Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

See here for the 2019 domestic meal thread.

Note: this thread is about meals served on domestic AA flights.

Link to Combined 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2018 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Any recent experiences with Hindu vegetarian options. I've got about a dozen ORD trips in the next month and I'd like to switch up the meal options a bit. Oh, and do my part to take advantage of all of Douggie's generous offerings and lower his bottom line when possible
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Any recent experiences with Hindu vegetarian options. I've got about a dozen ORD trips in the next month and I'd like to switch up the meal options a bit. Oh, and do my part to take advantage of all of Douggie's generous offerings and lower his bottom line when possible
Not sure how much the meals vary from various stations, but last week the Muslim meal (which does triple duty as Asian Veg and Hindu) on two different flights was pretty much the same as I've been getting on domestic routes for about the last year and quite nice in my opinion (on international routes, just don't... my attempt on a flight out of CDG was a disastrous meal)

Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by pmanchuk
Not sure how much the meals vary from various stations, but last week the Muslim meal (which does triple duty as Asian Veg and Hindu) on two different flights was pretty much the same as I've been getting on domestic routes for about the last year and quite nice in my opinion (on international routes, just don't... my attempt on a flight out of CDG was a disastrous meal)

whoa S&P shakers on domestic?! Lol
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981

whoa S&P shakers on domestic?! Lol
HAHA actually I can’t believe I completely missed that little detail! Now I’m trying to remember if there were shakers on the second flight but between things like no PDB, jacket sitting on my lap until the food was served, the napkin/silverware roll which was given being soaking wet that took ages to get replaced, drink refill not “available” until after they collected the trays, specialty meal bread missing from the tray, the normal bread service that wasn’t offered until they were about to collect the trays after watching them munching on the prized pretzel rolls in the galley (during which they commented to everyone how they were cold because no one loaded the heating tray), and who can forget the constant grade-school announcements telling people things such as “if you didn’t understand the first time, the seat belt sign is on which means don’t get up!” and my other favourite, the need to keep arms, legs and heads out of the aisle to make their job easier with the cart...let’s just say sachet vs shaker was the last thing on my mind. Ah they joys of flying during the holidays!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I'm sure different catering stations cater slightly different, however, your meal doesn't even come close to other diabetic meals and PDX has a kitchen but wondering if AA flights are double catered in and out of PDX.
aircraft came from PHX, possible it's catered from there, but I would think there are enough departures out of PDX to warrant their own catering.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Any guess what I'll get if I go with the diabetic meal for a 1:45 p.m. lunch flight from PHL to PHX next month (neither of the two non-cheese plate pre-order choices look decent, so I'm thinking of giving the diabetic meal a try -- I assume it will be a hot meal in any case)? Any insight would be most appreciated.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec. Plat.)
PHL-FLL right now:

-This was my first flight with the updated menu options. Hamburger or Asian chicken salad. The hamburger looked as absolutely disgusting as one would expect, and it was one of the more off-putting pieces of "meat" I've seen served on a plane. The Asian chicken salad was certainly passable, though it looked very generic in nature: bagged, chopped cabbage/carrot mix with a side of plain grilled chicken. unNaturally Fresh "balsamic" dressing on the side, which makes absolutely no sense. Not a lot of food on the salad option.
-Per FT, I opted for the DBML once again, and couldn't be more pleased. Meal envy from my seat mates all around. Not only was it a TON of food, but it was exactly what I was looking for, save for a few minor exceptions.
-There were two pieces of protein on the plate, which seems to be the DBML norm. The steak was cooked perfectly medium-rare, and was easy to cut, juicy, and flavorful. The broccoli on the side was a bit more than al dente, which is exactly how a prefer it.
-I love that you get a nice salad dressing with exactly two ingredients, as opposed to the unNaturally Fresh "balsamic" dressing option that seems to be the norm.
-Did I mention it was a ton of food?
-The only down sides? The pre-packaged bread is soft and a bit gross-looking. Not that the bread basket is much better, but I'll take a hot pretzel roll (which was offered in addition to my bounty, of course) any day of the week. There's no butter on the plate, so you need to ask for that.

On a side note:

-LUS A321, with a LAA lead. At one point she loudly proclaimed "I'll never complain about an American Airlines [LAA] airplane ever again!". The galley was obviously confusing to her in all aspects. No PDB, which is to be expected from a LAA crew member. No status acknowledgement. Once she got going, however, it was a good, professional service that flowed, for the most part, though she did disappear after the cookies were passed out and a drink refill required a call button push.

The most frustrating thing about the whole AA experience continues to be the absolute lack of consistency anywhere. Ground, operations, food, staff, whatever. It's just a mess and all over the place.

That being said: DBML for me all the way.

Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by kszary
The steak was cooked perfectly medium-rare, and was easy to cut, juicy, and flavorful
Notice those griddle marks are a different pattern from the chicken breast.

