Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
For both of the last two questions the flight number that the flight was sold as determines the credit under the rules published by the program to which it is credited.
JDiver and TheCount2 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jmasgat
Trying to understand earning AA mile on a codeshare. I have read the AA site and looked at the earnings chart and am looking for the experts to clarify/confirm.....

If I book a flight, e.g. SEA-LHR, that is an AA codeshare flight (e.g. AA 6127 is a BA-operated flight), I will receive miles at the AA rate, correct? So 5 miles/$. But if I was to book this flight on the BA website and use my AA #, since this same flight now has a BA flight code (BA0048), would I receive AA miles at the BA rate? So based on miles flown, by fare class?

In other words, for the EXACT same flights, do you earn differently based on whether it is coded AA vs. BA (In this case, but applies to any codeshare)

Hope this makes sense, and thanks for any reply.
That is correct. The marketing carrier determines the miles, etc. earned. The marketing carrier is the carrier whose flight information appears on your ticket and boarding pass.

You can fly an AA operated flight as / marketed by BA, in which case you will earn in accordance with the BA earning chart on aa.com. Etc.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Allied to this I was very surprised booking the same flight was cheaper on AA website than BA. I guess the marketing carrier has discretion on fares too. Perhaps it is to do with inventory or revenue management policies differring in detail within a common structure. Life sure is complicated..
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
I'm anticipating a lot of TPACs next year and would like to try AAdvantage as I always seem to find cheaper fares on Oneworld. I have done zero research so far as I've only recently entertained taking a break from *A, if you can give me an 'AA for dummies' coles notes that'd be great.

- How do EQM/EQD work on AA for non-US residents (i.e. 1.5x or 2x EQM for premium fares? Are Canadians exempt from EQD like on UA?)

- How do upgrades work on international flights? (Do EXP have a number of confirm-able ones to use, like UA 1Ks with GPUs?) I'm not concerned about domestic upgrades.

- - Any other perks of EXP that are out of the ordinary (Priority Check-in, Stand-by, Lounge, Bags, Boarding)? Such as status matching with car rentals & hotels like UA has with Hertz & Marriott? I do enough nights with the combined Stariott now to keep status, but use Hertz quite a bit and love their top-tier match.

- How does RDM work? Tiered bonus like UA based on $ spend?

- How many miles typically for a R/T TPAC award, say LAX to HKG?

Many thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YYCowboy
I'm anticipating a lot of TPACs next year and would like to try AAdvantage as I always seem to find cheaper fares on Oneworld. I have done zero research so far as I've only recently entertained taking a break from *A, if you can give me an 'AA for dummies' coles notes that'd be great.

- How do EQM/EQD work on AA for non-US residents (i.e. 1.5x or 2x EQM for premium fares? Are Canadians exempt from EQD like on UA?)

- How do upgrades work on international flights? (Do EXP have a number of confirm-able ones to use, like UA 1Ks with GPUs?) I'm not concerned about domestic upgrades.

- - Any other perks of EXP that are out of the ordinary (Priority Check-in, Stand-by, Lounge, Bags, Boarding)? Such as status matching with car rentals & hotels like UA has with Hertz & Marriott? I do enough nights with the combined Stariott now to keep status, but use Hertz quite a bit and love their top-tier match.

Many thanks!
As far as I know (I have UK based account) there are no exclusions on EQD for non Domestic accounts. Unlike Delta for instance... Then AA does not impose heavy fees for redemptions out of non Domestic countries like Delta for instance. I used to be UAL 100K but their dropping of key routes and the fall off in Customer Service pushed to AA in 2003. I find AA, JAL, CX and Qantas all to be first rate but I do not think the interoperability of the booking systems and FFB's in 1W are as integrated as *A. Happy flying TPAC...
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
I would like my first ever premium class flight to be q suite next summer. I’m in Jersey so I would love to fly from NY but availability is zero. Is it possible for me to book an itinerary that lets me position from New York to IAD and fly the q suite from there to DOH and then on to JNB. Would this give me the option in the off chance availability opens up to change to a JFK - DOH direct flight without fees? Thanks for the help with hear confusing routing rules!!!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by layoverdan
I would like my first ever premium class flight to be q suite next summer. I’m in Jersey so I would love to fly from NY but availability is zero. Is it possible for me to book an itinerary that lets me position from New York to IAD and fly the q suite from there to DOH and then on to JNB. Would this give me the option in the off chance availability opens up to change to a JFK - DOH direct flight without fees? Thanks for the help with hear confusing routing rules!!!
Most of QR's fares between NYC-JNB look they only allow the nonstop to DOH or connections in BOS or PHL, so it might be 2 awards to connect in IAD. However if you find availability then by all means give AA a call and see what the award prices as.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by YYCowboy

EQM/EQD/EQS work exactly the same.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html has information and links in the Wikipost at the top of the page to specific, detailed threads on EQM and EQD.

