Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:28 pm

Thanks so much, MathMusic! That's a nice bonus.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:46 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
I have purchased tickets for a 60-year-old couple to take their first flight ever from CLT to SEA in F on an AA 321. I don't fly much either... my last flight on AA was around 1980 on a DC-10.

Anyway, will they be given blankets and pillows?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:32 pm

If I booked a flight using miles, can I still get upgraded due to being a Platinum on a flight less than 500 miles?

Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by azhunter18
If I booked a flight using miles, can I still get upgraded due to being a Platinum on a flight less than 500 miles?

Thanks!
No, upgrades on award tickets are only a CK/EXP benefit.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Maglev
I have purchased tickets for a 60-year-old couple to take their first flight ever from CLT to SEA in F on an AA 321. I don't fly much either... my last flight on AA was around 1980 on a DC-10.

Blankets, yes. Pillows, no.
Maglev likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:10 am

What is the chance (or policy) that AA releases another U class (business SAAver) on the PHL-ATH route late September? There are currently 3 seats available + 1 blocked (3 for sale, EF shows a 4th blocked). Assuming no one cancels their award flight booking, will AA release more SAAver inventory or just let them fly empty / upgrade someone from coach?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Maglev

No more blankets or pillows. If thy are flying in first they would get a blanket.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by wanderlust99
Just booked 5 milesaver tickets. Spouse is in the middle of a gold challenge and I was surprised to see his gold benefit of 50% off MCE applied to all of us on booking. Does it work the same way for checked bags? Will we all get one free bag or just him?

Thanks so much for all your your invaluable help!
Yes, when someone has elite status, up to 8 people on the same reservation get all of their benefits except for upgrades, which only applies to one companion. You would all get the free checked bag, priority check in, security, and boarding. Note this will only work if everyone is on the same reservation and booked together.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:48 am

Thanks, Adam. We are all ticketed together. Having the free bags will make it much easier to travel!

I have one other newbie question: When I was booking the milesaver tickets, I noticed that AA would also let us book flight between islands even though HA operates the flights. (I didn't do so at the time because the redemption rate was not good.) However, we still need to book our return tickets. Can I add on inter-island tickets to our tickets home? (Basically, it does not look like AA will let us book and pay for only HA flights on aa.com. I am interested in booking them through AA so I can get the AA miles and free checked bag. Is that possible?)

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by wanderlust99
Thanks, Adam. We are all ticketed together. Having the free bags will make it much easier to travel!

I have one other newbie question: When I was booking the milesaver tickets, I noticed that AA would also let us book flight between islands even though HA operates the flights. (I didn't do so at the time because the redemption rate was not good.) However, we still need to book our return tickets. Can I add on inter-island tickets to our tickets home? (Basically, it does not look like AA will let us book and pay for only HA flights on aa.com. I am interested in booking them through AA so I can get the AA miles and free checked bag. Is that possible?)

Thanks so much!
Ha! Just answered my own question. AA would be happy to sell me 2 inter-island trips and a ticket home for, get this, $2,000 PER PERSON. Then they graciously offered to upgrade me to first class for another $1k per person. The going rate for the 3 flights (1 AA, 2 HA) when I add them up separately is roughly $700, which is still to high for me. What a crock. I'll keep waiting.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:37 pm
eyi

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

AA generally has very good award availability, but on high demand routes it of course is a challenge to get availability as with any airline.

Bear in mind that with miles in two accounts, you will need to have enough miles in each individual account to ticket an entire award, i.e. a one way portion of a round trip or other itinerary. You cannot just combine any odd number of miles from account A and account B, unless you pay a large fee to “give” miles to another account - which could defeat the purpose of the award redemption in some cases if large number of miles needed to be transferred.

You have not said where you are or where you want to fly with AA miles. That information is necessary if you want advice.

By the way, when you say two accounts, are both in your own name? Or is one account in your name and the other in a family member’s name? In the former case, the accounts could possibly be merged into one. In the latter case, what I said above would be the case re award ticketing and “gifting” miles.

Thanks for your reply.

Two accounts are separate, one for me, one for my husband. Base airport is SFO, and as for where to fly, even just LHR would be great, but there's always connections, even on routes I know have frequent non-stop flights. I've actually been looking to use the miles anywhere it will give me a direct flight, but haven't found anything.

In each of the accounts, I have about 45k, so am trying to book for my husband and me.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by eyi
Thanks for your reply.

Two accounts are separate, one for me, one for my husband. Base airport is SFO, and as for where to fly, even just LHR would be great, but there's always connections, even on routes I know have frequent non-stop flights. I've actually been looking to use the miles anywhere it will give me a direct flight, but haven't found anything.

In each of the accounts, I have about 45k, so am trying to book for my husband and me.
You can get round trip domestic, possibly North America/Mexico/Caribbean etc...

As noted below, off peak Y to Europe could be possible.

You can find all information on the AA website.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Aug 29, 2018 at 8:13 pm Reason: corrected
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by eyi
Thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
You will not get international round trip tickets for two passengers for that number of miles. You can get round trip domestic, possibly North America/Mexico/Caribbean etc...

You can find all information on the AA website.
Eh, 45k is enough for a round trip off-peak award to Europe in coach. These are one of the easiest awards to find and also a great value.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Eh, 45k is enough for a round trip off-peak award to Europe in coach. These are one of the easiest awards to find and also a great value.
Sounds good. I never look at coach, so I missed that. Sorry I misspoke.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:01 am

I'm ExecPlat, so can see if flights have System Wide Upgrade space available. Is SWU space the same as miles+copay space? If a flight has an SWU upgrade available, can I upgrade with miles+copay?

I am looking at flight itineraries from Upstate, NY to PHL (arriving F terminal) and then connecting (with relatively short connecting times) to mainline flights departing out of other PHL terminals.

If I am able to upgrade using miles+copay on the connecting flight AND miss the flight because of the short (but still legal) connection time....will I be rebooked into F on a later flight...or will they rebook me in economy and refund the miles+copay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.