Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Parkdesigner
Ok - help?!
(Not sure where in the forum to turn to to post this one!)

I'm on FRA-DFW tomorrow - for a month there have been 12+ empty seats in J. Last night my flight - just my flight - switched seat maps. Went from 11 available seats on EF to 5. An hour ago EF sent an alert saying C inventory was open and yet my SWU as a CK has still not cleared. Fearing the worst (that I had been attacked by electronic gremlins and overlooked/fallen off the list) I called in. 1 seat left.

Seat map changed as I'm the unlucky so-and-so who is flying N800AN! So I lost 8 seats of possible award space in J. (Thank you Dougie.)
(No seriously, I do my homework and I plan... had either DFW or CLT to connect through, had 4 days to choose from - so of the 8 possible flights - all at less that 50% filled J two weeks out, I chose the one flight that ended up getting swapped for this craptacular 787!)

Anyway, long story short - I have no idea how to pick a PE seat on the 788? Seatguru only has non-PE and the 789s loaded as maps. I've tried searching here - can't find any trip reports! Can't even find random photos in google.

Anyone know where to find info on this very specific bird?

TIA!
That is definitely unlucky, what did AA say when you called when you received the EF alert that C space had opened?

As to the 788 PE seats, not surprising there's no info or trip reports etc. as there's only one airframe flying the PE setup. But the seats should be exactly the same as the 789, so I'd just go by that as far as seat selection goes.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Am I correct in understanding that, even without status, I can change dates on a sAAver award for free (assuming I can find sAAver space in the new dates, of course) so long as the endpoints and airlines don't change?

What about co-terminal changes or routing changes?
Please read the thread and particularly the Wikipost of AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd).

Some changes, yes, as JJeffrey pointed out. But relative to awards, co-terminals do not exist.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:41 am

Qualifying Period Ends When?

Hey all. The qualifying period for yearly status ends on 12/31 or 1/31? I just completed a quick mileage run to lock in Platinum Pro, so I'm very happy about that. Do flights in January count towards the annual status? I have two more coming between now and then, and I'm told that my offer to "keep/elevate" status will change as I've had more activity.

Wondering if they'll send me a reasonable offer to bump to Exec Platinum once my mileage run flights post. Currently they're offering me Platinum Pro still @ $995 but once these flights post, I'll already have attained that on my own.

I've got an incredibly heavy flight schedule for 2019, so bumping into the higher benefit will equal out to a lot of bonus miles for me.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ceolife
Hey all. The qualifying period for yearly status ends on 12/31 or 1/31? I just completed a quick mileage run to lock in Platinum Pro, so I'm very happy about that. Do flights in January count towards the annual status? I have two more coming between now and then, and I'm told that my offer to "keep/elevate" status will change as I've had more activity.

Wondering if they'll send me a reasonable offer to bump to Exec Platinum once my mileage run flights post. Currently they're offering me Platinum Pro still @ $995 but once these flights post, I'll already have attained that on my own.

I've got an incredibly heavy flight schedule for 2019, so bumping into the higher benefit will equal out to a lot of bonus miles for me.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Qualifying year is the calendar year, ending 31 December. Your offer will depend entirely on your calendar year 2018 earnings.

Your January flights will count only for 2019.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:14 am

Thanks for the welcome... and for clearing that up!

Looking forward to contributing here.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You are correct, free date changes on awards as long as the origin and destination don't change.

Routing changes are fine as long as the O&D stay the same. So changing from LAX-ORD-LGA to LAX-DFW-LGA is a no fee change.

Changing your award to start or end from a different co-terminal though will trigger the fee. They are considered different airports for this so technically you're changing your origin or destination.

You can even change airlines for no fee as long as the award type doesn't change. This is where it gets confusing, but generally speaking as long as the mixture of airlines on your award stays the same, or within oneworld, there should be no fee. So changing an award that has AS/AA to just AA should trigger the fee (changing from all partner award to all AA/oneworld award). But changing an award that has CX/AA to JL/AA should be no fee (award remains all AA/oneworld).
I would say in general routing changes don't incur a fee as long as origin and destination remain the same. But there are some important exceptions.

