Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Now, I have a question and I post here because it's supposed to be a safe space. I would very much appreciate a reply based on experience or knowledge.

So, I tried out Wells Fargo and dislike the bank overall but I do have the Cash Wise Visa. Turns out my Go Far rewards balance has ALMOST enough cash back to use toward an airline ticket for a needed trip. Since I get more VALUE in the air ticket than the cash back redemption, I am considering booking with a non-AA website (through WF third party) for the first time. I do not have AA elite status and will need to check a bag on my trip.

My questions:

If I use my rewards cash toward the ticket, may I then PAY the remaining amount due on my AA credit card that allows a free checked bag to receive that benefit?

I have a couple of AA upgrades from a marketing campaign that encouraged me to go ELITE (could not achieve that) last year. If the split pay idea I question above, has a thumbs up benefit, will I be able to ask for an upgrade according to AA policy as if I booked with AA directly?

Need to buy the ticket in advance fairly quickly, so I am grateful for a hasty and effective reply. TIA and have a great day!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by jan_believes
Now, I have a question and I post here because it's supposed to be a safe space. I would very much appreciate a reply based on experience or knowledge.

So, I tried out Wells Fargo and dislike the bank overall but I do have the Cash Wise Visa. Turns out my Go Far rewards balance has ALMOST enough cash back to use toward an airline ticket for a needed trip. Since I get more VALUE in the air ticket than the cash back redemption, I am considering booking with a non-AA website (through WF third party) for the first time. I do not have AA elite status and will need to check a bag on my trip.

My questions:

If I use my rewards cash toward the ticket, may I then PAY the remaining amount due on my AA credit card that allows a free checked bag to receive that benefit?

I have a couple of AA upgrades from a marketing campaign that encouraged me to go ELITE (could not achieve that) last year. If the split pay idea I question above, has a thumbs up benefit, will I be able to ask for an upgrade according to AA policy as if I booked with AA directly?

Need to buy the ticket in advance fairly quickly, so I am grateful for a hasty and effective reply. TIA and have a great day!
The AA checked bag from your credit card is tied to your FFN, as such it should apply on all AA tickets with you number attached, regardless of how it is paid for. No need to use AA credit card to get the bag benefit.

As for potentially upgrading after the fact, I don't know how the third party booking will affect trying to upgrade. You might have to pay a $50 fee for AA to take over the WF agency booking. The type of upgrade in question might also require you to have status in order to use it, without more details its hard to be sure it would work.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You're on the right track, but you need to search segment by segment using the BA tool. Focus on the long-haul segment first. So instead of searching the whole route CHS-SIN, search JFK-HKG, ORD-HKG, LAX-HKG, etc. Familiarize yourself with CX and JL gateways in the US and search each one to HKG or NRT/HND. Once you find availability on the long segment, say ORD-HKG, then search the HKG-SIN flight, and then CHS-ORD. If you can piece everything together, then give AA a call.

It's definitely a puzzle, however if you're willing to put in the time to search like this your results will be infinitely better than just calling a random AA agent and telling them you need to go from Charleston to Singapore on such and such date.

OK, I think I see where i am getting hung up. I am much more familar with UA award stuff - in that scenario you find flights for UA and partners, but you have to find saver fares for all of them and then you get it for 80-90K one way. If not the full price is 140K

So, with AA and OW no matter what it is 70K - no matter what? Assuming there is a seat available?

Now, if I find an itinerary that is 100% AA and has sAAver fares available I can get it for say 50K or 60K but no matter what it will never be more than 70K (Assuming no stopovers or other crazy stuff - just direct flights)

It appears i may be trying to look for something that doesn't really exist...

EDIT: OK, nvmd, i am even more confused - just tried a CHS-LHR ticket and sAAver fares came up with CLT-LHR on BA and the full price business ticket was 110K (I thought that was for FC) Hmmmm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by MathMusic
The AA checked bag from your credit card is tied to your FFN, as such it should apply on all AA tickets with you number attached, regardless of how it is paid for. No need to use AA credit card to get the bag benefit.

As for potentially upgrading after the fact, I don't know how the third party booking will affect trying to upgrade. You might have to pay a $50 fee for AA to take over the WF agency booking. The type of upgrade in question might also require you to have status in order to use it, without more details its hard to be sure it would work.
---------------------------
Thanks for your reply. Regarding the upgrade, perhaps I should call AA to clarify if I can use while a non-elite.

It still shows up in my AAdvantage account on the website. But, it's a conclusion to say the least, that I can try to use it just because it's there. Would be nice, though!

As a former airline employee with booking and ticketing experience, I am confused about a $50 take over fee. My experience is dated so I wouldn't debate anyone without more updated information. However, I think the links between third party and AA Sabre bookings are efficient with the automation involved. Guess I will need two answers from reservations. Thanks again.

Last edited by jan_believes; Sep 10, 2018 at 11:57 am
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by tatterdema

Lol, just trying to cut down on the number of cards I have that I am paying a yearly fee on. I think I have it narrowed down to just are the 10k mile anniversary miles alone a decent reason to keep it.
I think so. In fact, I have the AA card that offers 10K annually, and keep it just for that benefit. I've got more AA miles than I'll likely redeem anytime soon, so I don't value additional miles that highly, but I figure surely they're still worth a penny each.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
OK, I think I see where i am getting hung up. I am much more familar with UA award stuff - in that scenario you find flights for UA and partners, but you have to find saver fares for all of them and then you get it for 80-90K one way. If not the full price is 140K

So, with AA and OW no matter what it is 70K - no matter what? Assuming there is a seat available?

