Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

See here for the 2019 domestic meal thread.

Note: this thread is about meals served on domestic AA flights.

Link to Combined 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2018 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I saw that article--I've never seen that sandwich on the BOB menu for what it's worth.

I've had the chicken wrap (asian?) and it was very good.
Some blogger on Twitter was making it a big deal about this, he ordered it on a flight. I can see how people would be upset and rightly so, at least AA is taking it off the menu.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pmanchuk
It seems the poblano pepper is on permanent rotation for my domestic flights as of late - no surprise this past week, pre-order choices were the pepper or chicken meatballs and for whatever reason, I just can't bring myself to order "chicken balls", something rather unappetizing about the whole idea. So I decided to go the special meal route, which as others have eluded to, I'm thinking AA has opted for a one size fits (almost) all option being that the Muslim meal I received appears the same as the Asian veg (and I believe Hindu) others have gotten.

Truth be told, it was actually one of the better domestic meals I've had in quite some time - granted it was far from gourmet dining but in terms of flavour and quantity, I was very pleased with it and would say this will become my go-to option moving forward.

I will say, the FA seemed a little caught off guard with my pre-order and stumbled a bit trying to confirm it - to the point it felt like she assumed the pre-order details were incorrect... after a few seconds I just smiled and told her no worries, the order is correct... which I think she was quite relieved by as it appeared she couldn't bring herself to mention "Muslim meal". Don't get me wrong - she was quite pleasant but I can't quite understand the discomfort surrounding anything Muslim in the US... eh, suppose it's all par for the course with the political climate these days here.

I had ordered the Muslin meal out of Detriot since that city has a very large Muslim population and found the meal to be odd, it was more Indian (Hindu) then what I would think Muslim, but it was very good, and your observation about Peppers is correct, on said flight it was either Peppers or Bird Balls, now our next dinner flight which is in two weeks we have again Peppers and Bird Balls... I believe I have the Muslim meal or Hindu ordered for that flight (CLT-PHX)

Here is my Muslim Meal out of DTW.

Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
it was either Peppers or Bird Balls
HAHAHA oh lordy... what have we started with the description... although I'll admit, "bird balls" nearly had me falling off my chair!

On a more serious side note, the label for your meal seems to confirm (if I'm reading it correctly) what I think we've all sorted out... "AV/HN/MO", which I read as "this meal does triple duty for Asian Veg, Hindu or Muslim". Granted I find it a tad bit in poor form that the crew wouldn't remove the cling film before serving your meal, but then again, perhaps that's just me being picky.

Last edited by pmanchuk; Jul 29, 2018 at 6:34 pm
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

HAHAHA oh lordy... what have we started with the description... although I'll admit, "bird balls" nearly had me falling off my chair!

On a more serious side note, the label for your meal seems to confirm (if I'm reading it correctly) what I think we've all sorted out... "AV/HN/MO", which I read as "this meal does triple duty for Asian Veg, Hindu or Muslim". Granted I find it a tab bit in poor form that the crew wouldn't remove the cling film before serving your meal, but then again, perhaps that's just me being picky.
Glad I was able to make you laugh, yeah I was sort of lost on that too, however, my hubby got the peppers (reordered) and his label shows it as VG so for any of you going to select the Vegetarian meal you might get the Peppers...
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Granted I find it a tab bit in poor form that the crew wouldn't remove the cling film before serving your meal, but then again, perhaps that's just me being picky.
They may have confused with service protocol for KSML. That's how a kosher meals are supposed to be served, in a sealed plastic wrap; if it is removed before it is served to the passenger, observant Jews will refuse to eat it due to possible contamination by non-kosher utensils or ingredients while being handled in the galley.

From Star-K:
Kosher meals should never be accepted by the passenger if there is evidence of tampering. This refers to a broken double seal or puncture on the hot portion of the meal, or the removal of the plastic wrap encasement of the unheated section of the cold portion of the meal. Flight attendants are not always instructed on the proper protocol when serving a kosher meal. Although well meaning, they often prevent the passenger from enjoying his/her meal.
And Flying High with Kosher-Kosher Column:
Kosher meals are routinely reheated in non-Kosher ovens, which are found in the galleys on airplanes. For Kashrus purposes, these meals must be wrapped in two layers, and sealed with Kashrut tape, indicating that these items are under Kosher supervision.
The tray with the cold items which usually includes food items like juice, rolls, or salad, must also be wrapped in plastic and sealed with Kosher tape. In economy class, the cutlery on the tray is usually made of plastic and is disposable.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:20 am

Hi again,
I did ask this previously but no answers :-) Is the oatmeal served cold or warm on AA.
Flying MIA-SFO soon and the menu is oatmeal or Smoked Fontina Cheese Omelette.
Thinking of eating in the flagship lounge before departure, hence choosing the oatmeal onboard.

