Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

See here for the 2019 domestic meal thread.

Note: this thread is about meals served on domestic AA flights.

Link to Combined 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2018 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by SS_Flyer
Considering it’s so late. Does this flight still offer a medal since it’s 6 hours?
Yes, this flight offers full dinner including a sundae. This is an exception flight even though it's after 8pm. I take it all the time. The other nice thing about the MIA-SFO-MIA flight is you get the nicer Casper pillow and duvet they provision for international business class.

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Nope, sorry. Lots of flights leave PHL, CLT, etc., for the west coast after 8 p.m., no dinner.
This is not true. Flights over 2200 miles that aren't premium transcons that leave after 8 often feature dinner. For example - the 8:30 CLT to SFO and the 9:50 MIA to SFO both offer full dinner services with the sundae. CLT to LAX does not because it's just under 2200 miles.

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 5, 2018 at 11:35 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by lds89
Yes, this flight offers full dinner including a sundae. This is an exception flight even though it's after 8pm. I take it all the time. The other nice thing about the MIA-SFO-MIA flight is you get the nicer Casper pillow and duvet they provision for international business class.
This is not true. Flights over 2200 miles that aren't premium transcons that leave after 8 often feature dinner. For example - the 8:30 CLT to SFO and the 9:50 MIA to SFO both offer full dinner services with the sundae. CLT to LAX does not because it's just under 2200 miles.
Wow, that's great to know. I had no idea and I have been avoiding booking such flights precisely because I thought 6 hours with nuts, cookies, and booze was a terrible offering.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:57 pm

Wow, that's great to know. I had no idea and I have been avoiding booking such flights precisely because I thought 6 hours with nuts, cookies, and booze was a terrible offering.
Yep, easiest way to check is to book a one way dummy booking in F and click more details - AA will show if it's coded refreshments or dinner. If it shows dinner, it will actually be dinner. Can also check in EF
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Yep, easiest way to check is to book a one way dummy booking in F and click more details - AA will show if it's coded refreshments or dinner. If it shows dinner, it will actually be dinner. Can also check in EF

Oh, sure, I do that all that time. And it turns out that the flights I was thinking of were CLT-LAX which still don't have meals. CLT-LAX is just under 2200, the poster above was asking about MIA-SFO which is over... I knew there were differences at 2200, but I didn't realize the "cookies, nuts, and booze only after 8 p.m." rule went away at 2200. Now I know! Thanks for that.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:17 am

Oh, sure, I do that all that time. And it turns out that the flights I was thinking of were CLT-LAX which still don't have meals. CLT-LAX is just under 2200, the poster above was asking about MIA-SFO which is over... I knew there were differences at 2200, but I didn't realize the "cookies, nuts, and booze only after 8 p.m." rule went away at 2200. Now I know! Thanks for that.
of course! It's not logical at all that CLT-LAX doesn't get a meal when SFO does. The flight time difference is miniscule!

The MIA 9:50p departure makes me crack up sometimes b/c I've seen the FA in F comes on not realizing they have to do a full meal service, expecting to mail it in with snacks and a mostly sleeping F crowd. Then they tell the other FAs that they'll need help starting service and won't be able to assist the Y service because basically everyone takes them up on the full meal
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
CLT to PHX
  • Grilled Beef Short Rib
    • twice-baked potato, chimichurri sauce
  • Porcini Mushroom Tortelloni
    • cacio e pepe, red sauce

Anyone have the above meals?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by kar don
CLT to PHX
  • Grilled Beef Short Rib

Ive literally posted and recommended meal options on this choice.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

Ive literally posted and recommended meal options on this choice.
Oh I thought it was figuratively
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:43 pm

I'm on a early bird 6am flight from SFO to PDX to MEX. First/Business Class breakfast selections are the same on each flight:
  • Steel Cut Oatmeal brown sugar, various fruit garnishes
  • Montamoré Cheese Omelette with kale pesto, paprika potatoes and Italian chicken sausage
I'm definitely going to go with the cheese omelette for the first leg but am wondering how filling it might be. Any experience with the "fruit garnishes" that come with the oatmeal?

Anybody know if they will be offering any booze as the PFD? Nothing like a double Bloody Mary to start the day!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by delta9
I'm on a early bird 6am flight from SFO to PDX to MEX. First/Business Class breakfast selections are the same on each flight:
  • Steel Cut Oatmeal brown sugar, various fruit garnishes
  • Montamoré Cheese Omelette with kale pesto, paprika potatoes and Italian chicken sausage
I'm definitely going to go with the cheese omelette for the first leg but am wondering how filling it might be. Any experience with the "fruit garnishes" that come with the oatmeal?

Anybody know if they will be offering any booze as the PFD? Nothing like a double Bloody Mary to start the day!
You'll have access to that Double Bloody Mary. It may be as the PDB, or may not come until you are in the air. That, plus the omelette (likely served with a biscuit or cinnamon roll) will leave you satisfied.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by kar don
CLT to PHX
  • Grilled Beef Short Rib

I had the short rib recently, mine was actually tender and pink inside, almost came apart with just the fork. It was a little heavy as short rib is a greasier cut of beef, and I had it around 10PM after eating earlier in the lounge. I probably would have enjoyed it more a little earlier in the day and if I hadn't already eaten. The baked potato was boring, definitely save some butter from the bread to put on there and plan to add some pepper and it is edible. I saw the pasta option, it didn't look bad but it didn't me regret my choice.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:01 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
JFK-LAS Dinner and LAS-JFK Lunch

Outbound options were Porcini Mushroom Tortellini or Grilled Beef Short Rib. Was flying with a friend; I'm a Delta flier and he's an AA flier so he's used to these dishes. I went for the pasta, my friend got the short rib. Pasta was cooked well by airplane standards but the filling tasted odd to me, I didnt end up eating much of it. My friend liked the short rib; I had a bite and it was just okay, IMO.

Return options were Saffron Orzo Salad with shrimp or Enchiladas; I had the former and friend had the latter. Salad was fine but a little underwhelming as a main course; there wasn't actually a lot to it other than a bunch of flavorless orzo and a few pieces of squash. The shrimp were decent quality though.

AA was definitely a lot more food than you would get on DL domestic (outside of the handful of premium transcon routes, on domestic flights DL has no nut course, no separate appetizer, and a simpler dessert) but my impression from this flight and the return to be posted next was that the quality of the main dishes ​​​were not as good as what I'd expect on DL.

Porcini mushroom tortellini

Grilled short rib

Saffron Orzo Salad

Enchiladas

Butterscotch sundae
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I've had the tortellini and thought it was one of the better dishes I've had on AA in quite a while. Very filling and tasty.

I also ordered the Hindu meal last week when the regular options were enchiladas or the shrimp orzo salad. It was definitely the right call.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
AA 524 BWI-PHX 0700-0910 A-321

Full PDB (my brother is excited)

Choice of the omelet or steel cut oatmeal. The omelet was actually pretty good though the biscuit was cold and inedible

Plenty of drinks but just snack mix later, no snack basket.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Your brother has the longest thumb I’ve ever seen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.