Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP
Seat selection at the time of checking in online

I've been looking at seat selection for an upcoming trip I have booked with AAdvantage miles. I've been able to select reasonable seats for most legs of my journey using the "Seat Selection" tool without any additional charges, but for one or two legs of my trip it would be really nice to have a window seat. I'm reluctant to shell out an additional $93 per leg of my trip for this privilege, however.

My question is: when on-line check-in opens up twenty-four hours before flight time, do the same charges apply to reserving a window seat? Or can they then be booked on the basis of availability without extra fees?

Thanks to anyone who can provide guidance on this issue! ^
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by cambridge_mass
I've been looking at seat selection for an upcoming trip I have booked with AAdvantage miles. I've been able to select reasonable seats for most legs of my journey using the "Seat Selection" tool without any additional charges, but for one or two legs of my trip it would be really nice to have a window seat. I'm reluctant to shell out an additional $93 per leg of my trip for this privilege, however.

My question is: when on-line check-in opens up twenty-four hours before flight time, do the same charges apply to reserving a window seat? Or can they then be booked on the basis of availability without extra fees?

Thanks to anyone who can provide guidance on this issue! ^
Where are you flying? If it's domestic, Hawaii, or Caribbean, there is a really good chance that some seats will shake loose when elites get upgraded. I find the best time to check is at check-in or periodically 2 hours before departure, because there are many seats they hold for elites that they release closer to departure so just keep checking. You might also want to check expertflyer.com they have a free 5-day trial and you can setup alerts for specific seats you want.
cambridge_mass likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Where are you flying? If it's domestic, Hawaii, or Caribbean, there is a really good chance that some seats will shake loose when elites get upgraded. I find the best time to check is at check-in or periodically 2 hours before departure, because there are many seats they hold for elites that they release closer to departure so just keep checking. You might also want to check expertflyer.com they have a free 5-day trial and you can setup alerts for specific seats you want.
I’m making a transatlantic trip. Thanks for the information, this is very helpful!
AAdamE likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: DL LOL, Mosaic, UAL Silver, MR Titanium
I'm looking to book BOS-ZRH as A/J tickets and want to maximize my EQM. Naturally, almost all routes pass through LHR and thus are operated by BA. In order to maximize my EQM, should I be booking this route direct through AA or via BA instead?

I'm hoping the newbie thread is the right place to ask. Came across the guide from 2017 (which I'm not allowed to link to yet) but it looks like that's out of date as it shows the wrong EQM rates for native AA fares.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: BA
I booked a flight on AA.com that cost $200.20 using a $200 gift card. Ticket was pending then went ticketed. I didn't know what to do about the $0.20 but since the ticket issued it seems they didn't care about the $0.20? Or are they going to cancel the ticket because the $0.20 wasn't paid? lol
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CptnInc
I'm looking to book BOS-ZRH as A/J tickets and want to maximize my EQM. Naturally, almost all routes pass through LHR and thus are operated by BA. In order to maximize my EQM, should I be booking this route direct through AA or via BA instead?

I'm hoping the newbie thread is the right place to ask. Came across the guide from 2017 (which I'm not allowed to link to yet) but it looks like that's out of date as it shows the wrong EQM rates for native AA fares.
Booking via BA as BA will get you a maximum of 1.5 EQM per mile flown vs 2:1 on AA A - I etc. flights (3:0 if full F and J).

Book AA and either book AA nonstop to ZRH (flying to your ZRH departure connecting airport, perhaps finding a trip with multiple segments), or to LHR using BA with an AA codeshare / AA marketed flight. (Remember BA intra-Europe “Club Europe” is 30” pitch in coach seats with a middle empty, and you’ll have the LHR T-3 to T-5 connection; other reasons to book AA into Zurich.)
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Booking via BA as BA will get you a maximum of 1.5 EQM per mile flown vs 2:1 on AA A - I etc. flights (3:0 if full F and J).

Book AA and either book AA nonstop to ZRH (flying to your ZRH departure connecting airport, perhaps finding a trip with multiple segments), or to LHR using BA with an AA codeshare / AA marketed flight. (Remember BA intra-Europe “Club Europe” is 30” pitch in coach seats with a middle empty, and you’ll have the LHR T-3 to T-5 connection; other reasons to book AA into Zurich.)
Hmmm. Interesting. When I do test bookings on AA, I'm seeing 1.5 EQM per mile for the BA operated legs. I also don't see any AA-operated flights to LHR from BOS - they all seem to be BA. Would be nice to avoid the T3->T5 transfer as you noted.

