Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

See here for the 2019 domestic meal thread.

Note: this thread is about meals served on domestic AA flights.

Link to Combined 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2018 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old May 29, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Bruce Delaney
Just goes to show one man's pleasure is another man's pain. I'm surprised at the varying opinions.
Unfortunately the quality of the catering does vary depending on the kitchen making it. See the posts above about the variations in the asian vegetarians and hindu meals. Some airports those are great choices, others not so much.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD

Preordered hindu meal on AA 503 from CLT-SFO last night. Vegetables were very fresh; much better choice than the chicken with vegetables that has become so standard or the really heavy ravioli pasta. Both my seat mate and the person across the aisle asked what it was and how they could get one ("wow that meal looks so much better than mine"). Was very similar to the AVML I had out of Charlotte a few weeks ago, and this one was also vegetarian (but didn't have to be). Had the ice cream sundae in addition to the fruit dessert and was offered bread.

Special meals seem to still be a pretty good call IME
Old May 30, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
If you want something more substantial, I'd go with the biscuit. I've actually found it to be quite satisfying and surprisingly spicy.
I second this. I had this dish once out of SEA and loved it. It's probably the second-best egg breakfast I've had on the plane. The first was a FC pre-arrival meal on an AA MIA-EZE flight several years ago. Incidentally, that was also an egg/biscuit dish, so maybe I'm just partial to biscuit/egg combos.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I had the same choice and followed this advice and don't regret it. The egg/biscuit also includes a small fruit plate, the fruit plate entree is not very substantial at all, you get a slightly bigger fruit plate than what's a side with the egg dish plus a small cheap packet of yogurt and granola.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
I second this. I had this dish once out of SEA and loved it. It's probably the second-best egg breakfast I've had on the plane. The first was a FC pre-arrival meal on an AA MIA-EZE flight several years ago. Incidentally, that was also an egg/biscuit dish, so maybe I'm just partial to biscuit/egg combos.
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
I had the same choice and followed this advice and don't regret it. The egg/biscuit also includes a small fruit plate, the fruit plate entree is not very substantial at all, you get a slightly bigger fruit plate than what's a side with the egg dish plus a small cheap packet of yogurt and granola.
I'm glad to see these posts, I'm thinking I'll be happy with this now. My wife and I don't generally depend on breakfast as part of our normal routine so no biggie. Since we're due on the ground in Jamaica before 11AM, have expedited immigration and customs services and are staying in MoBay, we should be at the resort between 12 and 1 and able to partake in lunch if breakfast is a total bust. We tend to pregame the resort with the free booze in FC as well. A few Baily's and Coffees always goes well on a morning flight LOL!
Old May 30, 2018, 1:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
AA 835 RDU-CLT 0700-0803 A-319

Never seen this on an AA flight before. Boarded and found mini bottles of water and granola bites waiting at each seat. And we still got a full PDB. The flight attendant well earned the A&B cert I gave her

AA 1852 CLT-SJU 0955-1343 A-321

Full PDB

I'm glad that this was a lunch not breakfast flight. Choices were the stuffed poblano peppers which I think is a solid meal or chicken Nicoise salad. Nice to see the little shrimp appetizer too.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
AA 2496 SJU-PHL 1525-1934 737-800

No PDB

Options were supposed to be short ribs or pasta but we were told after takeoff the choices were vegetable curry or chicken with green beans. The second flight attendant in First Class was awful. She gave my companion's meal to another person and had to take it back, get a new entree, and give it to her. I asked for Glenlivet and she said "what's that?". Incidentally, it would have been nice if this flight had sundaes but whatever.
Old May 31, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
MODS: Move to NEWBIE if more appropriate

New lowly Gold here (yes got the offer) and am confused by what AA.com is telling me in regards to meals.

On my ORD-IAH leg tomorrow at 7:30am, it lists continental breakfast. On my DFW-GRR leg tomorrow at 3:43pm it lists Dinner. Shouldn't the ORD-IAH offer a hot entree and shouldn't the DFW-GRR offer less than dinner due to departure time? Both on E-175's.

Anyone know if I will get full breakfast and fruit plate or get what is actually listed (not concerned about the actual offerings)?

Side note: Bought and used 4 upgrade certs for 2 of 4 legs. Which was nice considering the whole ticket cost $100.01 (O fare I think - not basic e) before the extra $160 - also caught a comp UG on a short leg!
Old May 31, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
MODS: Move to NEWBIE if more appropriate

New lowly Gold here (yes got the offer) and am confused by what AA.com is telling me in regards to meals.

On my ORD-IAH leg tomorrow at 7:30am, it lists continental breakfast. On my DFW-GRR leg tomorrow at 3:43pm it lists Dinner. Shouldn't the ORD-IAH offer a hot entree and shouldn't the DFW-GRR offer less than dinner due to departure time? Both on E-175's.
(bolding mine)

I can answer part of the question:

No ovens on any of AA's regional jets - so no hot meals.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
The "dinner" will be cold and likely the choice between a sandwich and a salad with some protein on the side. bse is correct in that there are no ovens on the 175s, therefore in the morning you'll get a continental breakfast. Maybe a fruit plate or cereal? Haven't taken a breakfast flight on the 175 so I am not sure.
lds89 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Differences between Asian Vegetarian and Hindu? Looks like limited dairy in AV. For those that have had both, which is better? I have only had the AV, and it was pretty good. I love spicy food and the Hindu indicated it is spicy as well. TIA
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Chicago_Guy3344
Differences between Asian Vegetarian and Hindu? Looks like limited dairy in AV. For those that have had both, which is better? I have only had the AV, and it was pretty good. I love spicy food and the Hindu indicated it is spicy as well. TIA
I have had both, and can't recall a significant difference. My daughter who accompanied me to HKG really preferred the AVM. I suspect they are the same - what we didn't do was ensure that one of us got one, and the other the alternative on the same flight - maybe ill do that in a couple of weeks on our next PHL-LAX leg - it's an option on that for us so i can see for sure if they are the exact same.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Chicago_Guy3344
Agree they look the same. Kind of disappointing because many Hindus do eat meat so it'd be cool if the Hindu meal was a chicken curry or something similar. But I suspect AA knows they can satisfy both requests with one type of meal.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:32 pm

American Airlines grilled beef short ribs vs porcini mushroom tortellini

Hello everyone,

I recently booked a flight and need help choosing which meal. I didn't see any comments on these dishes (especially the tortellini one).

Porcini Mushroom Tortellini
versus
Grilled Beef Short Ribs

Which one is better??

Thanks for your help!
n2hd likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I really like the mushroom tortellini
n2hd likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.