Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:47 pm

AA award tix & ExpertFlyer

Hello all. When discussing my desire to fly PIT => LIM at the end of '18 on this forum a couple of months ago suggested that I buy an annual membership to ExpertFlyer and I've finally bitten the bullet and done that.

I've briefly gotten on ExpertFlyer and played around a little with the award section of that site. My question is, when I run a query for certain Dec/Jan dates for a round trip between PIT and LIM, ExpertFlyer shows some award tix available that the AA site does not show. How do I book those tickets?

Thanks.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Feb 11 AA 735 MAN-PHL

Originally Posted by thegrailer
Can one determine why a flight was delayed? AA seems to be making excuses and I cannot verify if the agents were simply making up stuff

Cheers
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
What flight was it? ExpertFlyer has this ability but only back a certain amount of time in the past.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:38 am
Suspended

Early Check in for Bags

I am routing HNL-LAX-LHR. I know arriving late evening at LAX as flight to LHR leaves following day I cannot through check bags. My question is what is the earliest I can check in and deposit my bags at LAX for 5.25 pm departure to LHR? I would like to get all the hassle done early so I can drive over to Marina Del Rey and have a leisurely long Lunch not worrying about manhandling bags and the like...

Last edited by flyertalker54234; Feb 22, 2018 at 1:31 am Reason: spellcheck corrects place names incorrectly
Old Feb 23, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Quick question about the same day flight change - I have an award booking. The flight I want is the one from ALB - PHL departing 5pm but only the one departing 6am has availability, so I booked the one departing 6am. Can I use the same day flight change to change myself to the flight departing 5pm, assuming there is availability?
I am EXP if this is helpful... Thank you!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Award ticket with an overnight break?

Want to book an award ticket using AA miles on BA. Fly from ATH to LHR late afternoon and then continue next morning to SEA. ( overnight in London) Is this allowed and can it be booked online or do I need to call CS.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Tommys888
Quick question about the same day flight change - I have an award booking. The flight I want is the one from ALB - PHL departing 5pm but only the one departing 6am has availability, so I booked the one departing 6am. Can I use the same day flight change to change myself to the flight departing 5pm, assuming there is availability?
I am EXP if this is helpful... Thank you!
If there is award availability, you can change time if day or date for free.

Originally Posted by david55
Want to book an award ticket using AA miles on BA. Fly from ATH to LHR late afternoon and then continue next morning to SEA. ( overnight in London) Is this allowed and can it be booked online or do I need to call CS.
You can layover up to 23:59 on International flights. You can try online, or find the flights you want with availability and if you can’t book them online call. There are hotels nearby (Hotel Hoppa bus, iirc £4.50), as well as Hilton (Free rail to T-4,covered walkway), etc.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:07 pm

[QUOTE=JDiver;29451731]If there is award availability, you can change time if day or date for free.

Just want to make sure I understand you correctly - currently I can book the flight 6am for 7500 miles or the flight 5pm for 30000 miles. I actually want the 5pm one but since this flight requires much more miles to book, I booked myself on the 6am one and intend to use the same day flight change to change to the 5pm one on the day of departure.

Are you indicating as long as there will be seats available on the 5pm flight, I should be able to use the same day flight change to put myself on the 5pm flight?

Thank you!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EP
Technically for you to get confirmed on the 5:00pm flight T class would have to become available. There is always standby or the hope that AA would go to bat for you and try to get T opened up on the day of departure.

[QUOTE=Tommys888;29452321]
Originally Posted by JDiver
If there is award availability, you can change time if day or date for free.

Just want to make sure I understand you correctly - currently I can book the flight 6am for 7500 miles or the flight 5pm for 30000 miles. I actually want the 5pm one but since this flight requires much more miles to book, I booked myself on the 6am one and intend to use the same day flight change to change to the 5pm one on the day of departure.

Are you indicating as long as there will be seats available on the 5pm flight, I should be able to use the same day flight change to put myself on the 5pm flight?

Thank you!
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:17 pm

[QUOTE=AAExecPlatFlier;29452336][left]Technically for you to get confirmed on the 5:00pm flight T class would have to become available. There is always standby or the hope that AA would go to bat for you and try to get T opened up on the day of departure.

