Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MathMusic
If I call AA to modify a ticket booked through my corporate travel agent, will I be charged the phone booking fee in addition to the $50 fee for AA to take over the ticket?
I think youll be charged the $50 fee and any change fees that might be due because of the changes.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by etiene
Just checking in for AMS-DFW - been assigned Group 2 as reflects my three week old OWE status [though BP still lists the OWS I was at booking...].

My girlfriend [same PNR] has only been given Group 5 though. Is this correct? And/or is she allowed to board with me in Group 2? [This is how it's currently done on BA - BP doesn't show it but you can stick together].

Cheers!
That is not correct, but I have flown with friends on separate PNRs (same flight) and told the agent they were with me and they let them board in my group despite having a lower boarding group.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by JDiver
I think youll be charged the $50 fee and any change fees that might be due because of the changes.
As a follow up, it ended up just being the $50 fee and then the fare difference. This was a flexible fare, so no change fee was due.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
deleted

Last edited by MathMusic; Aug 17, 2018 at 12:04 pm Reason: Double Post
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:12 am

Is this "fully flexible" ticket fully refundable even after checkin and past security

Would following international ticket fully refundable (no penalty) even after I get the boarding pass and pass check point, but do not boarding?
If so, do I have to return the boarding pass? I assume I also need to cancel the ticket before the flight starts?

