Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

You can funnel the points through an hotel chain that allows transfer from UR, and subsequently to AA. Hyatt comes to mind, and IHG if they participate with UR.

You’ll have to do the math to figure out your best conversion rate. Promotions are occasionally available. Transfer from hotel chain to AA will likely take some time.
I have done two SPG to AAdvantage transfers recently. 1 took 3 working days the other took 4. There is also a bonus offer in place currently.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:37 pm

I’m 873 miles short of an American Air flight I want to book.

Looked into buying miles. $29.50 for 1000. Seems kinda expensive but whatever.

$35.00 processing charge?!? Hell no! F you American.

I have a variety of other points at my disposal (i.e. Citi, Amex, Chase, Marriott). Even if transfer ratios are crappy, you can safely assume I have enough points to get 1000 AA points from a transfer.

I currently do not have an AA credit card and don’t think I have time to get points that way (need to book soon). And I don’t have any other travel plans so I can’t earn AA points by flying.

I looked into some shopping offers. Vinesse Wines in particular looked good but I spoke to them and their 2500 AA miles and 6 bottles of wine for $42 offer takes 21 days minimum for points to post which is too long. Looked into FTD too (20 pts / $1 spend) but the website says it takes 6-8 weeks for points to post.

Three questions:

(1) Transfer: what is my lowest cost transfer path to 1000 AA points?
(2) Shopping: Any shopping deals that offer a good bonus and post rewards immediately?
(3) Other: no AA credit card and can’t travel but maybe there are other options?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

tjc4 Welcome to FT ^

Originally Posted by tjc4

<snip>
You may get some hints on getting low cost AA ff miles here---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...an-flying.html Click to open the wiki.

But award flights are popular, so if you wait too long it may be gone. Depending the award flight you want $29.50 + $35.00 may be cheaper than paying 100% in cash if the award gets taken by some else.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
tjc4 Welcome to FT ^

You may get some hints on getting low cost AA ff miles here.

But award flights are popular, so if you wait too long it may be gone. Depending the award flight you want $29.50 + $35.00 may be cheaper than paying 100% in cash if the award gets taken by some else.
Thanks for sharing. Saw some advice geared toward spending miles (iTunes, magazine subscriptions, donation) to keep account active (not applicable), buying miles (on my radar, might resort to this), or earning miles that will take too long to post to be useful (credit card sign up).

Agree on the availability... want to book asap.

If I missed something that would be better than buying or converting or if you have thoughts on best conversion strategy, then please let me know.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for sharing. Saw some advice geared toward spending miles (iTunes, magazine subscriptions, donation) to keep account active (not applicable), buying miles (on my radar, might resort to this), or earning miles that will take too long to post to be useful (credit card sign up).

Agree on the availability... want to book asap.

If I missed something that would be better than buying or converting or if you have thoughts on best conversion strategy, then please let me know.
From the wiki:-
Make any purchase through https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/ that earns AA miles.
On my screen shows a 1500 miles bonus pop up. Time delay may be your problem.
Or just fly some where, have a coffee and then fly back home
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

$35.00 processing charge?!? Hell no! F you American.

I have a variety of other points at my disposal (i.e. Citi, Amex, Chase, Marriott). Even if transfer ratios are crappy, you can safely assume I have enough points to get 1000 AA points from a transfer.

I currently do not have an AA credit card and don’t think I have time to get points that way (need to book soon). And I don’t have any other travel plans so I can’t earn AA points by flying.

I looked into some shopping offers. Vinesse Wines in particular looked good but I spoke to them and their 2500 AA miles and 6 bottles of wine for $42 offer takes 21 days minimum for points to post which is too long. Looked into FTD too (20 pts / $1 spend) but the website says it takes 6-8 weeks for points to post.

Three questions:

(1) Transfer: what is my lowest cost transfer path to 1000 AA points?
(2) Shopping: Any shopping deals that offer a good bonus and post rewards immediately?
(3) Other: no AA credit card and can’t travel but maybe there are other options?
What and when are your desired flights and what does a ticket cost to just buy it?

You can put the award on hold for 5 days (free) without having the necessary miles in your account. However AFAIK just buying miles is the only method pretty much guaranteed to post within 5 days. Depending on your answer to the first question, it may be a no brainer to just buy the miles or look at other options.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Originally Posted by MADPhil
It's also a good idea as you will be on one PNR and shouldn't get split up in IROPS. If the miles are split between two accounts then it is a good idea to buy two one-way trips with both people on the same PNR for each trip for the same reason.
Many thanks guys for the advice.
I bought the points via my account and they appeared immediately. Was a bit nervous initially as it was a large $$ value and so close to the weekend. However all good!
Got through quickly to the Fiji call centre last night and confirmed my held bookings on MH J. Looking forward to trying it out!!
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
From the wiki:-
On my screen shows a 1500 miles bonus pop up. Time delay may be your problem.
Or just fly some where, have a coffee and then fly back home
That'd be a great option if not for the timing.

I looked into the AA eShopping mall but it says "The miles will typically be posted to your account within 4 weeks (30 days) of the purchase date; however, there are times when it may take up to 8 weeks. Some exceptions do apply. See participating retailer offer information on the AAdvantage eShopping mall for complete information."