Is there a pre arrival snack before arriving into SFO during a brekfast flight?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by H.J.Simpson
Hi again,
I did ask this previously but no answers :-) Is the oatmeal served cold or warm on AA.
Flying MIA-SFO soon and the menu is oatmeal or Smoked Fontina Cheese Omelette.
Thinking of eating in the flagship lounge before departure, hence choosing the oatmeal onboard.

Is there a pre arrival snack before arriving into SFO during a brekfast flight?
Oatmeal is supposed to be served warmed. The muesli, which you'll find on Eagle, is served cold. I add the caveat because I've had the oatmeal served anywhere between cold and hockey puck hard baked.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold

Chicken meatballs with creamy pollenta, corn salsa and salad from AA 606 CLT-SMF on 7/16/18.

Stuffed poblano pepper with cilantro rice, shrimp appetizer, and salad on AA 2338 SMF-DFW on 7/21/2018.

Meatballs and pollenta were surprisingly decent. Pepper was ok - have had better plates of it on other flights.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by H.J.Simpson
Thinking of eating in the flagship lounge before departure, hence choosing the oatmeal onboard
I'm not sure your exact status and/or itinerary, but to clarify, you will not have access to the Flagship Lounge unless you are a ConciergeKey or connecting to/from a qualifying international flight in first/business. A first class domestic ticket will not give you access to the Flagship Lounge or Admirals Club.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:30 pm

Iberia gold (onewolrd Sapphire) so I should have access, even on a domestic segment??
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:05 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Noticed that too -- I wonder if we can preorder as EXP for our complimentary meals as well? If you pay onboard, maybe so...
Originally Posted by AAway

No, not at this time. Only BOB (actual purchases, not comp) and only test routes such as DFW-SEA-DFW
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Is this what you were served?

This was on a SAN-DFW last year, it needs more "gravy" as it was pretty dry, it had lots of flavor though.
That's the one, although yours looks about halfway between the two versions I got. The "bad" one had the eggs broken into little clumps scattered around the dish (whole thing looked like it had been shaken up vigorously) and no signs of even semi-viscous-liquid gravy, just caked residue. The "good" one looked like yours but seemed to have more gravy and more chorizo, and the gravy sufficiently covered the eggs to avoid caking.

It showed up again as an option for DCA-DFW tomorrow, so I pre-ordered it and will try to take a picture of it!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
That's the one, although yours looks about halfway between the two versions I got. The "bad" one had the eggs broken into little clumps scattered around the dish (whole thing looked like it had been shaken up vigorously) and no signs of even semi-viscous-liquid gravy, just caked residue. The "good" one looked like yours but seemed to have more gravy and more chorizo, and the gravy sufficiently covered the eggs to avoid caking.

It showed up again as an option for DCA-DFW tomorrow, so I pre-ordered it and will try to take a picture of it!
I indeed had the chorizo gravy biscuit yesterday on DCA-DFW and can report that it was the best tasting (though second best looking) of the three I've had. Enough gravy (and of an okay consistency) to go around. Still not on the favorites list, but it does the trick for breakfast if it's not dried up.

Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Noticed that too -- I wonder if we can preorder as EXP for our complimentary meals as well? If you pay onboard, maybe so...
Originally Posted by AAway
No, not at this time. Only BOB (actual purchases, not comp) and only test routes such as DFW-SEA-DFW

I saw this option on my DFW-DCA flight this morning. (I cleared the upgrade on yesterday's outbound at the 100-hour window but didn't clear today's flight until ~28 hours out.) So I decided to pre-order the breakfast sandwich, on the assumption that that way I would have one available for me in case they might otherwise run out. (My presumption was and still is that if an EXP pre-orders a BOB meal for Y, it will be provided without charge--why would they charge?)

But then I cleared the upgrade, so I pre-ordered kale pesto omelet.

So here's the funny part: I'm currently on the flight, and the flight attendant says, "Sir, it looks like you have pre-ordered a cold breakfast sandwich. And you have also pre-ordered the regular eggs. Which would you like?" Obviously I'm going with the hot meal. But I find it interesting that the upgrade & re-select doesn't erase the previous order.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I was under the impression that AA only provided special meals on international flights, not domestic. When did this change?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I was under the impression that AA only provided special meals on international flights, not domestic. When did this change?
They expanded the options in June 2017 for international / premium transcon / 2200 mile+ flights and then on Jan 10 2018 rolled several of these options out to domestic short or medium haul flights. I've enjoyed the AVML/Hindu meals on many domestic flights this year.
American Expands Special Meal Program to Domestic Flights | The Forward Cabin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.