Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
What's JAL's equivalent to AA's CK? I wasn't aware there was anything higher than Diamond!
If anyone needs to ask they probably do not qualify.
Often not about flying, but influence

1000's of people have top tier status. And some will have that status for years/decades.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If anyone needs to ask they probably do not qualify.
Often not about flying, but influence

1000's of people have top tier status. And some will have that status for years/decades.
I understand that, but am just curious to what the actual name of the status is...
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
When refunding an award that has been charged expedite issuing fees, does the $ 75 expedited fees refunded also with all the taxes and carrier imposed charges?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
I understand that, but am just curious to what the actual name of the status is...
This is Japan we are talking about. I doubt there is anything as vulgar as a published name. As another poster observed, if you do not know about it, you are not in it. Whereas AA is very strongly focused on revenue and corporate travel expenditure controllers JL will likely involve (as another poster observed) those with influence.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
When refunding an award that has been charged expedite issuing fees, does the $ 75 expedited fees refunded also with all the taxes and carrier imposed charges?
As far as I know, the expedite fee is non refundable.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Re Liverpool call center
Thanks. An agent contacted me stating that he was in Liverpool. Seemed weird but it probably is the exUS site.
Cheers
Originally Posted by JDiver
US did, so perhaps AA has kept it?
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Re Liverpool call center
Thanks. An agent contacted me stating that he was in Liverpool. Seemed weird but it probably is the exUS site.
Cheers
These days, nearly anything is possible. I called my local newspaper for a delivery issue, gotbtheir contracted people in the Philippines. Call AA in Australia or New Zealand, get the Mindpearl (South Africa) call centre in Suva, Fiji.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:53 pm

Does anyone know how reduced mileage awards calculate the discount?

I am trying to get a reservation issued and when the agent tries to apply the code, it results in half lf the advertised discount (1k miles instead of 2k for an economy short haul flight).
Is this due to the fact that the itinerary is one way and not round trip? (No mention on this on the AA webpage)
Or due to the fact that one of the two airports in the trip is not on the list for the reduced awards?

Still trying to figure out how these work. Thanks,
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage GLD
What are the odds of being offered an upgrade (for an additional fee) to International J at check-in or on the app? Last year I was offered, and took one of those, but I want to know if it's a rare thing or if I can get my wallet ready for it.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Not really newbie, but I couldn't find a relevant thread and didn't want to open a new one. Made a booking through Citi portal on AA flight number operated by IB. Apparently my FF# (and sapphire status) didn't make it all the way through to IB and therefore I cannot select a seat for free. Literally no recourse being offered. Called Platinum desk and told no. Called Iberia and told no. Twitter support says no. Is this a common issue? Was I stupid for using the portal? Is there anyone with similar experience having success?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by ftfan
Does anyone know how reduced mileage awards calculate the discount?

I am trying to get a reservation issued and when the agent tries to apply the code, it results in half lf the advertised discount (1k miles instead of 2k for an economy short haul flight).
Is this due to the fact that the itinerary is one way and not round trip? (No mention on this on the AA webpage)
Or due to the fact that one of the two airports in the trip is not on the list for the reduced awards?

Still trying to figure out how these work. Thanks,
Are you trying to book a short haul (500 miles or less) one way? If so, then 1,000 sounds correct per T&C.

Terms and conditionsExpand
Reduced mileage awards offer eligible AAdvantage® cardmembers a discount when redeeming American Airlines AAdvantage® miles for one-way or roundtrip MileSAAver awards to select destinations.
Discount
Depending on the eligible AAdvantage® credit card that you have, the MileSAAver mileage discount is: 5,000 round-trip / 2,500 one-way or 7,500 round-trip / 3,750 one-way, if your travel booked is greater than 500 miles in distance. Refer to your cardmember agreement.

Depending on the eligible AAdvantage® credit card that you have, the MileSAAver mileage discount is: 1,000 round-trip / 500 one-way or 2,000 round-trip / 1,000 one-way, if your travel booked is less than or equal to 500 miles in distance. Refer to your cardmember agreement.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by BLazarus22
Not really newbie, but I couldn't find a relevant thread and didn't want to open a new one. Made a booking through Citi portal on AA flight number operated by IB. Apparently my FF# (and sapphire status) didn't make it all the way through to IB and therefore I cannot select a seat for free. Literally no recourse being offered. Called Platinum desk and told no. Called Iberia and told no. Twitter support says no. Is this a common issue? Was I stupid for using the portal? Is there anyone with similar experience having success?
What do you mean you were "told no?" AA and IB flat out refused to add your FF#? Or they added it but your status didn't show up? Or something else?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
What do you mean you were "told no?" AA and IB flat out refused to add your FF#? Or they added it but your status didn't show up? Or something else?
I guess it would be the second option? I'm not entirely sure what is happening, but my FF# is clearly in the AA record locator. AA said they can't add it to the Iberia record and IB said AA needs to add it. There doesn't appear to be an IB 6 character alphanumeric record locator but in going through the AA record there is a 5 character version that isn't recognizing my status. Honestly I'm as perplexed as I am angry. I don't understand how they can't just have a workaround to select seats without making me pay given I clearly have the status.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by BLazarus22
I guess it would be the second option? I'm not entirely sure what is happening, but my FF# is clearly in the AA record locator. AA said they can't add it to the Iberia record and IB said AA needs to add it. There doesn't appear to be an IB 6 character alphanumeric record locator but in going through the AA record there is a 5 character version that isn't recognizing my status. Honestly I'm as perplexed as I am angry. I don't understand how they can't just have a workaround to select seats without making me pay given I clearly have the status.
Using Twitter, DM @AmericanAir and see if they can get you the actual IB PNR. I Then try using the Finnair site. Some members have had success that way, and with the actual IN PNR you could try Iberia again - of course the operating airline can change your FFN. But IB ground staff can be a little obtuse - reluctant to offer good customer service, shall we say.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by zennacko
What are the odds of being offered an upgrade (for an additional fee) to International J at check-in or on the app? Last year I was offered, and took one of those, but I want to know if it's a rare thing or if I can get my wallet ready for it.

Very slim. If you want J, buy J.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.