Anyone know of any points shopping partners that post immediately?

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
What and when are your desired flights and what does a ticket cost to just buy it?

You can put the award on hold for 5 days (free) without having the necessary miles in your account. However AFAIK just buying miles is the only method pretty much guaranteed to post within 5 days. Depending on your answer to the first question, it may be a no brainer to just buy the miles or look at other options.
$352 or 25k miles. I though about buying one leg with $ and one with miles but they only seem to offer the non-stop flights as a roundtrip option when paying $ and not sure it's worth it.

Might just bite the bullet and buy the miles but the $35 BS fee really bugs me. Especially since I had > 25k miles just two months ago and donated 1000 to keep it active. Buying iTunes songs from now on if my miles are gonna expire
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:30 am
Suspended

Advice Please. Got two reservations booked LAX-LHR and requested upgrade on Miles and co-pay. Lomg time since i did this. I have had many upgrades on check in just using small cash apyment but wantnto use the miles to perhaps get an upgarde if it is going to happen, some time earlier to get a good seat. (Have been luck recently taking seat of pax who upgraded to First...

my question on AA109 in November and January midweek, any ideas when revenue management would start to look at upgrades? My EXP slipped as I had to stop flying for 2years for medical reasons so only Lifetime Plat (as 3m miler working on 4).

Any recentnexperience on timing likely would be appreciated.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by rjlon
Advice Please. Got two reservations booked LAX-LHR and requested upgrade on Miles and co-pay. Lomg time since i did this. I have had many upgrades on check in just using small cash apyment but wantnto use the miles to perhaps get an upgarde if it is going to happen, some time earlier to get a good seat. (Have been luck recently taking seat of pax who upgraded to First...

my question on AA109 in November and January midweek, any ideas when revenue management would start to look at upgrades? My EXP slipped as I had to stop flying for 2years for medical reasons so only Lifetime Plat (as 3m miler working on 4).

Any recentnexperience on timing likely would be appreciated.
Your priority will be based on

1) your current status. In order, CK, EP, PPRO, PLAT, GOLD, NO STATUS
2) upgrade type (you’re good there)
3) last 12 months of EQD spend
etc.

Contacting AA won’t accomplish anything toward facilitating your upgrades.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Hi. Thanks JDiver, I know all that. My question was more is there an approximate timing? So say 60 days out if inventory is still above x they make y number of seats available. If it is going to be done at T-24 there is no point to it as the copay is not far off the cash upgrade on check in. Either way it will or won’t happen depending on load. Also canceled flightsi, irops rescheduling of 136 etc. Just wanted to know if I should forget it until 30 days out or so? Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by rjlon
Hi. Thanks JDiver, I know all that. My question was more is there an approximate timing? So say 60 days out if inventory is still above x they make y number of seats available. If it is going to be done at T-24 there is no point to it as the copay is not far off the cash upgrade on check in. Either way it will or won’t happen depending on load. Also canceled flightsi, irops rescheduling of 136 etc. Just wanted to know if I should forget it until 30 days out or so? Thanks.
It’s too dynamic to predict like that, IMO, as it takes in current actual, historic and predicted sales. OSO affect the issue closer in, generally.. What they do know about their algorithms is highly proprietary, so all we can do is speculate.

And DODU cash upgrades are offered after upgrades are handled, AFAIK.

Though there are upgrade windows, those aren’t reliable either. I’ve had a couple of upgrades come through long before the upgrade window opened, I’ve had a few at the gate.

A lot more discussion and experiences here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Thanks. As I thought, a movable feast...
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:55 pm

Trying to understand earning AA mile on a codeshare. I have read the AA site and looked at the earnings chart and am looking for the experts to clarify/confirm.....

If I book a flight, e.g. SEA-LHR, that is an AA codeshare flight (e.g. AA 6127 is a BA-operated flight), I will receive miles at the AA rate, correct? So 5 miles/$. But if I was to book this flight on the BA website and use my AA #, since this same flight now has a BA flight code (BA0048), would I receive AA miles at the BA rate? So based on miles flown, by fare class?

In other words, for the EXACT same flights, do you earn differently based on whether it is coded AA vs. BA (In this case, but applies to any codeshare)

Hope this makes sense, and thanks for any reply.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jmasgat
Trying to understand earning AA mile on a codeshare. I have read the AA site and looked at the earnings chart and am looking for the experts to clarify/confirm.....

If I book a flight, e.g. SEA-LHR, that is an AA codeshare flight (e.g. AA 6127 is a BA-operated flight), I will receive miles at the AA rate, correct? So 5 miles/$. But if I was to book this flight on the BA website and use my AA #, since this same flight now has a BA flight code (BA0048), would I receive AA miles at the BA rate? So based on miles flown, by fare class?

In other words, for the EXACT same flights, do you earn differently based on whether it is coded AA vs. BA (In this case, but applies to any codeshare)

Hope this makes sense, and thanks for any reply.
I have questions in addition to this. Flying a revenue ticket in I class on the AA flight number appears to be I class on BA also. If I have an AA ticket do I get 2 EQMs and 100% EQDs or do I get the BA rates of 1.5 EQM and 0.3 PQD?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.