Fare Basis Code Y1E00YN5 (Displayed Below)Seasonality
SEASONALITY - NO SEASONAL TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS APPLY.
Day Time Application
DAY/TIME - NO DAY/TIME TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS APPLY.
Advance Reservation Ticketing Restrictions
ADVANCE RESERVATIONS/TICKETING - RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR EACH SECTOR. WAITLIST AND STANDBY NOT PERMITTED. TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 3 DAYS AFTER RESERVATIONS ARE MADE. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. RESERVATIONS BOOKED 3 DAYS OR LESS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE MUST BE TICKETED WITHIN 24 HOURS. RESERVATIONS BOOKED 24 HOURS OR LESS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE MUST BE TICKETED WITHIN 3 HOURS.
Surcharges
SURCHARGES - THE PROVISIONS BELOW APPLY ONLY AS FOLLOWS - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF AA OR US. OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF AA OR AY. OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF AA OR BA. OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF AA OR IB. OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF AA OR JL. OR - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF AA OR QF. THERE IS NO MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE PER FARE COMPONENT PER ANY PASSENGER FOR DEPARTURE OF TRANSPACIFIC SECTORS. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. YR FEE MAY APPLY OTHERWISE - ORIGINATING UNITED STATES - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 106.00 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE PER ANY PASSENGER FOR DEPARTURE OF TRANSPACIFIC SECTORS. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS SURCHARGE APPLIES IN ADDITION TO ALL OTHER CHARGES AND IS NOT SUBJECT TO ANY DISCOUNT. THIS SURCHARGE WILL NOT APPLY TO PASSENGERS TRAVELLING ON FREE TICKETS. AND - ORIGINATING SHA - MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF CNY 1226 PER FARE COMPONENT WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE PER ANY PASSENGER FOR DEPARTURE OF TRANSPACIFIC SECTORS. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. THIS SURCHARGE APPLIES IN ADDITION TO ALL OTHER CHARGES AND IS NOT SUBJECT TO ANY DISCOUNT. THIS SURCHARGE WILL NOT APPLY TO PASSENGERS TRAVELLING ON FREE TICKETS.
Maximum Stay
MAXIMUM STAY - NO MAXIMUM STAY REQUIREMENTS APPLY.
Eligibility
ELIGIBILITY - NO ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS APPLY.
Sales Restrictions
SALES RESTRICTIONS - TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED BY ELECTRONIC TICKETING. EXTENSION OF TICKET VALIDITY IS PERMITTED. TICKETS MAY NOT BE SOLD IN VENEZUELA. TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN AREA 1/AREA 2/AREA 3.
Refunds Reissues
VOLUNTARY CHANGES - ENTER RD*31 OR RD'LINE NUM'*31 FOR VOLUNTARY CHGS.
Flight Applications
FLIGHT APPLICATION - IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL FROM/TO/VIA HNL THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY JL. AND IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN AREA 3 THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY JQ ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY CX ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY GK ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY JL ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY KA ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY MH ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY QF ANY CA FLIGHT OPERATED BY CA ANY CX FLIGHT OPERATED BY CX ANY CZ FLIGHT OPERATED BY CZ ANY MF FLIGHT OPERATED BY MF ANY GK FLIGHT OPERATED BY GK ANY JL FLIGHT OPERATED BY JL ANY JQ FLIGHT OPERATED BY JQ ANY KA FLIGHT OPERATED BY KA ANY KE FLIGHT OPERATED BY KE ANY MH FLIGHT OPERATED BY MH ANY NU FLIGHT OPERATED BY NU ANY PR FLIGHT OPERATED BY PR ANY QF FLIGHT OPERATED BY QF ANY VN FLIGHT OPERATED BY VN ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY CZ ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY MF. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA. AND IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN NORTH AMERICA THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA. AND IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN AREA 1 THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY 4M ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY JJ ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY LA ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY XL ANY 4M FLIGHT ANY JJ FLIGHT ANY LA FLIGHT ANY XL FLIGHT. IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL FROM/TO/VIA HNL THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST NOT BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY JL. AND IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN AREA 3 THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY JQ ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY CX ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY GK ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY JL ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY KA ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY MH ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY QF ANY CX FLIGHT OPERATED BY CX ANY GK FLIGHT OPERATED BY GK ANY JL FLIGHT OPERATED BY JL ANY JQ FLIGHT OPERATED BY JQ ANY KA FLIGHT OPERATED BY KA ANY MH FLIGHT OPERATED BY MH ANY NU FLIGHT OPERATED BY NU ANY QF FLIGHT OPERATED BY QF. AND THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY JL. AND IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN NORTH AMERICA THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA. AND IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN AREA 1 THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY 4M ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY JJ ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY LA ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY XL ANY 4M FLIGHT ANY JJ FLIGHT ANY LA FLIGHT ANY XL FLIGHT.
Minimum Stay
MINIMUM STAY - NO MINIMUM STAY REQUIREMENTS APPLY.
Embargo Dates
BLACKOUT DATES - NO BLACKOUT DATES APPLY.
Penalties
PENALTIES - CHANGES/CANCELLATIONS ANY TIME CHANGES/CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. FOR TRAVEL AGENCY BOOKINGS MADE IN MEXICO / THE CARIBBEAN / CENTRAL AND SOUTH AMERICA - AA WILL ASSESS A USD 25.00 FEE ON ANY UNTICKETED RESERVATION NOT CANCELED BEFORE DEPARTURE. ------------------------------------------------ REISSUES / EXCHANGES NOT ALLOWED TO EOU/ERU FARE TYPES.
Rule Application and Other Conditions
RULE APPLICATION AND OTHER CONDITIONS - NOTE - THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. FARES BETWEEN AREA 1 AND AREA 3 APPLICATION AREA THESE FARES APPLY BETWEEN AREA 1 AND AREA 3. CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR FIRST/BUSINESS/ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. TYPES OF TRANSPORTATION FARES GOVERNED BY THIS RULE CAN BE USED TO CREATE ONE-WAY/ROUND-TRIP/CIRCLE-TRIP/OPEN-JAW JOURNEYS. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS THE CARRIER SHALL LIMIT THE NUMBER OF PASSENGERS CARRIED ON ANY ONE FLIGHT AT FARES GOVERNED BY THIS RULE AND SUCH FARES WILL NOT NECESSARILY BE AVAILABLE ON ALL FLIGHTS. THE NUMBER OF SEATS, WHICH THE CARRIER SHALL MAKE AVAILABLE ON A GIVEN FLIGHT, WILL BE DETERMINED BY THE CARRIER$S BEST JUDGEMENT. OTHER CONDITIONS FOR THE PORTION OF TRAVEL WITHIN/BETWEEN THE CONTINENTAL U.S./CANADA/HAWAII/PUERTO RICO/VIRGIN ISLANDS ON AA INCLUDED IN THE THROUGH PUBLISHED BUSINESS/EXECUTIVE CLASS FARE PASSENGERS WILL BE ACCOMODATED SUBJECT TO THE AVAILABILITY OF SPACE IN THE FIRST CLASS SECTION OF AN AIRCRAFT NOT HAVING A BUSINESS/EXECUTIVE CLASS COMPARTMENT.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:33 am

I’d be asking AA and annotating the answer. But it appears like you can cancel anytime.

