Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tikchik
Domestic Upgrade question;

If I get a sticker/complimentary upgrade, will my EQM be higher than if sitting in coach w/o upgrade?

International Upgrade question;

If I book coach, but upgrade with miles + Copay, will my EQM be higher than original coach ticket? What about using or being gifted a SWU?

Omni question;

What is it and what are the prerequisites for access? My guess is an Off Topic section, but would like confirmation.

Glad this is a flame free zone
When you upgrade (as long as you're not just paying the fare difference), you always earn miles based on the class of service you originally purchase, not the class of service you upgrade into.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tikchik
Domestic Upgrade question;

If I get a sticker/complimentary upgrade, will my EQM be higher than if sitting in coach w/o upgrade?

International Upgrade question;

If I book coach, but upgrade with miles + Copay, will my EQM be higher than original coach ticket? What about using or being gifted a SWU?

Omni question;

What is it and what are the prerequisites for access? My guess is an Off Topic section, but would like confirmation.

Glad this is a flame free zone
As has been stated, on AA you earn on the fare basis you purchase.

Prerequisite for access to OMNI? This thread in the Technical Support and Feedback has the answer: Unable to access OMNI [requires 180 days/180 posts].
tikchik likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:29 pm

Award miles reinstatement charge question/confirmation:

Hi all

I'm currently EXP, but will drop to platinum pro on 1 Feb 2019. I have booked an award trip for Jun 2019.

If for some reason I need to cancel that trip on/after 1 Feb 2019, is it correct to assume that I will need to pay the $150 reinstatement charge? That is, do I pay whatever fees which are relevant to my status at the time of the request, rather than based on my status at the time of booking???

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tsergori
Award miles reinstatement charge question/confirmation:

Hi all

I'm currently EXP, but will drop to platinum pro on 1 Feb 2019. I have booked an award trip for Jun 2019.

If for some reason I need to cancel that trip on/after 1 Feb 2019, is it correct to assume that I will need to pay the $150 reinstatement charge? That is, do I pay whatever fees which are relevant to my status at the time of the request, rather than based on my status at the time of booking???

Thanks in advance
Yep, status at the time of request is all that matters, not the status at booking.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:56 pm

Thanks JJeffery

Looks like I'll set myself a reminder in the calendar for late Jan
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:57 pm

Hey guys, new to the forum here so please forgive me if I am violating a rule here but I have a question about delayed cancelled flights and compensation. I am currently doing a status challenge with AA. Had a flight booked on UA ORD->DCA, cancelled, called united and they booked me on an AA flight through TYR, took the first leg and then TYR->DCA was delayed overnight. Was told it was due to weather, booked my hotel and intended to get Chase to reimburse me. A month later AA delayed another of my flights overnight after two hours on the runway. Took a cab home and then back again in the morning again hoping to get this reimbursed by chase. Emailed AA for documentation for both of these claims and low and behold it tells me first was mechanical issues and second was crew hours and they gave me 10,000 miles as good will with the notification. My question is, will I be able to get anything out of them for the expenses incurred by the overnight delay?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newjack
Hey guys, new to the forum here so please forgive me if I am violating a rule here but I have a question about delayed cancelled flights and compensation. I am currently doing a status challenge with AA. Had a flight booked on UA ORD->DCA, cancelled, called united and they booked me on an AA flight through TYR, took the first leg and then TYR->DCA was delayed overnight. Was told it was due to weather, booked my hotel and intended to get Chase to reimburse me. A month later AA delayed another of my flights overnight after two hours on the runway. Took a cab home and then back again in the morning again hoping to get this reimbursed by chase. Emailed AA for documentation for both of these claims and low and behold it tells me first was mechanical issues and second was crew hours and they gave me 10,000 miles as good will with the notification. My question is, will I be able to get anything out of them for the expenses incurred by the overnight delay?
If your overnight was in fact caused by a mechanical problem then AA will reimburse you for (some of) the hotel. You should be able to reply to the email with a scanned copy of your hotel receipt and ask for reimbursement. Be prepared through, unless you booked a really cheap room, AA will typically only pay up to a certain amount per night depending on the city, so you most likely will not get all of it back.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
NYC to SFO in June - Business Class worth the extra miles?

Hi,

Planning an SFO-CHI-NYC trip for June. Got everything covered but the return flight to SFO.
My options, based on miles: Alaska, which I could either fly to SFO, or to LAX, then home to STS (I live 5 minutes from STS). Delta no good because of flight times, lack of non-stops. No UA miles. Plenty of Avios, but no flights to use them on, other than the CHI-NYC trip.
Or, what I'm leaning toward - American to SFO.
Is it worth the extra miles - 52k or 62k per person - to fly in Business class? Should be lie-flat seats on that flight, unless they change the plane before then.
1st class is much more, and really doesn't seem that much better.
I don't want regular economy, but when I checked, upgrade to premium is only $34/ticket more.
If it's not worth the extra miles, I might just take Alaska. I know their 1st class is not worth it, but premium economy would be okay, I suppose.

Thank you.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If your overnight was in fact caused by a mechanical problem then AA will reimburse you for (some of) the hotel. You should be able to reply to the email with a scanned copy of your hotel receipt and ask for reimbursement. Be prepared through, unless you booked a really cheap room, AA will typically only pay up to a certain amount per night depending on the city, so you most likely will not get all of it back.
Chase will only reimburse "in excess of any ... reimbursement from the common carrier such as airline..."

