Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

See here for the 2019 domestic meal thread.

Note: this thread is about meals served on domestic AA flights.

Link to Combined 2018 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2018 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Originally Posted by Jmichals39
Dinner meals
  • Choose later Choose later selected for or ORD to LAS
  • Poblano Peppers Poblano Peppers selected forfor ORD to LAS
    Stuffed with manchego, queso fresco, Monterey Jack and Cotija cheese with piquillo pepper sauce and cilantro rice
  • AVAILABLE BY PRE-ORDER ONLY - Fruit and Cheese Plate AVAILABLE BY PRE-ORDER ONLY - Fruit and Cheese Plate selected for for ORD to LAS
    fresh grapes and dried fruit with assorted cheeses
  • Chicken Meatballs Chicken Meatballs selected for or ORD to LAS
    marinara sauce, creamy polenta

These are my options... Any recommendations? Leaning Chicken Meatballs but these options don't seem that appealing.
Just flew this route last Friday and chose the meatballs w/ polenta. They were very good (as far as airplane food goes). It was served with a somewhat spicy corn salad and a regular salad. Given pre-scooped ice cream for desert. One of the better meals I've had on AA recently
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
My preordered BOB SEA-DFW today with its own catering tag
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National

AA Hindu Meal HNML IAD-LAX
This was a very tasty Hindu meal. The flight attendant noted that it smelled delicious, and it really was. The hot meal was well-spiced. Really enjoyed it.
I was still offered (and accepted) the normal roll and ice cream sundae.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National

AA Poblano Pepper PVR-ORD
This meal was ok, but not amazing. The shrimp appetizer and salad were pretty good, with Mexican flourishes. The poblano pepper had nice flavor with the tomato sauce, but was stuffed only with zucchini pieces and no cheese, so it was a bit boring and insubstantial.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
The amount of food being offered on AA puts Delta to shame.....plus Delta’s quality has seriously dropped so it’s a wash in that department as well.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:22 pm

Miami to LAX

I am very impressed with the catering on the Miami to LAX route.

Starter: Salmon
Main: Shrimp with a Thai sauce
Dessert: Icecream Sundae
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
PHL-TPA
LUS OLD A321
Dinner

PDB of choice! ^

Once in the air, HOT scented towels were offered, followed by drink of choice and room temperature nuts.

Dinner choices today were the Poblano Peppers or the Chicken Meatballs with Polenta (pictured below).

I thought the meal was very good. I'd absolutely get this again. Bread from the bread basket accompanied the meal, with choices between the cheese roll, the multi-grain roll, and sourdough.

Choice of snickerdoodle or chocolate chip cookie followed the meal.

Service from the flight attendant was excellent throughout the flight, and earned this FA an AApplause certificate.

Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
AA1847: CLT-AUS: 7.55pm
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2A

Cheese lasagna

AA2012: AUS-CLT: 5.40pm
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2F

Chicken meatballs

​​​​​​​For some reason I can't find the photos from my other flights this month...grr.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
AA293: JFK-LAX: 8.15pm
Dinner
A321T
Business Class

I ordered the Asian Vegetarian meal (didn't take pictures), but wanted to note that they loaded SO MUCH FOOD. The FA was confused and asked if I wanted it all. Essentially, there was an appetizer salad, fruit, an appetizer of AN ENTIRE vegetable wrap with its own little salad and sauce, and then the hot main with rice, chickpeas, samosas, and some aloo palak. And naan.

It was all quite delicious and, unlike most other meals on the plane, didn't leave me feeling completely disgusting afterward.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
JFK - LAX First, April 2018

Choices:

Pan seared crab cakes with jicama slaw and tomatillo poblano cream sauce
Chicken sliders with sriracha aioli and mixed pickled vegetables
Vegetarian cremini Bolognese with spaghetti squash, basil oil, shaved parmesan.

Thinking chicken sliders. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by stu1985

Choices:

See DMPHL's post just above yours.......

The "crab cakes" have more flour/bread crumbs inside than anything offered in the bread basket.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by stu1985

Choices:

ugh they STILL have that disgusting spaghetti squash dish? It was so awful and I had it back during the holidays of 2016.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Apparently AA has switched to unsalted butter pats, as was evidenced by my lunch tray today-wonder how much Discount Dougie thinks he is saving on this one?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by chicago747
I realize this is too late for WearyTravellerMSP as his flight was last weekend, but for anyone with the choice I thought the chicken meatballs were tasty. I'd order them again if it was one of the choices. It came with a spicy corn salad that was also good.
Thanks for the update on the chicken meatballs. Just saw this was my choice for trip end of March.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Fraser
AA1847: CLT-AUS: 7.55pm
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2A

Cheese lasagna

AA2012: AUS-CLT: 5.40pm
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2F

Chicken meatballs

For some reason I can't find the photos from my other flights this month...grr.
​​​​​​​Thanks for the photo. I'm trying to make up my mind between the chicken meatballs or the peppers. What odd choices for meals!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.