Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Ceres
I haven't pulled the trigger as I am trying to figure out if 3 hours is enough time to change airports from DCA to IAD at 9 pm in January on the outbound flight.

Any thoughts or keep looking for other options?
It should take about an hour by car to drive from DCA to IAD at 9 pm. Whether 3 hours is enough depends on whether you are checking bags (if you are then I personally wouldn't try it) and crucially, whether your inbound flight is on time.

Do not attempt this transfer by public transit. Metrorail is unreliable lately and service is usually reduced quite a bit after about 7 or 8 pm. aztimm quoted a post stating that a cab would be $50-60. I would expect this to be on the low end for Uber/etc. In a regular cab or if there is traffic expect to be closer to $75-90.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
I bought a ticket on AA, it is exEUR to USA and back. If I don't fly, can I ask for theTAXES AND CARRIER-IMPOSED FEES

???
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
I will be flying AUS-PHL-AMS and same routing on return. I'm AA PLT and flying on a business ticket. What are the best lounges I can get into in both PHL on the way out and AMS on the way back? I guess just a regular Admirals Club in PHL, given no Flagship Lounge yet? And which is better in AMS, the BA or the Aspire lounge?

Thanks,
--woodstock
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
I will be flying AUS-PHL-AMS and same routing on return. I'm AA PLT and flying on a business ticket. What are the best lounges I can get into in both PHL on the way out and AMS on the way back? I guess just a regular Admirals Club in PHL, given no Flagship Lounge yet? And which is better in AMS, the BA or the Aspire lounge?

Thanks,
--woodstock
The Admirals Club between B/C is spacious with nice views, a quiet zone, and is close to the food court. The one closer to where you're departing, A West (near Gate A15) , also has nice views and is spacious. I'm not a foody so the lack of FL dining doesn't bother me.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
I am a frequent BA traveller, less so AA. Flying business class LAX-LHR in October.

Please can someone confirm the carry-on baggage allowance?
1x standard bag + 1 personal item, as in other cabins?

Sorry for such a basic question but I could not find an answer int he AA baggage thread elsewhere on here

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by FlyingDentist
I am a frequent BA traveller, less so AA. Flying business class LAX-LHR in October.

Please can someone confirm the carry-on baggage allowance?
1x standard bag + 1 personal item, as in other cabins?

Sorry for such a basic question but I could not find an answer int he AA baggage thread elsewhere on here

Thanks in advance
yes that’s correct. And no problem on the basic question. That’s what this thread is for.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
Originally Posted by wrp96

yes that’s correct. And no problem on the basic question. That’s what this thread is for.
Thank you!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wetrat0
It should take about an hour by car to drive from DCA to IAD at 9 pm. Whether 3 hours is enough depends on whether you are checking bags (if you are then I personally wouldn't try it) and crucially, whether your inbound flight is on time.

Do not attempt this transfer by public transit. Metrorail is unreliable lately and service is usually reduced quite a bit after about 7 or 8 pm. aztimm quoted a post stating that a cab would be $50-60. I would expect this to be on the low end for Uber/etc. In a regular cab or if there is traffic expect to be closer to $75-90.

That was my fear too, inbound delay due to winter. I will find a different routing. It just won't be as cheap.

Thank you for the reply.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Ceres
That was my fear too, inbound delay due to winter. I will find a different routing. It just won't be as cheap.

Thank you for the reply.
I really wouldn't worry with 3 hours. All on one ticket you're protected, and AA can easily protect you over to their own metal flights to HKG should something go wrong.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Does anyone know how to link your AAdvantage number, or OneWorld status to British Airways? I booked a roundtrip JFK-LHR-CDG through American but only 2 flights are marketed as AA and only 1 is actually operated by AA. Trying to see if I can link my Oneworld Sapphire status to a British Airways account so we can select seats, etc.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Does anyone know how to link your AAdvantage number, or OneWorld status to British Airways? I booked a roundtrip JFK-LHR-CDG through American but only 2 flights are marketed as AA and only 1 is actually operated by AA. Trying to see if I can link my Oneworld Sapphire status to a British Airways account so we can select seats, etc.
You have to have your AA number on the booking. You can have an agent change it or use MMB on the Finnair web site with your BA booking code.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by MADPhil
You have to have your AA number on the booking. You can have an agent change it or use MMB on the Finnair web site with your BA booking code.
My AA number is on the booking. I'll try the MMB tool on the Finnair site. If that doesn't work I'll give AA a call.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:21 am

If a Business Class SAAver award opens up on a flight I have a economy saaver award for, I know I can upgrade without issue. But what if I have already completed OLCI, or even flew the first leg. Highly doubt a seat will become available (Thursday flight), but could I call AA and get rebooked into biz? I am flying into a hub for a TATL flight. The itinerary is only one way and I won't be checking a bag.

For example today's flight which leaves around 5pm, just opened up a biz award. At this point Thursday I would have already completed the first leg and be waiting for departure.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
My AA number is on the booking. I'll try the MMB tool on the Finnair site. If that doesn't work I'll give AA a call.
You should be able to select seats on the BA site, assuming you had the status when you booked. Otherwise it's remove the FF number and add it again. You will probably need to call BA rather than AA.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by bosflyer93
If a Business Class SAAver award opens up on a flight I have a economy saaver award for, I know I can upgrade without issue. But what if I have already completed OLCI, or even flew the first leg. Highly doubt a seat will become available (Thursday flight), but could I call AA and get rebooked into biz? I am flying into a hub for a TATL flight. The itinerary is only one way and I won't be checking a bag.

For example today's flight which leaves around 5pm, just opened up a biz award. At this point Thursday I would have already completed the first leg and be waiting for departure.
It still should be no problem even if you've already checked in, although you may have to HUCA to find a competent agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.