Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: N/A
Any advice on how to waive a change fee for AA? I do have a schedule change of 15 minutes but I'm trying to change the return destination.

Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBG89
Any advice on how to waive a change fee for AA? I do have a schedule change of 15 minutes but I'm trying to change the return destination.
15 minutes is not enough to get a free change to your ticket
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JBG89

Thanks!
Two hours, yes. Fifteen minutes, not going to happen, unfortunately.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:03 pm

Question on award change fees - I currently have an award flight booked for 2 people. The second person can no longer make it. Can I change the name on the second ticket or transfer to someone else without cancellation fees?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by slowreactor
Question on award change fees - I currently have an award flight booked for 2 people. The second person can no longer make it. Can I change the name on the second ticket or transfer to someone else without cancellation fees?
No. But if there is a major schedule change between now and your departure date, you can re-deposit the miles associated with the second ticket at no charge. However, here's no guarantee that the award seat will go back into award inventory immediately -- or ever.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
I booked a flight yesterday and used miles to upgrade. They were able to process the upgrade for the return which was available but could not put me on the waitlist for the outbound flight until it was ticketed. The agent said she would make a note and put me on the list after it was ticketed. I received a voicemail from her today saying that she needed the expiration and security code for the card. I called back and spoke to a different agent and he took the information and said it was done. When I log into the flight I don't see any indication that I am waitlisted.

My question is how can I tell whether I have an upgrade pending on the AA site? I'm much more familiar with how to view this on Delta's site.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:02 am

I booked award travel and see AA's website offers Mileage Multiplier for it. Does purchasing miles using Mileage Multiplier work with award travel flights?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by pcraw
I booked award travel and see AA's website offers Mileage Multiplier for it. Does purchasing miles using Mileage Multiplier work with award travel flights?
It works, iirc, but it’s really dreadful value. Full price as purchasing, minus the fee. AA offers better deals for purchasing miles regularly.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by KKinLA
I booked a flight yesterday and used miles to upgrade. They were able to process the upgrade for the return which was available but could not put me on the waitlist for the outbound flight until it was ticketed. The agent said she would make a note and put me on the list after it was ticketed. I received a voicemail from her today saying that she needed the expiration and security code for the card. I called back and spoke to a different agent and he took the information and said it was done. When I log into the flight I don't see any indication that I am waitlisted.

My question is how can I tell whether I have an upgrade pending on the AA site? I'm much more familiar with how to view this on Delta's site.
Unfortunately, I do not think that AA's site specifically tells you you have a mileage upgrade pending. When it comes down to four hours before the flight, if it is still pending you should be able to see the upgrade list on the AA app.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:56 pm

Hi,
How to change/check Iberia Seat?
Im in the middle of an AA award ticket and my last flight on Dec 30th will be on Iberia from MAD to DUB.
I cant remember if i was able to select a seat at time of booking but AA tells me i need to go to iberia but their site doesnt recognise booking code.
Can i check if ive a seat assigned? its in economy, id like to see if i have a choice if possible instead of doing it in US at check in when i start my trip back.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
Originally Posted by MathMusic
Unfortunately, I do not think that AA's site specifically tells you you have a mileage upgrade pending. When it comes down to four hours before the flight, if it is still pending you should be able to see the upgrade list on the AA app.
Thanks for the response. That seems strange that there is no way to verify you are on the list
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MathMusic
If you look at your booking under upgrades, it says confirmedp for those that have been done and requested for those that are waitlisted. It is easy on AA app.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:38 am

AA partner award space on phone/App only

Not sure if newbie question or not but Happy Friday! I know the proper locations in searching for AA partner award space to book with AA miles (I.e. say using British Airways EC actual website to find Cathay space) but how does one find Cathay space if only using your phone/Apps? Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by SLINKYTRAVEL
Not sure if newbie question or not but Happy Friday! I know the proper locations in searching for AA partner award space to book with AA miles (I.e. say using British Airways EC actual website to find Cathay space) but how does one find Cathay space if only using your phone/Apps? Thanks!
As it states in the Wikipost of HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, CX award space doesn’t show up on AA aa.com (or the app), so you either must use alternate sites like BAEC or call.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
As it states in the Wikipost of HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, CX award space doesn’t show up on AA aa.com (or the app), so you either must use alternate sites like BAEC or call.
understood. Thanks for the response. What I was really was looking for is for phone only. Like are you able to search award space on any other OneWorld app for phone only?
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.