Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by fullflaps
Does AA not have any Business MileSaver availability to Europe in September? I'm trying to take my wife to Switzerland in Business Class. I'm really willing to go through any US gateway city to most European gateways (will just take train or cheap euro carrier from there to ZHR) but AA is forcing the BA nonsense with the $$$$ fuel surcharge fees for premium cabins. All the AA flights are requiring AAnytime mile rates.
It’s fallacious to believe AA actually releases all the MileSAAver seats 331 days out. They may or may not release seats at D-331, and seats may (or may not) be dribbled into the system as Revenue Management algorithms determine predicted sales, etc.

Don’t forget partners, such as IB via MAD or ZRH, etc. (Some of us pay for ExpertFlyer and set alerts, but assiduous searching using all airlines - or better, the BA BAEC pages - can reveal alternatives.)
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by fullflaps
Does AA not have any Business MileSaver availability to Europe in September? I'm trying to take my wife to Switzerland in Business Class. I'm really willing to go through any US gateway city to most European gateways (will just take train or cheap euro carrier from there to ZHR) but AA is forcing the BA nonsense with the $$$$ fuel surcharge fees for premium cabins. All the AA flights are requiring AAnytime mile rates.
September is still eons away and not exactly high season to Europe, so you should be able to find something if you're flexible on dates. You're looking way too early, just keep an eye on it over the next 10 months.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:06 am

Thank you kindly. Carrier is irrelevant, it is based on the booking site chosen. I have many more miles with AA, but sometimes want to book close-in award.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:36 pm

Flying from LHR - DFW on the 17th (Monday) in Prem Eco (P) and cannot select a seat. AA Reservations have told me the flight is full and they have no seats to assign to me, and that I will have to have one assigned at the gate. Does this mean I will get punted back into Y? Is this a standard business practice? I thought carriers were not allowed to oversell within Europe? Only option reservations gave me was to spend $2400 on an upgrade to J.

For what its worth, I have Silver BA status and this is a revenue ticket. I started flying with OW/BA 2 months ago and in the process been upgraded a few times on NA internal AA flights.

If I were to be downgraded, what are my rights? Can I just ask them to move me to another flight/carrier (Say BA?)?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BlueRedGreen Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by BlueRedGreen
Flying from LHR - DFW on the 17th (Monday) in Prem Eco (P) and cannot select a seat. AA Reservations have told me the flight is full and they have no seats to assign to me, and that I will have to have one assigned at the gate. Does this mean I will get punted back into Y? Is this a standard business practice? I thought carriers were not allowed to oversell within Europe? Only option reservations gave me was to spend $2400 on an upgrade to J.

For what its worth, I have Silver BA status and this is a revenue ticket. I started flying with OW/BA 2 months ago and in the process been upgraded a few times on NA internal AA flights.

If I were to be downgraded, what are my rights? Can I just ask them to move me to another flight/carrier (Say BA?)?
As you have posted in the AA forum we assume its an AA marketed/operated flight.

No restriction on airlines flying from EU to over book or over sell. Flying from EC261/2004 comes into play, so that tempers their actions.
If you are downgraded you will get compensation as EC261/2004.

Not unusual to be allocated a seat at check-in. Going to the airport early may help. If AA have sold more seats than the total number of seats on that aircraft only AA knows (as check in). Due to upcoming holiday season a lot of people are flying, but less people flying for work/business.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 15, 2018 at 2:07 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
BlueRedGreen Welcome to FT

As you have posted in the AA forum we assume its an AA marketed/operated flight.

No restriction on airlines flying from EU to over book or over sell. Flying from EC261/2004 comes into play, so that tempers their actions.
If you are downgraded you will get compensation as EC261/2004.

Not unusual to be allocated a seat at check-in. Going to the airport early may help. If AA have sold more seats than the total number of seats on that aircraft only AA knows (as check in). Due to upcoming holiday season a lot of people are flying, but less people flying for work/business.
Ah yes, AA Marketed and Operated.

My itinerary starts in DUB in the morning, so hopefully they'll assign a seat there. The DUB-LHR is AA marketed but BA operated so not sure how much they will be able to do...

I have been dreading this next week worth of travel given the holiday seasons. Fully expect 7 oversold flights!

Didnt know about the EU overselling thing though - thanks for the heads up!
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JDiver
It’s fallacious to believe AA actually releases all the MileSAAver seats 331 days out. They may or may not release seats at D-331, and seats may (or may not) be dribbled into the system as Revenue Management algorithms determine predicted sales, etc.