Penalties

PENALTIES - CHANGES/CANCELLATIONS ANY TIME CHANGES/CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. FOR TRAVEL AGENCY BOOKINGS MADE IN MEXICO / THE CARIBBEAN / CENTRAL AND SOUTH AMERICA - AA WILL ASSESS A USD 25.00 FEE ON ANY UNTICKETED RESERVATION NOT CANCELED BEFORE DEPARTURE. ------------------------------------------------ REISSUES / EXCHANGES NOT ALLOWED TO EOU/ERU FARE TYPES.
Of course, if this is intended only to access airside facilities, such as lounges, AA has the right not to refund.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:45 am

You mean AA lounge? AA would not care about the lounge access if I used priority pass?
Originally Posted by JDiver
Id be asking AA and annotating the answer. But it appears like you can cancel anytime.

Of course, if this is intended only to access airside facilities, such as lounges, AA has the right not to refund.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I was unaware (until now) that AA pulled my SWU when they upgraded me from Y to PY (FCO-JFK) in May this year. I was hoping to get UG'd to J with the SWU (J was full). Also I thought UG to PY was complimentary (I am EXP).

What was the exact upgrade policy back in May? Should I waste my time to call AA?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by savingwizard
You mean AA lounge? AA would not care about the lounge access if I used priority pass?
JDiver means when the intention of purchasing a flexible J ticket is to access lounge, it constitutes an action that is against AA T&C. In that particular case, AA has the right to refuse refund. If that's not your case, don't worry about it.

Originally Posted by allset2travel
I was unaware (until now) that AA pulled my SWU when they upgraded me from Y to PY (FCO-JFK) in May this year. I was hoping to get UG'd to J with the SWU (J was full). Also I thought UG to PY was complimentary (I am EXP).

What was the exact upgrade policy back in May? Should I waste my time to call AA?

Thanks in advance.
That's not how SWU is supposed to work, you should call EXP desk and ask for a correction.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
More broadly, AA's T&C forbid the purchase of a ticket without the intention of using it for transportation. They won't care as long as you don't request a refund, though they probably won't know if you use a PP lounge.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:07 pm

I doubt AA would check PP lounge access, but the actual language would technically include that. From the Conditions of Carriage (link):
Attached Images  
savingwizard likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:35 pm

Quick question about the AA partner award chart. I know that I can book Qatar airways flights from the US to Africa that connect in Doha for the price of one segment (75k miles). Does it work the same way flying from Africa to AA's South Pacific region? Or would that be two segments for AA's award booking purposes(Africa->Middle East/Middle East -> South Pacific)?

Edit: NVM - found the info elsewhere. Not possible

Last edited by jaundicedave; Aug 19, 2018 at 6:30 am
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by allset2travel

Thanks in advance.
I would absolutely call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal EXP line) and ask for your SWU back.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
I just arrived at Plat status and haven't yet received a physical card -- is it possible to view/print the AA plat member card online? I checked full website, also iPad and iPhone apps and can't seem to find a link. Former link on AA website seems to lead to a dead end, unless I'm doing something wrong.

I need to contact the customer service desk to modify a ticket and am thinking that the telephone number for Plats would give a better chance of a good result. I have the Gold line telephone number from my previous card, but not the Plat telephone number. Any insights appreciated! Or, if anyone could kindly send me a DM with the Plat customer service telephone number, I would be very thankful! Thx
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
I just arrived at Plat status and haven't yet received a physical card -- is it possible to view/print the AA plat member card online? I checked full website, also iPad and iPhone apps and can't seem to find a link. Former link on AA website seems to lead to a dead end, unless I'm doing something wrong.

I need to contact the customer service desk to modify a ticket and am thinking that the telephone number for Plats would give a better chance of a good result. I have the Gold line telephone number from my previous card, but not the Plat telephone number. Any insights appreciated! Or, if anyone could kindly send me a DM with the Plat customer service telephone number, I would be very thankful! Thx
The Gold and PLT reservations number will use the same agents, your PLT status just puts you higher up in the waiting queue if there is any. So you can still call the Gold number, when you say your AA# the system will recognize that you're PLT and sort your call appropriately.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.