I have a hangup with these griddle marks, I need help.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
PHL-FLL right now:

-This was my first flight with the updated menu options. Hamburger or Asian chicken salad. The hamburger looked as absolutely disgusting as one would expect, and it was one of the more off-putting pieces of "meat" I've seen served on a plane. The Asian chicken salad was certainly passable, though it looked very generic in nature: bagged, chopped cabbage/carrot mix with a side of plain grilled chicken. unNaturally Fresh "balsamic" dressing on the side, which makes absolutely no sense. Not a lot of food on the salad option.
-Per FT, I opted for the DBML once again, and couldn't be more pleased. Meal envy from my seat mates all around. Not only was it a TON of food, but it was exactly what I was looking for, save for a few minor exceptions.
-There were two pieces of protein on the plate, which seems to be the DBML norm. The steak was cooked perfectly medium-rare, and was easy to cut, juicy, and flavorful. The broccoli on the side was a bit more than al dente, which is exactly how a prefer it.
-I love that you get a nice salad dressing with exactly two ingredients, as opposed to the unNaturally Fresh "balsamic" dressing option that seems to be the norm.
-The only down sides? The pre-packaged bread is soft and a bit gross-looking. Not that the bread basket is much better, but I'll take a hot pretzel roll (which was offered in addition to my bounty, of course) any day of the week. There's no butter on the plate, so you need to ask for that.

On a side note:

-LUS A321, with a LAA lead. At one point she loudly proclaimed "I'll never complain about an American Airlines [LAA] airplane ever again!". The galley was obviously confusing to her in all aspects. No PDB, which is to be expected from a LAA crew member. No status acknowledgement. Once she got going, however, it was a good, professional service that flowed, for the most part, though she did disappear after the cookies were passed out and a drink refill required a call button push.

The most frustrating thing about the whole AA experience continues to be the absolute lack of consistency anywhere. Ground, operations, food, staff, whatever. It's just a mess and all over the place.

Sweet! I'm doing PHL-TPA this weekend for lunch and so glad I pre-ordered DBML as I had those same sorry options you had to FLL.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PremiumSeat
Any guess what I'll get if I go with the diabetic meal for a 1:45 p.m. lunch flight from PHL to PHX next month (neither of the two non-cheese plate pre-order choices look decent, so I'm thinking of giving the diabetic meal a try -- I assume it will be a hot meal in any case)? Any insight would be most appreciated.
if you go back a page or two there are photos of the diabetic meals
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
ORD-PHX yesterday had the choice of the 'new' Asian salad or hamburger.

The Asian salad looks remarkably like the old one minus the 'asian' dressing since mine, like others have reported, came w/oil & vinegar.

Seatmate & several others around me had the hamburger-all cleaned their trays. Seat mate said it was messy, but pretty good otherwise. They were not offered a warmed roll from the breadbasket, though I suspect the FA would have given it if asked-he was a good one; don't think I saw him sit the entire flight.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Thumbs up

PHL-FLL right now:

On a side note:

Looks great and thanks for the feedback. I guess my decision has been made!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:45 am
Suspended

LGA-ORD this coming Monday for lunch and it's cheese enchiladas in a verde sauce or the mezze salad with chicken on the side. I'm giving the enchiladas a try.

I'm finding these new menu options to be pretty......MEH
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I'm finding these new menu options to be pretty......MEH
I had mezze trio DCA-ORD this week and MEH would properly describe it. Seat mate's enchilada was looking very good...
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec. Plat.)
FLL-PHL LUS A319 dinner service, DBML pre-ordered. LUS crew, so of course there was a full bar available for PDBs, which was done expertly and efficiently. Pre-order of DBML acknowledged before I even had time to sit down in my seat. Drinks and nuts fewer than 15 minutes after takeoff, with an absolutely professional service from top to bottom the entire flight.

About the other meals: This was the first time I saw the chili, which actually didn't look awful -- it came with a polenta cake <in> in the chili (like an island!) and a cup of cheddar cheese on the side. The other option was the chicken with mushrooms, which came with a twice-baked potato and cheese. Honestly I probably wouldn't order it just because the potato was so much of the meal. Both came with the standard salad and unNaturally Fresh dressing.

About the DBML: This was the first time I'd seen this particular DBML. Enhanced salad on the side, with two choices of either unNaturally Fresh or a simple balsamic dressing. Wrapped roll (which I skipped), though I was offered bread from the basket. Nice portion of fruit on the side with delicious orange slices. The main course was a very flavorful herbed chicken breast with carrots and what I <assume> was cauliflower mash on the side, though I'm not entirely sure. It was filling and delicious. Again, exactly what I wanted: protein and veggies.

Chocolate chip or snickerdoodle cookie for dessert. I really wish they would change this up. The flight deck's cheesecake looked so much more appetizing.

Sticking with the DBML train for now. MIA-BOS, BOS-DFW, DFW-MEX, MEX-CLT, and BOS-ORD reports coming in December.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.