Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

See here for the 2019 domestic meal thread.

Note: this thread is about meals served on domestic AA flights.

Link to Combined 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2018 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Ag
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Doing a quick dummy booking for mid-March, I see the 8:10pm showing as "Refreshments." In AA lingo, that probably means only warmed nuts and a cookie, maybe a snack basket. If you're wanting to get a full meal, I'd suggest doing a free SDC to an earlier flight that does have meal service.
Originally Posted by lds89
Yes, it's a full dinner flight. Sometimes it leaves even later (8:20 or 8:30) and still serves dinner. You should be able to pre-order on AA's website.

Given the length you'll get an appetizer, and the ice cream sundae for dessert. Make sure your electronics are charged prior to boarding - this is a legacy US 321 aircraft with no IFE and no inseat power, and that's a fairly long flight - 5 to 6 hours.
Well well. The flight is the second week of March, and I do not have an option to preorder a meal on the AA website. We have no problem with purchasing food in the airport.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Yes, it's a full dinner flight. Sometimes it leaves even later (8:20 or 8:30) and still serves dinner. You should be able to pre-order on AA's website.

Given the length you'll get an appetizer, and the ice cream sundae for dessert. Make sure your electronics are charged prior to boarding - this is a legacy US 321 aircraft with no IFE and no inseat power, and that's a fairly long flight - 5 to 6 hours.
Not trying to nitpick (just setting proper expectations), but actually, dinner flights on CLT-LAX get ice cream for dessert, not the made-to-order sundae, because it's under 2200 miles. I looked at AA.com and CLT-LAX shows as "Refreshments" under Meal Services. I think you're thinking of CLT-SFO and PHL-SFO/LAX as having dinner past 8pm, as those are 2200+ miles. Just did a test booking, and a 8:20pm CLT-SFO shows as dinner. Because CLT-LAX is under 2200 miles, that's allegedly why it does not get dinner past the firm 8pm window.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
We are flying CLT-LAX departing at 8:10pm. Does this route count as an unofficial exception and provide dinner? We are prepared to eat in CLT or bring something onboard, but thought I'd ask here.
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Doing a quick dummy booking for mid-March, I see the 8:10pm showing as "Refreshments." In AA lingo, that probably means only warmed nuts and a cookie, maybe a snack basket. If you're wanting to get a full meal, I'd suggest doing a free SDC to an earlier flight that does have meal service.

Before the merger flights leaving east coast to west coast after 8pm till 845pm got a full meal not true today. After doing a dummy booking you can not order a meal, and it does show "refreshments" which would mean, warm nuts, snack (small plate) and a cookie. So OP get dinner before your flight.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tied
I've been surprised that the corn salad has been legitimately spicy. The poblanos have most of their spice tamped down by the cheese to the point where they're quite mild, but the side corn salad definitely has a kick.
In the spice world, Poblanos aren't known to be spicy, just like Anaheim Chilies they have a mild flavor to them. This is why when I make Chili Rellenos I just hatch chilies..
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
In the spice world, Poblanos aren't known to be spicy, just like Anaheim Chilies they have a mild flavor to them. This is why when I make Chili Rellenos I just hatch chilies..
Yes, I'd fully agree. They can be a little mild sometimes, but this inflight version is pretty tame. I've overheard others asking about their spice level though. Goes well with the corn salad for spice, though.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Before the merger flights leaving east coast to west coast after 8pm till 845pm got a full meal not true today. After doing a dummy booking you can not order a meal, and it does show "refreshments" which would mean, warm nuts, snack (small plate) and a cookie. So OP get dinner before your flight.
Apologies all. I was applying my experience with CLT-SFO (I take that route often on the 8pm+ flight) to CLT - LAX. CLT to SFO flights that leave after 8pm do get a meal (probably because they're 2200+ miles). The 10pm flight does not, it also gets the snack plate. Thanks for the correction everyone.

anc - there are some great food options in the CLT airport (and better what AA would serve anyways). For casual check out Brookwood Farms BBQ, for fast food Bojangles; and if you have time to sit down Beaudevin and Bad Daddy's Burgers are both excellent as well
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
It's a shame to hear that this has stopped. Even the later flights to PHX/LAS after 8pm would receive a full dinner service. So much for taking the "best of both" airlines.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
It's a shame to hear that this has stopped. Even the later flights to PHX/LAS after 8pm would receive a full dinner service. So much for taking the "best of both" airlines.
its literally the worst of both airlines combined
brc757rr likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
The 8:10pm CLT-LAX flight does not get a meal. It's a five-hour flight, too. That is total BS.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by brewdog11
The 8:10pm CLT-LAX flight does not get a meal. It's a five-hour flight, too. That is total BS.
Really? PMUS all 8pm bank trans cons got meals even if right after 8pm. Agreed that's total BS. What does it cost? $15?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Ag
anc - there are some great food options in the CLT airport (and better what AA would serve anyways). For casual check out Brookwood Farms BBQ, for fast food Bojangles; and if you have time to sit down Beaudevin and Bad Daddy's Burgers are both excellent as well
We only have 1H 11M to transfer, so it'll probably be takeaway. I'd love to have the smell of BBQ wafting through the cabin while everyone else is staring down their "snack." Any healthier/lighter options you would recommend?

Thanks for the help everyone. Never flown through CLT.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by morrisunc
Really? PMUS all 8pm bank trans cons got meals even if right after 8pm. Agreed that's total BS. What does it cost? $15?
Exactly - at minimal cost, they could offer a desirable service on a five-hour flight. Instead, they use a 10-minute technicality to be cheap.

I was in disbelief that only nuts and a cookie would be served in F the first time I took this flight. Now I just know to grab something to eat at CLT (if time permits, which is rare with AA's on-time record these days).

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
We only have 1H 11M to transfer, so it'll probably be takeaway. I'd love to have the smell of BBQ wafting through the cabin while everyone else is staring down their "snack." Any healthier/lighter options you would recommend?
I don't usually eat light/healthy (something I'm trying to work on in the new year), so my suggestions may be off.

There's an Auntie Anne's offering a variety of options for a quick snack. There's a Chic-Fil-A, which has salads (I think?). There's also a decent sit-down Mexican restaurant, Tequileria, which has some solid margaritas. There's a good BBQ place, Carolina Pit BBQ, in the main food court. I usually go for Mexican or BBQ.

Last edited by brewdog11; Feb 22, 2018 at 6:05 am
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
My three main options are
1) Brookwood Farms BBQ if I have time to take it to the Admirals Club and eat it.
2) If I'm a little shorter on time I'll stop at Hissho Sushi which is in the main food court area attached to the First In Flight bar.
3) Bojangles that's in the end of B if my connection is within the end of that concourse.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:12 pm

Dinner meals

• Choose later Choose later selected for or ORD to LAS
  • Poblano Peppers Poblano Peppers selected forfor ORD to LAS
    Stuffed with manchego, queso fresco, Monterey Jack and Cotija cheese with piquillo pepper sauce and cilantro rice
  • AVAILABLE BY PRE-ORDER ONLY - Fruit and Cheese Plate AVAILABLE BY PRE-ORDER ONLY - Fruit and Cheese Plate selected for for ORD to LAS
    fresh grapes and dried fruit with assorted cheeses
  • Chicken Meatballs Chicken Meatballs selected for or ORD to LAS
    marinara sauce, creamy polenta

These are my options... Any recommendations? Leaning Chicken Meatballs but these options don't seem that appealing.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:15 pm

Peppers aren’t bad, and the meatballs are good as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.