL-MIA-STX the following morning, all on the same award ticket itinerary. Wondering if the pass will still be valid for the final layover in MIA? Or will it time out after departing PHL? With a 5:00AM departure from PHL there won't really any time to make use of the pass there, but the 4-plus hours I have in MIA would be where I would want to use it the most.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.