Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

See here for the 2019 domestic meal thread.

Note: this thread is about meals served on domestic AA flights.

Link to Combined 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2018 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
for my flights early next month. On outbound, i've selected the hindu meal since neither brekkie options sounds interesting, On return, I've selected the curry. The chicken option sounds interesting too. Also, wondering how special meals, especially Asian Veg/Muslim/Hindu meals are out of YYZ.

lax-yyz
  • Steel Cut Oatmeal Steel Cut Oatmeal
    with fruit toppings
  • Smoked Fontina Cheese Omelette Smoked Fontina Cheese Omelette
    with Peppadews, herbed potatoes and Italian parmesan chicken sausage
yyz-lax
  • Coconut Curry Coconut Curry
    vegetables
  • Grilled Chicken Grilled Chicken
    haricots verts, cherry tomatoes, yellow pepper, olives, Café de Paris butter
Flew lax yyz lax last weekend and here's what I got.

LAX yyz (hindu meal). It was oatmeal, pretty much the same as the oatmeal they were serving to other pax.

Yyz lax - coconut curry. Completely bland, nothing coconut curry about it . The cold garlic bread and warm pretzel bread was delish. The Sundae was great as always.

Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
Raita (yogurt-based) and paneer (cheese) are common food items in Indian vegetarian food, so if you really can't do dairy you're running a bit of a risk ordering AVMLs. My wife has had both paneer and raita as elements of her AVMLs on American. In our experience AVMLs for breakfast are risky on AA and DL. Lunch and dinner are usually safer bets you'll get something that is an Indian veg type meal.
I am very well aware that those are very normal items in Indian vegetarian food. However, AA very clearly advertises the AVML as having a limited use of dairy products which makes it perfect for me as I do not have a dairy allergy but am lactose intolerant which only requires me to limit my consumption of dairy not eliminate it entirely (a few pieces of paneer would be no problem at all). This option is a much safer option for me than most of the regular meals and much tastier than the non-lactose special meals that I have had in the past. I have had this selection many times for lunch and dinner and they clearly mean for it to be limited dairy as every time I've had it there has actually been no dairy at all (they went so far as to switch out the butter with a margarine/vegetable spread). If they ever change their description to not include "with limited use of dairy products" I will likely have to change what I order and might just shed a tear but for now I will simply make an alternative selection for breakfast.

My post was not meant as a complaint just a data point for those who may consider ordering this meal for breakfast. I came to this thread before ordering my first AVML breakfast and could find very few reports on the special meals for breakfast so though I was a bit nervous to order this breakfast I wanted to be able to provide a data point for others and find out for myself if it would be a good breakfast option. In my opinion, a plate of unseasonsed canned veggies and a cup of vanilla yogurt just don't qualify as a breakfast or a meal and they certainly don't meet AA's description: "Spicy vegetarian meals with limited use of dairy products." So now I know...
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Time or Miles?

Hope this is the an okay place to post my question. Is there a specific resource than can help clarify the buy on board availability for CLT/ORD & ORD/CLT?

the flight time hovers between 1:59 and 2:03 and about 30% of the time they have snacks for sale but there has been no consistancy and when questioned FAs have been adamant this flight is not supposed to be catered. In flight mag says 2 hours as well as AA.com
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Has anyone tried the hamburger in F? I hadn't seen this option before. This is on a lunch ORD-SEA flight.
  • Asian Chopped Salad Asian Chopped Salad
    shredded cabbage, red pepper and mango with a side of sweet chili grilled chicken
  • Hamburger Hamburger selected
    on a brioche bun with colby jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickled onions and chips
Just seeing if anyone has tried the hamburger since I first posted my question ...
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
What does the 8:30pm ORD-LGA get? Is it just nuts and a cookie or is it nuts + fruit plate/hummus? Thank you!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kjm12898
What does the 8:30pm ORD-LGA get? Is it just nuts and a cookie or is it nuts + fruit plate/hummus? Thank you!
Nuts and Cookies
Old Nov 11, 2018, 8:46 am

RJ meals

I know the RJ’s don’t have ovens so wondering type of meals in 3+ hrs flight?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nismo240ssx
Hope this is the an okay place to post my question. Is there a specific resource than can help clarify the buy on board availability for CLT/ORD & ORD/CLT?

the flight time hovers between 1:59 and 2:03 and about 30% of the time they have snacks for sale but there has been no consistancy and when questioned FAs have been adamant this flight is not supposed to be catered. In flight mag says 2 hours as well as AA.com
First it's not the flight that determines when a flight gets a meal or not, it's the distance
Second if you read the wiki you would see this.
Lastly on AA.Com, none of the CLT-ORD flights show a meal they all say Beverage service, I never looked at ORD-CLT.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by shaddie
I know the RJ’s don’t have ovens so wondering type of meals in 3+ hrs flight?
No ovens, usually mean salads and Sammy's.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
First it's not the flight that determines when a flight gets a meal or not, it's the distance
Second if you read the wiki you would see this.
Lastly on AA.Com, none of the CLT-ORD flights show a meal they all say Beverage service, I never looked at ORD-CLT.
Agree it is never a meal in F. My question is in Y for buy on board or EXP free snacks. Many times not even pringles / hummus box are available and I cannot find anywhere if they should or should not. Inflight mag says snacks available on flights over 2 hours and this one is blocked between 1.59 and 2.03 depending on time of day.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by nismo240ssx
Agree it is never a meal in F. My question is in Y for buy on board or EXP free snacks. Many times not even pringles / hummus box are available and I cannot find anywhere if they should or should not. Inflight mag says snacks available on flights over 2 hours and this one is blocked between 1.59 and 2.03 depending on time of day.
I generally haven't had any trouble buying the shelf-stable Y snacks on ORD/CLT when I've needed them, but sometimes they've had to dig for them like they just had the leftovers from the flight before (not like they were properly catered for that flight). So I can't say for sure that they're supposed to be catered for that flight, but in practice most of the options have been available when I've asked on that route.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Just seeing if anyone has tried the hamburger since I first posted my question ...
The new menus don't start until November 14th.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
The new menus don't start until November 14th.
Ah, ok, and I'm flying tomorrow. I ordered the Hindu meal as I can't imagine the hamburger is good. I'll see what it looks like if anyone around me orders it tomorrow.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
AA 2205 LAX-HNL 1950-2350 A-321

Full PDB

Sadly no mai tais on AA but scotch is always good even if it isn't tropical

Choice of a vegetable curry or a pork chop. Pork chop was pretty decent and a really good size. Seafood salad was fairly tasteless meanwhile

Choice of a fruit plate or a pre-built Hawaiian sundae which had macadamia nuts, fruit, hot fudge and whipped cream. As always the best part of hte meal.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
The photos I’m seeing of the new AA hamburger are not looking too appetizing, but I’ll reserve judgement until I try it in-flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.