Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

See here for the 2019 domestic meal thread.

Note: this thread is about meals served on domestic AA flights.

Link to Combined 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2018 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Here is the DBML

was a Chicken breast with salt and pepper, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Also included a salad and a quinoa salad with pickled onions and sundried tomatoes. Chicken wasn’t bad, still had moisture and was very hot at serving. Wasn’t bland but not very flavorful.

DBML out of PHX
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:25 am

Also had an AVML out of PHX. Was some type of spicy beet “saute” ill call it and sautéed swiss chard? Was very very salty and not very pleasing.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:29 am

Just a few weeks ago PHX delivered this AVML. This was a 2200+ mile flight. It had no rice and 3 types of curries all mixed together. Presentation was terrible but i will say it was VERY spicy and fantastic! I was impressed, probably the best AVML I have had with the exception of SQ. PHX AVML’s have been all over the map for me...
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Thanks for posting all of that, kar don.

Certainly shows you the benefits and hazards of ordering meals outside the norm.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
I'm going to be flying in F on AA4319, an E75 operated by Republic CVG-MIA 11:41am-2:17pm. When I look up the flight for a new booking it says "Meals: Lunch" but I'm not being given the option to select a meal despite being under 30 days out; for my return to PHL on mainline 6 days later I am able to select a meal.

Any idea why I'm not being given the option to select a meal?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by fordan
I'm going to be flying in F on AA4319, an E75 operated by Republic CVG-MIA 11:41am-2:17pm. When I look up the flight for a new booking it says "Meals: Lunch" but I'm not being given the option to select a meal despite being under 30 days out; for my return to PHL on mainline 6 days later I am able to select a meal.

Any idea why I'm not being given the option to select a meal?
There's no meal selection on regional jet flights.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:11 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
and it will be a cold option similar to what I posted for DCA-MSY upthread.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I asked for a biscoff and pretzels on yesterday's ord-dfw flight but was abruptly told "only 1"
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
I asked for a biscoff and pretzels on yesterday's ord-dfw flight but was abruptly told "only 1"
Seriously? Will ice be rationed next?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
There is no pre-selection but on board it's usually a choice between a salad or sandwich. Has anyone noticed a difference in F catering between the E175 and CRJ-900 Eagle flights?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier

There is no pre-selection but on board it's usually a choice between a salad or sandwich. Has anyone noticed a difference in F catering between the E175 and CRJ-900 Eagle flights?
I'm sure the galley size has something to do with it.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I'm sure the galley size has something to do with it.
yet Delta is able to serve hot meals on this fleet while AA can’t
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

Do the regional aircraft used by AA partners have ovens? I don't recall ever seeing one.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981

I think the Delta aircraft have ovens; the AA aircraft have the coat closet. Starboard side of the plane, in front of the F bulkhead.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I pre-ordered the BOB roast beef sandwich for a flight to ewr on Wednesday. Has anyone had it? I've had the chicken wrap before and it's very good but wanted to try something else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.