In other words, you can't double-dip. So if you think the room is more than AA would pay, it's probably simpler to just file only with Chase. If for some reason Chase won't pay, then go back and try with AA.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia
I'm noticing what appears to be a pricing discrepancy between the U.S. and Italian versions of aa.com. I am currently in Rome. I logged on to aa.com, and it directed me automatically to the Italian version of the site. I picked my flights (which originate in Italy), was quoted a price in euros, and was trying to buy. I couldn't find a way to login to my profile using the Italian site, and I couldn't remember my TSA #, which is saved in my profile. So I managed to get to the U.S. site, logged in, and proceeded. The price in dollars, after using the current euro to dollar exchange rate available on Google, was almost $200 more. So I noted down my TSA #, went back to the Italian site and bought the ticket. Is this normal? I can't imagine that google would be off by much on the exchange rate. Is there any disadvantage to buying AA tickets on a non-U.S. version of aa.com?

Last edited by goldmarch; Oct 18, 2018 at 7:22 pm Reason: fixing typos
Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Booked a mileage run

11/9 FRA - DFW
11/10 DFW - AUS 7am arriving 8am
11/11 AUS - DFW 6am arriving 7am, then DFW - FRA 4pm from DFW

time approximative

one quick question: can I board a flight AUS - DFW on 11/10 by leveraging the 24 hour same day flight change policy, or not? I just want to stay 2 nights at DFW rather than 1 night at AUS and 1 night at DFW. I will still be taking the flight from DFW - FRA on 11/11. I am Exe Platinum if this helps?

Thanks for the insights!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:24 pm
amm

Originally Posted by Ramonmv
Hi,

Planning an SFO-CHI-NYC trip for June. Got everything covered but the return flight to SFO.
My options, based on miles: Alaska, which I could either fly to SFO, or to LAX, then home to STS (I live 5 minutes from STS). Delta no good because of flight times, lack of non-stops. No UA miles. Plenty of Avios, but no flights to use them on, other than the CHI-NYC trip.
Is it worth the extra miles - 52k or 62k per person - to fly in Business class? Should be lie-flat seats on that flight, unless they change the plane before then.
I don't want regular economy, but when I checked, upgrade to premium is only $34/ticket more.
If it's not worth the extra miles, I might just take Alaska. I know their 1st class is not worth it, but premium economy would be okay, I suppose.

Thank you.
I’d vote yes to biz on AA. Beyond the lie flat seats (and don’t worry about a potential equipment change - the A321T will be on that route), you’d also get access to American’s Flagship Lounge at JFK on your way out which is a step above normal airport lounges and worth getting to the airport a little early imo.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Tommys888
Booked a mileage run

11/9 FRA - DFW
11/10 DFW - AUS 7am arriving 8am
11/11 AUS - DFW 6am arriving 7am, then DFW - FRA 4pm from DFW

time approximative

one quick question: can I board a flight AUS - DFW on 11/10 by leveraging the 24 hour same day flight change policy, or not? I just want to stay 2 nights at DFW rather than 1 night at AUS and 1 night at DFW. I will still be taking the flight from DFW - FRA on 11/11. I am Exe Platinum if this helps?

Thanks for the insights!
SDFC has to be on the same calendar day. You can't SDFC onto a flight on a different calendar day, even though it may be within 24 hours of your original flight. The 24-hour part of the policy is the rule that you can confirm a change within 24 hours of the new flight that you want.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Ramonmv
Hi,

Thank you.
Originally Posted by amm

I’d vote yes to biz on AA. Beyond the lie flat seats (and don’t worry about a potential equipment change - the A321T will be on that route), you’d also get access to American’s Flagship Lounge at JFK on your way out which is a step above normal airport lounges and worth getting to the airport a little early imo.
I'm not sure exactly what specific options you're weighing—it sounds like you are weighing various airlines, classes of service, and points/cash, but I'm not sure what the combinations are. But here are some general thoughts based on what I can glean.
- AA J will be lie-flat in a 2-2 configuration, and you will have access to the Flagship lounge at JFK.
- AA F is in a 1-1 configuration and has much more privacy. In addition to the Flagship lounge, you will have access to Flagship First Dining. If you are going through JFK in the late afternoon (i.e., rush hour), the Flagship lounge is generally packed, while FFD will be a calm haven where you can enjoy a full sit-down meal. In my view, the food at the JFK FFD is actually pretty good. (LAX, on the other hand, is borderline inedible.) On-board catering in F is substantially similar to J catering.
- As far as I know, there is no premium economy option between JFK and SFO. There are economy seats with more legroom (which Alaska calls Premium Class), but there is not a true premium economy product.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:13 am

I booked AA2455, LAX to BOS, where the aircraft shows as "32B" on the itinerary. Seatguru shows this as an A321T, but the seatmap on AA.com suggests otherwise (looks like an A321). We are in 2A and 2C; I'm hoping to catch a couple of hours sleep in a lie-flat seat, but what I see pictured on AA.com doesn't look lie-flat. Clue me in? Am I correct that this is an A321, not a "T"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.