Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SLINKYTRAVEL
Quick newbie question - when does the AA 10% award booking rebate come back to your account (for the AA Citi or Barclays aviator cards) ? Immediately upon booking or after the actual redemption takes place (after the actual flight)? TYIA!!!
My recent experience is that the 10% will be credited after the redemption (i.e., you need the original number of points in your account), but the credit is almost immediate. In other words, the debit of points occurs first, then the 10% credit back, but the credit back happens pretty much immediately after the debit.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SLINKYTRAVEL
Quick newbie question - when does the AA 10% award booking rebate come back to your account (for the AA Citi or Barclays aviator cards) ? Immediately upon booking or after the actual redemption takes place (after the actual flight)? TYIA!!!
The credit is immediate and is part of the same transaction as when the miles are pulled from your account. Say you booked an award that was 20k miles, you would see a -20k award, +2k bonus, for total of -18k miles.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:07 pm

One more question...trying to understand any status (particularly platinum) in regards to the 60% elite mileage bonus. Do the miles earned from this elite bonus count towards EQMs? I do a flight that is 1800 miles. Will 1800 be added to my EQMs? Or will 2880 (1800*.6+1800) miles be added?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by JustDandy
One more question...trying to understand any status (particularly platinum) in regards to the 60% elite mileage bonus. Do the miles earned from this elite bonus count towards EQMs? I do a flight that is 1800 miles. Will 1800 be added to my EQMs? Or will 2880 (1800*.6+1800) miles be added?
EQMs are earned based on fare class. if you are flying regular economy you will earn 100% of miles flown. If you are in business you will earn 200-300% EQMs.
elite mileage bonus is for award miles not EQMs.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:25 pm

I'm trying to keep my AA status and need to earn 600 EQDs and 14,000 EQMs. I'm planning on flying next weekend to Australia/New Zealand and coming back home to ORD before the new year. I'm seeing flights for around $760 rt booking thru Qantas on google flights. To make sure I earn enough EQDs and EQMs, I should be filtering on Google Flights for "American Airlines only"? Any suggestions?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kingjamesharden
I'm trying to keep my AA status and need to earn 600 EQDs and 14,000 EQMs. I'm planning on flying next weekend to Australia/New Zealand and coming back home to ORD before the new year. I'm seeing flights for around $760 rt booking thru Qantas on google flights. To make sure I earn enough EQDs and EQMs, I should be filtering on Google Flights for "American Airlines only"? Any suggestions?
Filter by OneWorld and then just make sure the fare class you book into will fill the EQD's and EQM's, and then fly it and credit it to your AA number.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by kingjamesharden
Welcome to FlyerTalk kingjamesharden!

If you book Qantas, make sure that the fare will earn enough EQMs and EQDs for you:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/qantas.jsp

If you end up with that lowest fare bucket, you'd earn 50% EQM per mile flown...and just 5% of miles flown would be your EQD.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: N/A
As an AA EXP - may i standby a later flight? e.g. book a 9am return but standby a 4pm flight?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JBG89
As an AA EXP - may i standby a later flight? e.g. book a 9am return but standby a 4pm flight?
Yes, you can standby for a later flight. EXPs are also allowed to confirm a change to a later flight (24 hours before that later flight) if the applicable inventory is available. Unless E inventory is unavailable and I really didn't have to be somewhere, I would try to confirm, rather than just standby for, a later flight.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Yes, you can standby for a later flight. EXPs are also allowed to confirm a change to a later flight (24 hours before that later flight) if the applicable inventory is available. Unless E inventory is unavailable and I really didn't have to be somewhere, I would try to confirm, rather than just standby for, a later flight.
yes you can. All you need to do is to login to the aa app and put yourself on a standby list BEFORE your original flight departs but less than 24 hours of the flight you want to take.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:39 pm

My wife and I have DSM>ORD (Eagle) on one ticket booked, and then on a separate ticket, departing 4.5 hrs later, we have ORD>SEZ (QR). Is there any way to call reservations and get the two reservations connected, in case of any weather or mechanical issues on the DSM>ORD flight? both are award tickets, DSM>ORD booked via AS miles, and ORD>SEZ booked via AA miles.

We have the same situation on the return but a longer layover, and the ORD>DSM leg is actually a paid ticket rather than an award.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by shimps1
My wife and I have DSM>ORD (Eagle) on one ticket booked, and then on a separate ticket, departing 4.5 hrs later, we have ORD>SEZ (QR). Is there any way to call reservations and get the two reservations connected, in case of any weather or mechanical issues on the DSM>ORD flight? both are award tickets, DSM>ORD booked via AS miles, and ORD>SEZ booked via AA miles.

We have the same situation on the return but a longer layover, and the ORD>DSM leg is actually a paid ticket rather than an award.
AA will protect you even on separate tickets. If there is misconnect AA will rebook you to final destination
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by gateH15

AA will protect you even on separate tickets. If there is misconnect AA will rebook you to final destination
Great. Do I need to call them to connect the bookings or is it automatic?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:38 am

Great. Do I need to call them to connect the bookings or is it automatic?
you can call and they will make notes on both PNRs. But it is not possible to combine PNRs.
Even if you don’t call they will still help you at the airport if IRROPS happen
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Will you be checking bags on this trip? While AA does protect on separate AA-oneworld tickets in the event of IRROPS, AA will not normally through-check baggage on separate tickets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.