First, as you point out, the type of award cannot change, but any change that involves adding or dropping a non-Oneworld airline incurs a fee, even if it doesn't change the award type. Second, the fare rules of the "governing" carrier have to allow the routing. Third, if the "governing" carrier changes, this might incur a change fee (I haven't run into this issue recently so don't know if the rule has changed).

Anyways, the following thread is helpful and probably includes other exceptions that haven't come to mind at the moment:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ancel-etc.html

Finally, the discussion starting at post 1513 in the following thread might be of relevance in terms of how easy it will be changing awards going forward. The gist is that apparently agents are supposed to search on origin and destination; no going segment-by-segment.
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Last edited by flyingeph12; Dec 29, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks @JJeffrey @JDiver @flyingeph12 -- lots of useful information.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
...adding or dropping any non-Oneworld segment incurs a fee, even if it doesn't change the award type.
This is not correct, the drop-segment provision is not limited to OneWorld.

The -change- segment rule is OneWorld only.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
This is not correct, the drop-segment provision is not limited to OneWorld.

The -change- segment rule is OneWorld only.
Yes, sorry, I was sloppy with my language. I meant to say something along the lines of "any change that adds or drops a non-Oneworld airline." For example, my understanding is that changing HKG-(CX)-LAX-(AS)-SEA to HKG-(CX)-LAX-(AA)-SEA [and vice versa] would incur a change fee, even though the award type does not change. Similarly, changing HKG-(CX)-LAX-(AA)-SEA to HKG-(CX)-LAX-(AA)-SFO-(AS)-SEA [and vice versa] would also incur a change fee.

I agree the drop-segment provision (which may change the origin or destination) works differently.

I have updated my previous post. Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
That is definitely unlucky, what did AA say when you called when you received the EF alert that C space had opened?

As to the 788 PE seats, not surprising there's no info or trip reports etc. as there's only one airframe flying the PE setup. But the seats should be exactly the same as the 789, so I'd just go by that as far as seat selection goes.
Unlucky is one way to put it... sigh...

When I called the agent I was Mr. Nice - as that has always proven the best way to get help - so no "What the?!? DYKWIA?! CK!!! Grumble... grumble." Rather, I explained that I was concerned given I had watched half the cabin go unsold for the past month - and that overnight the 13+ available seats had shifted to 5. Also stated that I read on AA.com a few mins earlier that "System Wide Upgrades Available" were listed for my my flight tomorrow. Given that I had not received one, I was worried I might have been overlooked. AAgent said "not a problem, let me see here.... ah... yes... there is only one seat open, so if it's going to upgrade, it will happen at the airport." I expressed my surprise that 5 seats had gone to 1, and that I was not one of them, given I've never seen more that three CKs on a flight at the same time! (Which is true**) She didn't bite. Offered no further information, simply said "Well, there is one seat now, so if it happens, it will be at the airport tomorrow. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

To be fair - she was not rude, but also - clearly not interested in trying to understand why a multi-million miller CK with a SWU in the system had not cleared the upgrade when others had. (EF sent me two notices that Charlie inventory was available about 2 hours apart, the more recent one corresponding with the AA.com notice that an upgrade was available.)

** Just as a data point, I've never seen more than 3 CKs on the same plane (or at least, ever board when called together). 75+ segments this year, mostly LAX-LHR/HKG/PVG and ORD-LHR, and domestic PHL, DFW, JFK. 70%+ I'm the only CK (at called boarding). 20%+ me and one other. Rarely a third. So, I do have a hard time believing that at the holiday, in Frankfurt of all places, there is suddenly a slew of CKs on my very flight. I'll never be able to prove I got passed over on the AA-super-secret-double-probation upgrade list, but I have a suspicion something went wonky with the equipment change*** and now I get to be the FTer that posts the first trip report from the 788 PE.

*** Also, the AAgent never offered info about 787-800 with/without PE. Never explained that 8 of the seats disappeared with the swap overnight. I only know that because I had to go digging for an explanation on the seat map oddity.

Thanks for the advice on the 789 vs 788 seat maps. My main concern was taking a bulkhead window to find neither a window, nor leg room. If the 789 proxy is to be believed, it should be ok!