Now, if I find an itinerary that is 100% AA and has sAAver fares available I can get it for say 50K or 60K but no matter what it will never be more than 70K (Assuming no stopovers or other crazy stuff - just direct flights)

It appears i may be trying to look for something that doesn't really exist...

EDIT: OK, nvmd, i am even more confused - just tried a CHS-LHR ticket and sAAver fares came up with CLT-LHR on BA and the full price business ticket was 110K (I thought that was for FC) Hmmmm
You're getting hung up on the wrong thing, all awards using partners are technically sAAver awards. A US to SE Asia award (Asia 2 region) will cost 70k miles each way in business. This is the same whether you fly AA, CX, JL, or a combination of the 3. If you are able to piece together the flights using the instructions I've mentioned above, it will be 70k miles. Not sure what you're looking at with the ticket to LHR.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by jan_believes
---------------------------
Thanks for your reply. Regarding the upgrade, perhaps I should call AA to clarify if I can use while a non-elite.

It still shows up in my AAdvantage account on the website. But, it's a conclusion to say the least, that I can try to use it just because it's there. Would be nice, though!

As a former airline employee with booking and ticketing experience, I am confused about a $50 take over fee. My experience is dated so I wouldn't debate anyone without more updated information. However, I think the links between third party and AA Sabre bookings are efficient with the automation involved. Guess I will need two answers from reservations. Thanks again.
I know that if I book through my corporate travel agent and call AA directly to make a ticket change I get hit with the $50 fee that AA charges because it can. And if the upgrades in question are listed as 500 mile upgrades in your account on AA.com, then you cannot use them unless you have status with AA.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:42 pm

I'm usually a Star Alliance flyer...

I got an AA award ticket for JAL but unfortunately the first segment connection did not have award availability. I had to purchase the first segment.

These are now on two separate tickets with separate PNRs. I made sure there is more than enough time for the connection.

I know that AA does not transfer bags to OW partners since 2016 and I have more than enough time for the connection (well above MCT) so I'm resigned to doing that - but what exactly is the rationale for this policy?

It does not seem very customer friendly.

Has anyone had success asking at check-in to through check the baggage to the destination? Does Business class help/matter at all?

What sucks is I'm usually carry on only but for this trip I must have checked baggage.

Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by MathMusic
I know that if I book through my corporate travel agent and call AA directly to make a ticket change I get hit with the $50 fee that AA charges because it can. And if the upgrades in question are listed as 500 mile upgrades in your account on AA.com, then you cannot use them unless you have status with AA.
I concur with a $50 charge for a ticket change.

Called AA; too busy to talk. Was told to call back later. Granted that the upgrades shown in my account cannot be accessed even through automation because I don't have the status, I still would book the trip.

Thank you!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:35 am

System wide upgrades

so I have 4 system wide upgrades that are going to expire end of January. I really don’t know what to do with them. Seems like a waste to use on a domestic flight, and being EXP I usually get comp. upgraded on most of my domestic flights. Trying to find a long haul international flight that won’t break the bank seems impossible. Suggestions on a good flight to book where I could really get the most value? (DTW home) Can I gift these, redeem for miles, or cash em out? Or just let em expire?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by davidkierz
so I have 4 system wide upgrades that are going to expire end of January. I really don’t know what to do with them. Seems like a waste to use on a domestic flight, and being EXP I usually get comp. upgraded on most of my domestic flights. Trying to find a long haul international flight that won’t break the bank seems impossible. Suggestions on a good flight to book where I could really get the most value? (DTW home) Can I gift these, redeem for miles, or cash em out? Or just let em expire?
You can gift SWUs to anyone but you can't redeem for miles or cash out, or anything like that.

PEK often has dirt cheap fares, even with little to no advance notice, and you can often find C space. And midweek flights to and from Europe are pretty easy to clear as well.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
No one ended up replying to my question but I wanted to update in case anyone finds themselves in the same predicament: AA didn't have a special deal running at the start of September. I put my award seats on hold hoping for a deal. I think it was September 10th that they released their special offer which was 35% off, a substantial saving (I'd rather bonus miles but I'll take what I can get!). Moral of the story is if you have a time-sensitive/very popular award seat to book like I did... don't expect there to always be a special deal running for miles!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
75$ plus 15,000 mile upgrade JFK -LAX

Is there any way to check C - space on JFK - LAX segments so that you can buy your tickets and then upgrade it immediately using 75$ and 15,000 miles?

And when is C -space released? Is it better to look way far out -- like 9 months out?

Or can someone direct me to a thread that would illuminate this issue? thanks in a advance -- I am just coming back to these boards and everything has changed.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:39 pm

I'm trying to call AAdvantage to book a number of award flights that have to be booked via phone, but the system keeps hanging up on me, saying they are busy. I assume this is because of Florence. Is there another number to call? I don't want to miss out on the award seats.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:31 pm

Concurrent CC mile bonuses

Am I understanding this correctly? Am I able to grab 50k miles from the aviator red, plus 60k from the citiAA card, plus 70k from the citiAA Business, without being disqualified... for a total of 180000 Miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.