Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
We have AA flights ORD-SAN in 2 days. 4 & half hour flight. Do they serve any meals/drinks? anything to eat? Is the plane a small like the one that flies to YYZ or bigger one?
We are four and includes one senior and a minor child. I received an email from AA asking about meal order for this flight. I bet it is very expensive if we order it so ain't gonna bother,
You don't say what time of day the flight is or which cabin you are in. In coach you will get soft drinks and something like a bag of chips. The option to buy a meal may be worth it but you could also carry food on, there may be limited food for sale on the flight. All ORD-SAN flight seem to be 737s which are mainline regular jets.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil
You don't say what time of day the flight is or which cabin you are in. In coach you will get soft drinks and something like a bag of chips. The option to buy a meal may be worth it but you could also carry food on, there may be limited food for sale on the flight. All ORD-SAN flight seem to be 737s which are mainline regular jets.
It is 11:44am flight in coach. Will the airport security allow food? If yes, we would like to carry meals with us to eat in flight. Also can we gate check a light backless booster car seat? It is 6 pound, It is for use in car rental.
We have a senior and an autistic child, we will request early boarding. the senior traveler doesn't have TSA precheck but 3 of us do .
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
It is 11:44am flight in coach. Will the airport security allow food? If yes, we would like to carry meals with us to eat in flight. Also can we gate check a light backless booster car seat? It is 6 pound, It is for use in car rental.
We have a senior and an autistic child, we will request early boarding. the senior traveler doesn't have TSA precheck but 3 of us do .
You can certainly purchase food and drink at any of the numerous food-service establishments located after the security checkpoint, and bring those items on board. You can also bring your own food, but it will be subject to x-ray -- and maybe hand -- inspection, and it must not violate the TSA liquids rule.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
I do this at least a couple of times a year. Sometimes I book a round trip beginninin in Europe in April, return in November. This year we used miles to LIS, from LIS and to KEF. I’m pretty sure there will be award seating released between now and September. That’s shoulder season to boot.

Where are you flying from and to?
Thanks! Flying to London to get to the cruise port in Dover. I am based in DAY so options to Europe typically involve ORD, PHL, or CLT (transferring LGA to JFK also a potential option). I hadn't considered booking round trip....there's truly no penalty for no showing on the return leg?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Grsdo
Thanks! Flying to London to get to the cruise port in Dover. I am based in DAY so options to Europe typically involve ORD, PHL, or CLT (transferring LGA to JFK also a potential option). I hadn't considered booking round trip....there's truly no penalty for no showing on the return leg?
I think as long as people don’t do this frequently, it shouldn’t be a problem. If one books a return far out, if the schedule changes it could be cancelled - though I’m not sure what effect it’d have if a one way costs more.

We often do two crossings so we use both outbound and return. On one ways, we have found weird less expensive one ways involving codeshares - on OTA sites, and of course we have used lots of awards. (We’ve probably earned about 10M award miles between the two of us, and we have done AAnytime awards - the DFW-KEF a few months ago were, but the alternative of $20k for both was always a nonstarter).

But you should be able to find a pair of award seats to LON - even if you spend a couple of days in London, there’s lots to see, do and eat.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
I do this at least a couple of times a year. Sometimes I book a round trip beginninin in Europe in April, return in November. This year we used miles to LIS, from LIS and to KEF. I’m pretty sure there will be award seating released between now and September. That’s shoulder season to boot.

Where are you flying from and to?
yes. If you want JFK ir ORD to LHR then even in September there is quite likely to be some award space on an AA flight, if you are EXP or CK and flexible on day. Looking for 2 may be more difficult. If you are looking for LAX or DFW then the likelihood goes down.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:41 am

I have a $500 transportation voucher from AA for giving up my seat from this past Friday. I've searched the internet and some say I can use part of it, and the remaining balance will be issued as another voucher that is valid for another year from the date I used the voucher.

What I'm looking for is an all encompassing FAQ etc for these vouchers. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kf2k3
I have a $500 transportation voucher from AA for giving up my seat from this past Friday. I've searched the internet and some say I can use part of it, and the remaining balance will be issued as another voucher that is valid for another year from the date I used the voucher.

What I'm looking for is an all encompassing FAQ etc for these vouchers. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:28 am

Hopefully I did not ask this before. But family leaving PHX on AA F to ORD with an onward flight on separate ticket from ORD to MAD on IB C. Time between flights is
six hours, family has no status. Question : Will they be able to check their luggage all the way through from PHX to MAD? How is the terminal situation at ORD? All
airside without additional security?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Hopefully I did not ask this before. But family leaving PHX on AA F to ORD with an onward flight on separate ticket from ORD to MAD on IB C. Time between flights is
six hours, family has no status. Question : Will they be able to check their luggage all the way through from PHX to MAD? How is the terminal situation at ORD? All
Unfortunately, AA's policy is that it will not through check luggage on separate tickets with separate PNRs (separate tickets on the same PNR, however, is fine). IB departs from T3 at ORD, the same terminal in which AA operates, so no terminal transfer or additional security needed. However, if checking luggage and AA does not through check, they will have to pick up their luggage in ORD, check it in with IB, and reclear security.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
AA will not check bags through on separate tickets. So once arriving at ORD they will have to go landside, claim their bags, check in again with IB, then clear security again. I'm guessing the IB check-in will only be open about 3 hrs before the flight, so with a 6 hr connection they will probably have some time to kill landside, unfortunately.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Unfortunately, AA's policy is that it will not through check luggage on separate tickets with separate PNRs (separate tickets on the same PNR, however, is fine). IB departs from T3 at ORD, the same terminal in which AA operates, so no terminal transfer or additional security needed. However, if checking luggage and AA does not through check, they will have to pick up their luggage in ORD, check it in with IB, and reclear security.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA will not check bags through on separate tickets. So once arriving at ORD they will have to go landside, claim their bags, check in again with IB, then clear security again. I'm guessing the IB check-in will only be open about 3 hrs before the flight, so with a 6 hr connection they will probably have some time to kill landside, unfortunately.
Thanks. The family will not like this news as they do have luggage. No lounge access for 6 hrs and TSA again, as if once isn't bad enough. But no options available. They'll survive. Thanks again for responding on this Christmas day. Happy Holidays.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Thanks. The family will not like this news as they do have luggage. No lounge access for 6 hrs and TSA again, as if once isn't bad enough. But no options available. They'll survive. Thanks again for responding on this Christmas day. Happy Holidays.
There isn't a whole lot to do land side but one thought would be to walk over to the Hilton which has a bar and a restaurant as well as a health club. It probably isn't worth seeing if they can get a day room but that would be a possibility. Perhaps their first leg will suffer just the right amount of delay
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:30 am

We have AA flight ord-san tomorrow in 23 and half hours from now but I still don't see the " check in" option and AA site is not allowing to assign seats.

We are 4, 2 couple, an autistic minor child and a senior citizen. 3 of us have TSA precheck except for the senior. Do you think I am hit with SSSS?
If yes, we will make sure the senior get wheel chair assistance as she needs that and I will have hang bags carried by my wife. Hope only I am hit with SSSS. not them. I used to get SSSS when returning from international trip. I applied for , got redress number and I always enter it. Hope it is not SSSS that is causing us to not be able to "check in" or get seatings.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
If you think that it might be you that has an SSSS check in issue, see if anyone else in your party can check in without checking you in. If you can get decent seats for 3/4 that is better than being scattered across the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.