Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

See here for the 2019 domestic meal thread.

Note: this thread is about meals served on domestic AA flights.

Link to Combined 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2018 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
That doesn't sound right?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yea these are usually meant for shorter flights that don't get a full meal service
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian

Honestly, if a flight attendant set that disgusting look of dog food o my tray I would probably hurl into the vomit bag quicker than a flight attendant can read through the faux free ticket citi card offer.
I've had this meal, too. It's VERY tasty and not at all disgusting. Last time I told the F/A it was the best meal I've had on a plane in probably 15 years, and that includes J meals on multiple carriers.
chrisny2 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I've had this meal, too. It's VERY tasty and not at all disgusting. Last time I told the F/A it was the best meal I've had on a plane in probably 15 years, and that includes J meals on multiple carriers.
I think the "disgusting" part of the meal by far would be the two globs green stuff on the right side of the hot dish....the rest is basically rice pilaf, fresh veggies, and fruit...all of which I would eat, but I'd want to trade out those little pita rounds for a couple of pretzel rolls.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Interesting that they consider 3+ hour flights "short"
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Agreed! I'm much more inclined to take AA up on a meal with a 3+ hour time slot than I am on my BOS-ORD flights. I get different markets, different margins, different demands, blah blah, but when the lite bites in the AC have been demolished within 30 seconds of them being set down, I'm more than likely peckish in flight after 2.5 hrs of flight than I am at 1.5 hrs of flight.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I think the "disgusting" part of the meal by far would be the two globs green stuff on the right side of the hot dish....the rest is basically rice pilaf, fresh veggies, and fruit...all of which I would eat, but I'd want to trade out those little pita rounds for a couple of pretzel rolls.
It's exactly those two piles of horse dung. It doesn't matter that everything else on that plate may look good, the sight of those two globs kills everything on that tray, period.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:25 pm

[QUOTE=PDXPremier;30223202]Interesting that they consider 3+ hour flights "short"

I'm almost certain I must have been given the wrong information since many flights less than three hours offer full meals.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by kar don
has anyone had experience with AVML out of BDL? Taking Bdl to lax, 6:55am... hoping for a sundae

I was on AA 1035 from BDL to LAX on August 31 and preordered the Hindu meal. They didn't even load it on to the flight. FA said something about since the plane got in the night before, it wasn't loaded. Or something along those lines. So there's a chance your preordered AVML may not be loaded. Let's just hope mine was a one off mistake.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
It's exactly those two piles of horse dung. It doesn't matter that everything else on that plate may look good, the sight of those two globs kills everything on that tray, period.
While I can fully appreciate that visually that plate is not appealing I've found that many great tasing and unique dining experiences I've had in other countries looked "gross" to someone that is accustom to western food. Keeping an open mind and trying new things, even those that look very different from what you are used or as in this case look rather unpleasant, often can lead to an enjoyable meal. I've not had this meal and I'm not trying to compare AAs catering to a great local food spot somewhere in Asia by any means but it seems that despite its appearance at least 1 person found it quite tasty.

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Best to judge food by its taste rather than its appearance IMO.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by xjaehyun
I was on AA 1035 from BDL to LAX on August 31 and preordered the Hindu meal. They didn't even load it on to the flight. FA said something about since the plane got in the night before, it wasn't loaded. Or something along those lines. So there's a chance your preordered AVML may not be loaded. Let's just hope mine was a one off mistake.

Ouch, I ordered Hindu meal...will update after flight
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
BOS-DFW
OLD Boeing 737-800
Breakfast

PDB of choice! Despite the early hour, my request for a screwdriver was accepted!

Once in the air, my pre-order of the "eggs" was acknowledged. It was actually the egg sandwich, which was pretty disgusting. The biscuit was room temperature. I could have done without the wilted grapes, too. The other fruit was okay. Service was non-existent after the meal service, although I did fall asleep!

Overall, not one of AA's best offerings.

Last edited by UAPremierGuy; Sep 20, 2018 at 5:40 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Finally got the much-lauded AVML on the 11:45 p.m. LAX-JFK (flagship F) and it was worth the order. Spicy yellow dal, cardamom scented rice, and spinach with some paneer cheese, all really good. My only "gripe" would be that there were no fewer than seventeen whole cardamom pods that I had to move around (and I ended up eating four of them)... but definitely still worth getting.

Ldnn1 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:20 am

[QUOTE=TheFlyGuy1992;30223593]

I'm almost certain I must have been given the wrong information since many flights less than three hours offer full meals.
Well if they are following UNITED's move, than these lite bights are the equivalent of UNITED's snack (which are offered on flight upto three hours for Breakfast and Lunch) and over at the UA forums, they would say that you have been snacked.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Finally got the much-lauded AVML on the 11:45 p.m. LAX-JFK (flagship F) and it was worth the order. Spicy yellow dal, cardamom scented rice, and spinach with some paneer cheese, all really good. My only "gripe" would be that there were no fewer than seventeen whole cardamom pods that I had to move around (and I ended up eating four of them)... but definitely still worth getting.

you wiped that sucker clean though! Nice work, looked good.
platbrownguy and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.