The estimates do seem to be coming in about 3-5k EQM lower than my BOS-PHL-LHR-AMS-LHR-ORD-BOS route earlier this year, where all of the international legs were BA-operated. Clearly, I'm missing something this time around.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Hmmm. Interesting. When I do test bookings on AA, I'm seeing 1.5 EQM per mile for the BA operated legs. I also don't see any AA-operated flights to LHR from BOS - they all seem to be BA. Would be nice to avoid the T3->T5 transfer as you noted.

The estimates do seem to be coming in about 3-5k EQM lower than my BOS-PHL-LHR-AMS-LHR-ORD-BOS route earlier this year, where all of the international legs were BA-operated. Clearly, I'm missing something this time around.
It doesn't matter who operates the flight, all that matters is who markets the flight. If you book say BOS-LHR-ZRH r/t that is operated all by BA but marketed by AA (AA flight numbers), you will earn according to the AA chart (most business class will earn 2x EQM per mile). But if you book a similar itinerary where the flights are both operated and marketed by BA (BA flight numbers), then those flights would earn according to the BA table, i.e. business at 1.5x EQM per mile.

If you really want to maximize EQM, in paid business class look for AA flight numbers whenever possible. If time isn't of the essence, see if you can piece together a creative routing, such as BOS-MIA-PHL-ZRH or something like that.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It doesn't matter who operates the flight, all that matters is who markets the flight. If you book say BOS-LHR-ZRH r/t that is operated all by BA but marketed by AA (AA flight numbers), you will earn according to the AA chart (most business class will earn 2x EQM per mile). But if you book a similar itinerary where the flights are both operated and marketed by BA (BA flight numbers), then those flights would earn according to the BA table, i.e. business at 1.5x EQM per mile.

If you really want to maximize EQM, in paid business class look for AA flight numbers whenever possible. If time isn't of the essence, see if you can piece together a creative routing, such as BOS-MIA-PHL-ZRH or something like that.
Ah, that's exactly what it is. My LHR-ZRH legs have been showing BA flight numbers. I'll go back again and try to find the AA numbered versions of those, if there are any.

I took a look at manually booking creative routing, and I guess AA doesn't let you do that any more. Oh well.

Thanks for the help!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Ah, that's exactly what it is. My LHR-ZRH legs have been showing BA flight numbers. I'll go back again and try to find the AA numbered versions of those, if there are any.

I took a look at manually booking creative routing, and I guess AA doesn't let you do that any more. Oh well.

Thanks for the help!
The multi-city booking at aa.com went to crap when they changed it, but you can still use Google Flights most of the time.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

Thanks for the help!
It doesn't even have to be creative. BOS-PHL-ZRH should be available all on AA metal/AA flight numbers.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Thanks for the help!
Why not book BOS-PHL- ZRH or the like? All AA, no LHR and AA EQM? You may have to increase the number of flights displayed on aa.com or start at Google Flights.

Mind you, when I search using aa.com, BOS-LHR-ZRH shows up first as AA marketed, BA operated flights.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 11, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:16 am

I ended up booking BOS-JFK-LHR-ZRH and ZRH-LHR-ORD-BOS with all flights AA-marketed. Came out to 21k EQM. Not too bad for mixing a vacation with a mileage run.

Thanks for the assistance.
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: aadvantage
Question HELP! Newbie Losing Gold

Hi everyone,
I'm pretty clueless about status programs and "accidentally" achieved Platinum on AA a few years ago because of a job I had. I learned the value of that when I had a flight in Italy canceled and received amazing service. I'm now down to Gold status (and have been for three years) and I'm ok with it, but I'm about to lose it. My husband and I are now retired and we travel only for leisure. We've got a few int'l trips planned for 2019 (Caribbean, UK, Tel Aviv) so I'd like to keep Gold if possible for the convenience it offers. I know it's not that great for those of you who have higher status, but for us, it's perfect. Really don't want to lose it.

Do you have any suggestions for keeping it? I called AA and asked to be put on a challenge and was told that I'd have to wait until I lose status to do it. The rep suggested I book a few first class tickets. That would cost about $2k minimum from what I can see - and if that's the case, isn't it better to wait, lose the status and be put on a challenge? Are there any cheap runs I can do first class that can get me where I need to be? I'm about halfway on EQM (11,830) and EQD (1486) with only 8 segments.

Thank you in advance for your expertise - I am so excited to have found this forum and wish I'd found it while I was flying for business!
Margo
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM,MARRIOTT Prem Plat Elite,HH Gold,HERTZ Prez Circle,SONNY's Lunch Card club
Question AA EXP Qualifying question

So I get the eSummary email from AAdvantage and I see that there is an anomaly. Any body get something similar.

This is from my eSummary email. Notice the check mark next to EQS. Am I reading it right? Thanks!
Does this mean I have qualified for EXP or is it a coding SNAFU?? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.