Yes, I think that’s more or less what I said, but the OP is hoping I meant any award class. That won’t work; must be the same award class as the early morning flight. And IMO, it’s unlikely they’ll open up an award seat on a call.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Tommys888 originally asked about "same day flight change".

I think the replies are confusing since you have 3 different options for the change.
  1. Same Day Confirmed, which may be available within 24 hours of departure. The fare class for this (is it still E class? ) must be available. Free as an EXP, others would pay.
  2. Saver award free date/time change. Available anytime, if T class (saver coach) opens up. Free for anyone.
  3. Same day standby. If neither of the above open up, as an elite, stand by for last seat availability at the gate. With the risk that if it doesn't, you're stuck in ALB. Free for elites, others pay.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by swag
Tommys888 originally asked about "same day flight change".

I think the replies are confusing since you have 3 different options for the change.
  1. Same Day Confirmed, which may be available within 24 hours of departure. The fare class for this (is it still E class? ) must be available. Free as an EXP, others would pay.
  2. Saver award free date/time change. Available anytime, if T class (saver coach) opens up. Free for anyone.
  3. Same day standby. If neither of the above open up, as an elite, stand by for last seat availability at the gate. With the risk that if it doesn't, you're stuck in ALB. Free for elites, others pay.
I thought as long as a seat is available, I can change to a later flight for free as EXP, based on same day flight change rule. not that only when a T or E class is available.

Maybe i misundestood.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:17 pm

A few questions about from an infrequent flyer

I don't fly regularly and may soon have my two trips on AA, one in coach and one in business. I had the following questions:

1. I'm considering paying for Main Cabin extra seats on an E190 flight I'll have. Should I select from row 5 (bulkhead) or row 12 (exit row)? What is the seat pitch in each of these rows?

2. I will be checking bags, and will be connecting in BOS from an AA flight to an AC flight on a separate ticket leaving about 3.5 hours later. Would AA be willing to through-check my bags? Would the answer be the same if I were connecting to a UA flight also leaving about 3 hours later?

3. On my other trip (in business) my itinerary involves an overnight connection (fly into JFK one evening, take the JFK-LHR daytime nonstop the following morning); would AA through-check my bags overnight and does it matter if the connection is more or less than 12 hours?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by yonatan
I don't fly regularly and may soon have my two trips on AA, one in coach and one in business. I had the following questions:

1. I'm considering paying for Main Cabin extra seats on an E190 flight I'll have. Should I select from row 5 (bulkhead) or row 12 (exit row)? What is the seat pitch in each of these rows?

I can’t answer this.

2. I will be checking bags, and will be connecting in BOS from an AA flight to an AC flight on a separate ticket leaving about 3.5 hours later. Would AA be willing to through-check my bags? Would the answer be the same if I were connecting to a UA flight also leaving about 3 hours later?

AA will NOT through check your baggage. You’ll have to go Land side, recover your baggage and recheck with Air Canada and process airside.

3. On my other trip (in business) my itinerary involves an overnight connection (fly into JFK one evening, take the JFK-LHR daytime nonstop the following morning); would AA through-check my bags overnight and does it matter if the connection is more or less than 12 hours?
AA will NOT through check your baggage if ticketing is on separate ticketing / PNRs even if you’re flying all AA. If you’re on a single AA PNR, they can through check if it’s under 12 hours.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EP
It’s very confusing. And AA chooses not to define what classes need to be available for a sdfc on the various ticket types.

I thought as long as a seat is available, I can change to a later flight for free as EXP, based on same day flight change rule. not that only when a T or E class is available.

Maybe i misundestood.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by yonatan

On AA RJs, the right side bulkhead aisle (5D on the E190) is my favorite coach seat on the plane. With just a curtain instead of a bulkhead between you and the F seats, you have lots of legroom and also underseat stowage.

On the other hand, IMO, the left side aisle (5C) is terrible. In front of you is the aisle in F, so there's no place to put a bag even once in flight. It seems like you'd have lots of legroom, but you need to tuck your feet back every time the FA walks past. And you get bumped a lot when people walk by.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.