Don’t forget partners, such as IB via MAD or ZRH, etc. (Some of us pay for ExpertFlyer and set alerts, but assiduous searching using all airlines - or better, the BA BAEC pages - can reveal alternatives.)
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
September is still eons away and not exactly high season to Europe, so you should be able to find something if you're flexible on dates. You're looking way too early, just keep an eye on it over the next 10 months.
Thanks gents, I will keep searching every few weeks to see what opens up. The MAD routes on IB were forcing Y even though I selected Business/First.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Newly-minted Gold, quick question on 500-mile upgrades. If I were to request an upgrade on a flight that requires stickers (DCA-MCI for example), when do I actually need to pay for the stickers? Before I put my request in? Or can I pay at check in if I somehow manage to clear?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iksneznem
Newly-minted Gold, quick question on 500-mile upgrades. If I were to request an upgrade on a flight that requires stickers (DCA-MCI for example), when do I actually need to pay for the stickers? Before I put my request in? Or can I pay at check in if I somehow manage to clear?
You don't have to have the stickers to list for an upgrade and you can pay for them later.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I'm going to make Exec Plat on my current flight. Do I need to have anything happen on my current reservations to make sure I get all my benefits on those flight? Such as I have a few award flights coming up I'd like to make sure I get listed for an upgrade for. Do I need to call into the executive plat desk and get those reservations updated?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by adunker
I'm going to make Exec Plat on my current flight. Do I need to have anything happen on my current reservations to make sure I get all my benefits on those flight? Such as I have a few award flights coming up I'd like to make sure I get listed for an upgrade for. Do I need to call into the executive plat desk and get those reservations updated?
Yes, as soon as your EXP status hits call the EXP desk and have them refresh your AAdvantage number in all your existing reservations.
JDiver and adunker like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver

call the EXP desk. AA used to load early but nowadays it is often much later.

Last edited by flyertalker54234; Dec 17, 2018 at 10:44 am Reason: Typo
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
I'm positive this has been asked before but I couldn't find the answer with some searching, so I figured I'd ask here.

I'm new to flying AA and was wondering what their policy is for changing the FF on a reservation. I'm flying from SFO-LAX-HND and I wanted to credit the SFO-LAX flight to AA and the LAX-HND flight to AS.

Obviously one way to do this would be to remove the FF from the reservation entirely and then retroactively credit the segments to the respective programs. I'm guessing another way would be to set my AS number for the entire reservation and then retro-credit the first segment to AA (since it doesn't earn on AS).
However, I also know that some airlines (United, for instance) allow you to change your FF basically whenever, and the FF on the reservation when the flight is flown is typically what gets credited. On the other hand, I've been burned before when I assumed Delta had the same policy only to find out that they don't let you change the number once travel has begun.

I also had another question about having separate FFs for benefits vs mileage earning. Is this something AA allows?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rill2503456
I'm positive this has been asked before but I couldn't find the answer with some searching, so I figured I'd ask here.

I'm new to flying AA and was wondering what their policy is for changing the FF on a reservation. I'm flying from SFO-LAX-HND and I wanted to credit the SFO-LAX flight to AA and the LAX-HND flight to AS.

Obviously one way to do this would be to remove the FF from the reservation entirely and then retroactively credit the segments to the respective programs. I'm guessing another way would be to set my AS number for the entire reservation and then retro-credit the first segment to AA (since it doesn't earn on AS).
However, I also know that some airlines (United, for instance) allow you to change your FF basically whenever, and the FF on the reservation when the flight is flown is typically what gets credited. On the other hand, I've been burned before when I assumed Delta had the same policy only to find out that they don't let you change the number once travel has begun.

I also had another question about having separate FFs for benefits vs mileage earning. Is this something AA allows?
Dedicated thread on changing FFN--->Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)
Frpm the wiki
<snip>
NOTE: If switching from AAdvantage to another scheme's FFN, please be aware: Benefitting from a privilege granted for your AAdvantage status and changing your FFN to earn on another airline is generally prohibited by AAdvantage Terms and Conditions. Doing so might risk that benefit (e.g. upgrade)
<snip>.
AA do not like it. Do you have status? Getting any status benefits? Anyway changing the ffn may not stick.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Dedicated thread on changing FFN--->Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)

AA do not like it. Do you have status? Getting any status benefits? Anyway changing the ffn may not stick.
Awesome, thanks for the link, that is just what I needed! Yeah, I do have status, which I was using for MCE seats, but I'm not really trying to get upgraded on the flight. I'll probably try giving them a call and trying again at the airport if I have trouble. I guess theoretically I could lose the MCE seat, but hopefully that won't happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.