Cheers!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Yes, sorry, I was sloppy with my language. I meant to say something along the lines of "any change that adds or drops a non-Oneworld airline." For example, my understanding is that changing HKG-(CX)-LAX-(AS)-SEA to HKG-(CX)-LAX-(AA)-SEA [and vice versa] would incur a change fee, even though the award type does not change. Similarly, changing HKG-(CX)-LAX-(AA)-SEA to HKG-(CX)-LAX-(AA)-SFO-(AS)-SEA [and vice versa] would also incur a change fee.

I agree the drop-segment provision (which may change the origin or destination) works differently.

I have updated my previous post. Thanks!
But what if, on a PHL-(AA)-SEA-(AS)-PDX award, the traveler simply elected to drop the SEA-PDX segment on AS? Would that trigger the fee since you would now be left with a one-segment, all-AA award of PHL-SEA?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:55 pm
zyq

Programs: AA/Oneworld
Hey guys question about being 1550 miles short for an award flight.

I want to book a Qatar flight from Addis Ababa - Doha - JFK for 40k miles and $60 in fees.

However, I am at 38,450 at Platinum Pro status with AA. I was considering buying a couple grand worth of miles to make the 40k but they seem to be a terrible deal: 98.43 for 2k after taxes and fees. Another option would be going on a miles run but that would cost more than paying for the miles. There might be a chance that I will travel for work before my trip but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to acquire these remaining miles to 40k.

Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
You are correct in the Yes/No answers...
Thanks for confirming!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by zyq
Hey guys question about being 1550 miles short for an award flight.

I want to book a Qatar flight from Addis Ababa - Doha - JFK for 40k miles and $60 in fees.

However, I am at 38,450 at Platinum Pro status with AA. I was considering buying a couple grand worth of miles to make the 40k but they seem to be a terrible deal: 98.43 for 2k after taxes and fees. Another option would be going on a miles run but that would cost more than paying for the miles. There might be a chance that I will travel for work before my trip but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to acquire these remaining miles to 40k.

Thanks.
Where are you based? Do you have, or can you get, an AA credit card?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:49 pm

If there was C space available, possibly others were able to call grab the seats.

Originally Posted by Parkdesigner
Unlucky is one way to put it... sigh...

When I called the agent I was Mr. Nice - as that has always proven the best way to get help - so no "What the?!? DYKWIA?! CK!!! Grumble... grumble." Rather, I explained that I was concerned given I had watched half the cabin go unsold for the past month - and that overnight the 13+ available seats had shifted to 5. Also stated that I read on AA.com a few mins earlier that "System Wide Upgrades Available" were listed for my my flight tomorrow. Given that I had not received one, I was worried I might have been overlooked. AAgent said "not a problem, let me see here.... ah... yes... there is only one seat open, so if it's going to upgrade, it will happen at the airport." I expressed my surprise that 5 seats had gone to 1, and that I was not one of them, given I've never seen more that three CKs on a flight at the same time! (Which is true**) She didn't bite. Offered no further information, simply said "Well, there is one seat now, so if it happens, it will be at the airport tomorrow. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

To be fair - she was not rude, but also - clearly not interested in trying to understand why a multi-million miller CK with a SWU in the system had not cleared the upgrade when others had. (EF sent me two notices that Charlie inventory was available about 2 hours apart, the more recent one corresponding with the AA.com notice that an upgrade was available.)

** Just as a data point, I've never seen more than 3 CKs on the same plane (or at least, ever board when called together). 75+ segments this year, mostly LAX-LHR/HKG/PVG and ORD-LHR, and domestic PHL, DFW, JFK. 70%+ I'm the only CK (at called boarding). 20%+ me and one other. Rarely a third. So, I do have a hard time believing that at the holiday, in Frankfurt of all places, there is suddenly a slew of CKs on my very flight. I'll never be able to prove I got passed over on the AA-super-secret-double-probation upgrade list, but I have a suspicion something went wonky with the equipment change*** and now I get to be the FTer that posts the first trip report from the 788 PE.

*** Also, the AAgent never offered info about 787-800 with/without PE. Never explained that 8 of the seats disappeared with the swap overnight. I only know that because I had to go digging for an explanation on the seat map oddity.

Thanks for the advice on the 789 vs 788 seat maps. My main concern was taking a bulkhead window to find neither a window, nor leg room. If the 789 proxy is to be believed, it should be ok!

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.