Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by rjlon

There was a time when booking 331 days out gave you the best shot of premium cabin international non rev seats. The trend has been for AA to follow JL practice and keep seats in reserve until closer to departure. If you are not CK or EXP, your best bet is to either check every week on your chosen flughts or take out an expertflyer subscription and they will mail you when availability opens up.
Thanks. I looked at expertflyer and got an account, but it's taking me a while to decipher it all. I probably will do the expertflyer notification though, thanks for that idea. I was just curious because I had been randomly looking for about a month. There was plenty of AA availability, even that far out, to and from multiple cities and days. Then all of it disappeared overnight. I was wondering if this is an AA policy/strategy change, or if this is just a computer/inventory hiccup that others have seen before and the fares will open back up. Hoping for the latter, but I guess I'll just wait and see.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:17 am

Timing of Upgrade Availability

I'm new to FlyerTalk but have tried to read as much as possible on this and am still confused.

Is the upgrade list a rolling list...meaning someone on the wait list at the time the upgrade availability is released will have her mileage plus copay upgrade processed immediately? Or do ALL upgrades get processed at the last minute to see if anyone with more priority wants to get on the list? Or is this a moot point because upgrades availability isn't released until the last minute anyway?

Interested in the DFW to/from HNL route, if it matters.

Thanks.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
They are not totally wasted though since overtime, your lifetime miles will gradually get you to gold and then platinum for life. That will require patience but may be a consideration.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AnaGirl
I'm new to FlyerTalk but have tried to read as much as possible on this and am still confused.

Is the upgrade list a rolling list...meaning someone on the wait list at the time the upgrade availability is released will have her mileage plus copay upgrade processed immediately? Or do ALL upgrades get processed at the last minute to see if anyone with more priority wants to get on the list? Or is this a moot point because upgrades availability isn't released until the last minute anyway?

Interested in the DFW to/from HNL route, if it matters.

Thanks.
It's a rolling and dynamic list. If AA decides to release some upgrade inventory a month before the flight, say 5 seats, then whoever is the top 5 on the list at that time will clear. If AA then sells the remaining seats except for 2, and releases these on the day of departure for upgrades, then whoever is the top 2 then will clear.

While a lot of seats get held back for sale until the last minute, especially on popular business routes, it's certainly not the case for all flights that AA doesn't release some upgrade space in the months and weeks before a flight.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:07 am

Thanks so much. I understand now. Slim chance (no status), but at least possible if they release availability. Currently booked in PE, so I guess it isn't the end of the world if it never clears.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:13 am

Can you earn AA miles while flying on Air Tahiti Nui?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by msworldwanderer
Only if the flight is booked as the AA codeshare.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by msworldwanderer
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Only if the flight is booked as the AA codeshare.
...or if is booked as a Qantas flight (check the Qantas partner page on aa.com to see which fares earn and how much).
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA DL UA
MID - MIA - DEN on AA -- clear customs in MIA?

Newbie Q:

Travelling in January, AA4566 (Republic/Am. Eagle) MID - MIA, then AA MIA - DEN.

Presumably I'll clear customs in MIA, and will have to re-check my bag there, right?

Thks

RT
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rtom
Travelling in January, AA4566 (Republic/Am. Eagle) MID - MIA, then AA MIA - DEN.
Presumably I'll clear customs in MIA, and will have to re-check my bag there, right?
Have a look here:--> AA Guide: MIA / Miami International Airport, MCT / Connection, etc.
You will do immigration at MIA
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It's a rolling and dynamic list. If AA decides to release some upgrade inventory a month before the flight, say 5 seats, then whoever is the top 5 on the list at that time will clear. If AA then sells the remaining seats except for 2, and releases these on the day of departure for upgrades, then whoever is the top 2 then will clear.

While a lot of seats get held back for sale until the last minute, especially on popular business routes, it's certainly not the case for all flights that AA doesn't release some upgrade space in the months and weeks before a flight.
As other poster indicated, the release of non rebenue seats is controlled by revenue management. DFW-OGG/HNL particularly in high season and Premium Cabin is one of the most difficult. Whilst nit a key business route, it is very popular as it offers the best in flight experience to Hawaii and DFW and LAX are probsbly the biggest lications for CK and EXP flyers. If you are a single flyer it might hsppen quite late particularly if it us not peak like the Holidays or May - June. Good luck.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Found something very strange,

AA.com is showing plentiful business/first sAAver space domestically between XXX-YYY-ZZZ however AAgents are completely unable to find the space when I call in (to use these flights as a feeder to an international award). I already booked this exact domestic flight routing for an international award last week by holding them online and having an AAgent add the international segment afterwards, however now I need to change the domestic segment and they can't see the space at all.

When I pressed for a resource desk or someone more senior I was flatly denied and told "we're it". Is there any recourse or has anyone encountered something like this before?

Is it theoretically possible to drop the feeder, re-hold new domestic segments, and then attach it to the old international award?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
AA.com is showing plentiful business/first sAAver space domestically between XXX-YYY-ZZZ however AAgents are completely unable to find the space when I call in to use these flights as a feeder to an international award. (I already booked this exact domestic flight routing for an international award last week by holding them online and having an AAgent add the international segment afterwards, however now I need to change the domestic segment)

When I pressed for a resource desk or someone more senior I was flatly denied and told "we're it". Is there any recourse or has anyone encountered something like this before?
------> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-segments.html
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:51 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Thanks I suspect it's to do with married segment logic but in this case AAgents are unable to see any space at all, even if it shows up online.

And I think I edited my post while you were replying with clarification that my problem is trying to swap in one married segment for another married segment, both of which AAgents couldn't see in their system but I was able to snag online.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Thanks I suspect it's to do with married segment logic but in this case AAgents are unable to see any space at all, even if it shows up online.

And I think I edited my post while you were replying with clarification that my problem is trying to swap in one married segment for another married segment, both of which AAgents couldn't see in their system but I was able to snag online.
I’m not a 100% sure, but maybe your problem is that you are trying to go XXX-D, where D is your final destination. Although XXX-YYY-ZZZ is available, XXX-YYY-ZZZ-D may not be. I suspect the agent might be able to see XXX-YYY-ZZZ if booking a new award, so it might be worth asking the agent to search for that on a blank record and then seeing if they can substitute that for whatever you have now in your booked reservation.

I believe someone else had a similar issue recently. See posts 1433-37 and 1441 in the following thread:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.