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html and

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

See here for charts on AA and partner Airlines, etc.

Originally Posted by layoverdan
I’m assuming you’re in New Jersey, USA, rather than Jersey (JER / EGJJ), one of the Channel Islands...

See the Wikipost at the top of the page of HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance for the important basic information, and see AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd).

For redeeming on Qatar, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia : Gold
New to AA...a few newbie questions re lounge and food onboard

hi there,
Quick question, we are traveling AA MCO-DFW, in first, departing 9 am, does this 2.5 hr flight serve breakfast? we haven't flown AA before, we have Qantas club membership, does this let us in the lounge at MCO, and will they have coffee and a light breakfast?
Also, the AA lounge used for Qantas flights out of DFW, is that anywhere near the Qantas gate??? same terminal etc??

Really, this traveling thing, Its all about the food :
Thanks
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strtrek
hi there,
Quick question, we are traveling AA MCO-DFW, in first, departing 9 am, does this 2.5 hr flight serve breakfast? we haven't flown AA before, we have Qantas club membership, does this let us in the lounge at MCO, and will they have coffee and a light breakfast?
Also, the AA lounge used for Qantas flights out of DFW, is that anywhere near the Qantas gate??? same terminal etc??

Really, this traveling thing, Its all about the food :
Thanks
MCO-DFW if first should serve some type of breakfast, you can pull up your reservation at aa.com and make a meal selection within 30 days of the flight.

Your Qantas club membership will get you into any of the Admirals Clubs at MCO or DFW as long as you're flying AA that day. At DFW, you can also access the temporary "premium" lounge in Terminal D since the AC is under renovations there. However I would recommend just going to the AC in whatever terminal you're departing from. The temp lounge is not great at all. At any of the ACs you can get coffee, light snacks or breakfast, etc.

Note: QF also uses another contract lounge at DFW located in terminal D (The Club at DFW), however as noted this is a contract lounge (not operated by QF) so no access unless you're departing on QF in First or Business or have oneworld Sapphire or Emerald status.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:54 am
Suspended

Can anyone provide update when LHR Flagship Lounge is scheduled to open? Hoping it will be open before Thanksgiving. Is First lounge going to be replaced by First Dining Room as at LAX Club? Been really impressed with Flagship Lounges at LAX and ORD. Real improvement.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by rjlon
Can anyone provide update when LHR Flagship Lounge is scheduled to open? Hoping it will be open before Thanksgiving. Is First lounge going to be replaced by First Dining Room as at LAX Club? Been really impressed with Flagship Lounges at LAX and ORD. Real improvement.
No LHR updates.

I’m unsure what you’re asking here about LAX. Flagship Dining currently is offered at JFK, LAX, MIA - and will be coming to DFW. LAX offers three Admirals Clubs, a Flagship Lounge and Flagship Dining. (As well as the TBIT oneworld Business Lounge, operated by Qantas, and the Qantas First Lounge.)

Guide to Flagship First Dining at LAX / Los Angeles

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 27, 2018 at 9:40 am Reason: Add TBIT lounges
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:26 am
Suspended

Spoiler

Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:44 am

Slightly frustrating issue i wonder if anyone can assist with. I have a single booking with two flights, an AA coded BA flight connecting at LHR onto an AA flight to North America, both now within 24 hours of departure.

On ba.com i can check in for the BA flight but not the AA flight. On aa.com when i click check in it just keeps redirecting me to ba.com. Any ideas how to check in and get a boarding pass for the AA flight?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjlon
Spoiler

Yea, at LHR the new Flagship Lounge should be where the existing AA Int'l F lounge is today. EXPs flying in coach on domestic flights do not get any lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.