Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
OK I'm sure this is a question that's come up but couldn't find an answer so I'm asking here. Weighing up Admirals Club membership but does anyone know what lounge if any members get at SYD?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Omnivore
OK I'm sure this is a question that's come up but couldn't find an answer so I'm asking here. Weighing up Admirals Club membership but does anyone know what lounge if any members get at SYD?
SYD international or SYD domestic?
Class of travel? Business class will get you lounge access.
There are threads on this. Will try and find
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
SYD international or SYD domestic?
Class of travel? Business class will get you lounge access.
There are threads on this. Will try and find
International flying economy. Sorry, should have included that, I've found so many different things on my searches.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Omnivore
International flying economy. Sorry, should have included that, I've found so many different things on my searches.
AC members get access to QF J lounge at SYD when flying QF or AA. I am not sure what the guest policy is, but you can probably find it on the AA website.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12

AC members get access to QF J lounge at SYD when flying QF or AA. I am not sure what the guest policy is, but you can probably find it on the AA website.
That's what I'd hoped/thought but wanted to make sure.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:37 pm

Thanks, Diver. I checked the website and it says$1190 to buy the status. Too much!! Guess I will lose my status.
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
At the moment, both rows 12 and 16 show window+middle on either side as Preferred. Rows 10 and 11 have such pairs as Elite.

Row 15 is MCE and available all the way across but right side is Elite; other than that MCE is only available for a single seat here and there.

Rows 19-21 are available, with 19 only on the left side, and all the window and aisle are "for Elite".

Is that what you were looking for? I can try to upload a pic.
Thanks, much appreciated. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I'll be waiting then
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS Peon
AA's award chart shows flights up to 331 days out, which is 10/1 right now. What time can I expect 10/2 flights to appear in the chart? I expected to see it populated at midnight EST, but it doesn't look like they are there yet.

(I'm not booking anything tonight so it isn't super critical, I'm mostly just interested to see when it opens and if biz routinely opens at 331 days for SFO-NAN or LAX-NAN)
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
AA's award chart shows flights up to 331 days out, which is 10/1 right now. What time can I expect 10/2 flights to appear in the chart? I expected to see it populated at midnight EST, but it doesn't look like they are there yet.

(I'm not booking anything tonight so it isn't super critical, I'm mostly just interested to see when it opens and if biz routinely opens at 331 days for SFO-NAN or LAX-NAN)
IF AA release award seats, it usually will not be promptly at midnight Central time, according to a number of members. As to awards on FJ that would depend on FJ releasing awards to AA etc. and that will likely occur on Suva time.

When it is midnight Sunday, in DFW, it is 7 pm PM Monday, in Suva, Fiji. So AA won’t be able to show FJ awards until the 331 day window opens, but it may take some hours after that.
emag_eh7 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Luggage checked on separate tickets

I have mixed experience on this issue. Can someone point me to an official AA rule regarding policy for checking bags on 2 separate AA tickets?

EXP desk told me it was some sort of DOT rule, but she could not point me to an article that stated it.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
I have mixed experience on this issue. Can someone point me to an official AA rule regarding policy for checking bags on 2 separate AA tickets?

EXP desk told me it was some sort of DOT rule, but she could not point me to an article that stated it.
https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/documents/Archives/AgencyRef/Baggage-Through_Checked_Baggage_Policy-Separate_Tickets.pdf

https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/documents/Archives/AgencyRef/Baggage-Through_Checked_Baggage_Policy-Separate_Tickets.pdf

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1771412-separate-pnr-oneworld-aa-protection-through-baggage-issues-2016-a-33.html
There is a link in the WiKi.
Its not a DOT rule so Exp agent just made it up.
One world stopped checking bags thru sometime last year.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by allset2travel

Since mid 2016 AA will no longer check bags through on separate tickets.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2016-a.html
allset2travel likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:11 pm
Suspended

BA269 LHR-LAX Return to Heathrow

I just saw BA269 which was flying LHR - LAX with a friend on board has returned to Heathrow. I cannot find out much other than it is an Airbus A380 and declared a mechanical issue. Does JDiver our guru or anyone else have any info? Flight Ware says it landed but does not show time at Gate. Hope everyone is safe. ANy info gratefully received.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by rjlon
I just saw BA269 which was flying LHR - LAX with a friend on board has returned to Heathrow. I cannot find out much other than it is an Airbus A380 and declared a mechanical issue. Does JDiver our guru or anyone else have any info? Flight Ware says it landed but does not show time at Gate. Hope everyone is safe. ANy info gratefully received.
G-XLEE returning to LHR squawking 7700
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
If you upgrade using miles + copay could you get refunded if you paid the full price at a later date to upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.