Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Does seem to be gone. Wonder if it is a glitch or if they are showing it only for the -st quarter. Hmmm. I gues Call AA then.

Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: SkyMiles Silver/MM, HHonors Gold, MileagePlus/newbie, AAdvantage/novice
Seat selections on flight to Europe (Paris)

Hi, I'm new to AA, so this question was probably asked before, thus apologies if I repeat...

I just booked CLT-CDG flight for 5/22, and I don't seem to be able to select seats - unless I pay AA big bucks ($142/pp for extra leg room & early boarding, or $77 for "favorable location". Really?)
Is this typical/normal? We didn't pay a lot for our tix, and if we paid $142x2 for early boarding, both ways, it'd be like paying 50% more for our tickets. Duh....

What are the rules for seat selection before departure? Will there be any chance wife and I will sit next to each other?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MileJunkieIsHereAgain
Hi, I'm new to AA, so this question was probably asked before, thus apologies if I repeat...

I just booked CLT-CDG flight for 5/22, and I don't seem to be able to select seats - unless I pay AA big bucks ($142/pp for extra leg room & early boarding, or $77 for "favorable location". Really?)
Is this typical/normal? We didn't pay a lot for our tix, and if we paid $142x2 for early boarding, both ways, it'd be like paying 50% more for our tickets. Duh....

What are the rules for seat selection before departure? Will there be any chance wife and I will sit next to each other?
Some of the answers depend on which fare you purchased. For example, “B” or “Basic Economy” on AA (also offered by other airlines) means no advance seat selection (assigned at checkin) or overhead carryon. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html.

As well, AA is one of the airlines that has monetized much of the flying experience: if you have no status and purchased a lower gate, it is more restricted and may incur costs for “premium” or better seating, etc.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Gold
Defective Seat Pod on Long-haul AA Flight

Originally Posted by JY1024
Welcome to our 2018 Newbie Lounge Thread!

/AA Moderator Team
Recently flew AA 154 (ORD-NRT) on 57,500 mile business class award ticket. One hour into the flight it was discovered that seat pod and tray table were defective, and I had to eat meals on armrest. Could not use tray table for work. Power plugs were not working in the seat as well. Could not be reseated as cabin was full. FA issued 2000 miles for the problem. I e-mailed customer relations twice stating that 2000 miles was not satisfactory compensation for a 13+ hour flight. Their response is "too bad" that's what we compensate for a broken tray table.

I have no elite AAdvantage status (regular member) but have 730K lifetime miles since 1982. Do I have any further recourse with them?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I recommend reading the thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...t=Compensation, starting with the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Silver/MM, HHonors Gold, MileagePlus/newbie, AAdvantage/novice
I don't see my Fare Basis, all it says (on-line) "Economy". I was able to assign seats on ATL-CLT and CLT-ATL legs, but not the ones over the water.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:13 pm

It should be in the email confirmation.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:05 pm

Carry on baggage check in Miami

Hello everyone,
I'm traveling from Italy to CUN on AA premium economy and I have a question about transit in MIA.
Since I plan on traveling with all diving gear, I'll bring my canister diving light. Do you know if transiting in Miami I have to pass again through security or re-check luggage? I don't want a TSA idiot confiscating me my 1500$ light (legal and UN38.3 compliant, but I really don't want to argue with US officials)

Thanks!
Alessandro
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I'm wondering if I should switch my flight out of JFK to CX F so that I can access the JFK AA Flagship lounge with F dining. My current flight will give me access to the LH Senator Lounge without the dining, Is the AA experience significantly better on the ground at JFK?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Red259
I'm wondering if I should switch my flight out of JFK to CX F so that I can access the JFK AA Flagship lounge with F dining. My current flight will give me access to the LH Senator Lounge without the dining, Is the AA experience significantly better on the ground at JFK?
What is your current itinerary, and does switching to CX make sense or are you just considering it for lounge access at JFK?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by LordElrond
Hello everyone,
I'm traveling from Italy to CUN on AA premium economy and I have a question about transit in MIA.
Since I plan on traveling with all diving gear, I'll bring my canister diving light. Do you know if transiting in Miami I have to pass again through security or re-check luggage? I don't want a TSA idiot confiscating me my 1500$ light (legal and UN38.3 compliant, but I really don't want to argue with US officials)

Thanks!
Alessandro
I believe all internatinal arrivals do the custome thing, get baggage and come out on the public side so yes, you would have to do security again.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
What is your current itinerary, and does switching to CX make sense or are you just considering it for lounge access at JFK?
Currently its JAL in F for JFK-NRT leaving at 11:30am and five hour layover in NRT then on to shanghai in J arriving around 9:45 pm. If I could swing a good CX flight like 10:00 out of JFK to HKG all in F and then 3 hours in HKG before flying J into SHA landing at 20:10 which may let me catch the maglev into the center vs taking a cab the entire way, which is likely what I would have to do with the JAL flight arrival time. Or taking a 01:30 flight from JFK-HKG and then 5:15-8:15am layover in HKG getting into SHA at 11:05..
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Red259
Currently its JAL in F for JFK-NRT leaving at 11:30am and five hour layover in NRT then on to shanghai in J arriving around 9:45 pm. If I could swing a good CX flight like 10:00 out of JFK to HKG all in F and then 3 hours in HKG before flying J into SHA landing at 20:10 which may let me catch the maglev into the center vs taking a cab the entire way, which is likely what I would have to do with the JAL flight arrival time. Or taking a 01:30 flight from JFK-HKG and then 5:15-8:15am layover in HKG getting into SHA at 11:05..
If the timing works better for the CX flights, then choose that. The JL product in F is, by many accounts, superior to that of CX, especially over the last few years, when CX has seen a considerable decline in quality. So if the product in the air matters more to you, I'd stick with JL.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL
If the timing works better for the CX flights, then choose that. The JL product in F is, by many accounts, superior to that of CX, especially over the last few years, when CX has seen a considerable decline in quality. So if the product in the air matters more to you, I'd stick with JL.
Hmm I didn't realize the CX product had gone down that much. Flew them last year and it was alright but not as good as when I flew them 3 years ago. I thought it was just me though. If all else was equal I probably would just stay with JAL but the dates and times are a bit better with CX availability. Was interested in the new AA flagship lounge but it probably isn't of the same caliber as international F lounges I suppose.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
I have about 6k AAdvantage miles that I would hate to see expire (2.5 months from now). For someone based outside the US, what is the easiest way to extend them? I don't believe the shopping portal is an option for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.