Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

See here for the 2019 domestic meal thread.

Note: this thread is about meals served on domestic AA flights.

Link to Combined 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2018 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
@AANYC1981 can you point me in the direction of said photos?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
@AANYC1981 can you point me in the direction of said photos?
Saw this posted in an EXP facebook group. Obviously this is unwrapped from catering without the garnishes. No idea what it looks like plated

TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lds89
Saw this posted in an EXP facebook group. Obviously this is unwrapped from catering without the garnishes. No idea what it looks like plated

Looks worse than a $.99 McDonald’s hamburger or the United Bistro BoB burger.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by airb330

Looks worse than a $.99 McDonald’s hamburger or the United Bistro BoB burger.
the heated version and fully plated tray looks even more sad too.....no side salad as that space is used for the “dressing” on the burger.....just a sad plate for more bread.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
PHL-LAX
AA 728
A330-200
3:40p-6:45p
November 14, 2018
Special Diabetic Meal

Thanks to all those FT'ers up thread who recommended the diabetic special meal. I agree that this is a great option compared to regular AA meals.

Talk about overkill, the chicken starter was nearly a complete breast. It was a meh but then again, it didn't matter since I was full from the main. Unless one hasn't eaten in a couple of days. who the heck would want or could eat this when you have a tenderloin waiting for you?

Wow, very nice presentation. The broccoli was perfectly prepared, and the farro was delicious and nicely flavorful.

The tenderloin was excellent and prepared perfectly.

The diabetic dessert is a cheese and fruit plate. I went with the sundae and fessed up that I wasn't really diabetic but ordered the diabetic meal since it got great reviews.

Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
That meal looks fantastic, SFO777.

Plus, no quinoa!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

If anyone is interested in the new cheeseburger option...

But look closely again and see......

The thing was moving and jumping around the lettuce.
a second attempt didn’t fare very better...

Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by G-CIVC

If anyone is interested in the new cheeseburger option...

But look closely again and see......
I'm more impressed by the quality of the shot and the lighting.

You tried to eat it twice?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Yikes, the UA burger was/is definitely better (though still not great)...
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Oh, I showed it to the FA and she offered a replacement bowl of condiments. That’s the last picture. I didn’t touch it and just ate a bit of the bun and patty. Greasy, sloppy and not that flavorful...

Nothing compared to CX’s ex-HKG burger. 😂
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Glad to see AA has taken to including these new superfoods more readily.
jcatman likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by kjm12898
What does the 8:30pm ORD-LGA get? Is it just nuts and a cookie or is it nuts + fruit plate/hummus? Thank you!
I've got a similar departure time to BOS from ORD (in Dec), which I think still falls under the same market exception, and the choices (all three times) are:
  • Grilled Beef Filet Grilled Beef Filet selected for CHOPCHOP767 for ORD to BOS
    with cauliflower mash, broccolini and guajillo chili butter
  • Southwest Lasagna Southwest Lasagna selected for CHOPCHOP767 for ORD to BOS
    with poblano corn puree and New Mexico red chili sauce
  • AVAILABLE BY PRE-ORDER ONLY - Fruit and Cheese Plate AVAILABLE BY PRE-ORDER ONLY - Fruit and Cheese Plate selected for CHOPCHOP767 for ORD to BOS fresh grapes and dried fruit with assorted cheeses
Hope this helps.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Just had the new beef short rib with mac and cheese - surprisingly decent. Small portion of beef, but otherwise edible.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Continued success with the AVML, although SFO777's post above has got me considering DBML, perhaps for breakfast, when AVML risks getting oatmeal.

DFW-CMH
AA1492 (to Columbus? get it? literally no one on the plane other than me even chuckled when they announced it.)
14NOV2018, 10:50-2:10 (1h 47m in air)

Top-left starter was a beautiful red bell pepper filled with some tomato, cucumber, red onion, and asparagus, all very fresh. No insects.
Bottom-left salad was quite good, nice lettuce mix and more asparagus (I'm a fan).
Main was Indian-style rice with a potato-cauliflower dish on the left and a spinach-onion dish on the right. It was easily as good as the dish I had in A321 transcon F recently.

In addition to the plated raspberry-chocolate dessert, I was offered warm cookies. I also took a sourdough roll from the basket.

Considering that this flight had less than 2 hours in the air (it's 926 miles), the service was outstanding. Full PDB, drink served promptly with nuts, then refills; then meals, bread, and more refills; then dessert with yet another refill. Crew got AAplause certificates.
chrisny2, wrp96, AANYC1981 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
PHL-LAX
AA 728
A330-200
3:40p-6:45p
November 14, 2018
Special Diabetic Meal

what stands out the most for me is that for standard meals where AA provides a chicken breast (salads for example) they NEVER look anywhere as good as this does and that's where the chicken is the main component of the meal rather than the appetizer!

Again I have to point out that this salad looks far better than 100% of all side salads I've had on regular AA domestic meals!

The tenderloin was excellent and prepared perfectly.

I've only once had a steak on AA cooked like that but in addition to being not turned to shoe leather I also see that it looks decently seasoned vs the normal hockey puck of bland overcooked meat product.

I am for sure adding DBML to my rotation, perhaps AVML one way and DBML the return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.