Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Jaxfan11

My current award is DEN-LAX-DOH-MCT.Am I allowed to re-route DEN-CLT-ORD-DOH-MCT or DEN-ORD-DOH-MCT so that I can fly Qsuites?

thanks.
Yep, no fee to switch, give AA a call if you find availability through ORD.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:05 pm

Question about strategy for using SWU, 500 MiU or complimentary upgrades

New to this but with 3 flights under the belt and one to go in Oct will make Executive P. So with Exec status I will begin using some 300,000 award pt., 12 - 500 mile upgrades and possible Comp upgrades if bestowed. So other that an educated guess using EF, how do you know if the comp. upgrade will hit and it will not be needed to use earned upgrades? I have received some continental flight comp leg upgrades earlier this year as Platinum. So for example if i will fly JFK-LGW-ROM with a 100 days out reservation. Should I put in for a SWU immediately with a Y ticket? And then another question is with a relocation flight to start the trip at JFK, a 944 miles away from home base, best to apply 2 - 500 mi upgrades at time of purchase or wait to see if complimentary upgrade comes thru and apply 500 upgrades a week or so before the flight??
Any general strategy along these lines also appreciated.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ceres

thank you for All the replies. I’ll call in the afternoon. Visiting mom at the hospital. What’s really funny if I hadn’t been so cheap with the other flights I took, I’d be over easily I was easily racked up a bunch of EQM’s but short on dollars. It’s definarely my own fault.

They are I fares, I wanted the 777 for the long leg. Oh well live and learn and ask questions. I’ll call tomorrow. Maybe put in another work trip right after Labor Day. Thanks again !!

Data Point.... your idea worked.... Thanks again everyone!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJPacker
New to this but with 3 flights under the belt and one to go in Oct will make Executive P. So with Exec status I will begin using some 300,000 award pt., 12 - 500 mile upgrades and possible Comp upgrades if bestowed. So other that an educated guess using EF, how do you know if the comp. upgrade will hit and it will not be needed to use earned upgrades? I have received some continental flight comp leg upgrades earlier this year as Platinum. So for example if i will fly JFK-LGW-ROM with a 100 days out reservation. Should I put in for a SWU immediately with a Y ticket? And then another question is with a relocation flight to start the trip at JFK, a 944 miles away from home base, best to apply 2 - 500 mi upgrades at time of purchase or wait to see if complimentary upgrade comes thru and apply 500 upgrades a week or so before the flight??
Any general strategy along these lines also appreciated.
I'd recommend reading some of the introduction and 'Welcome to AA' stickies at the top of this forum to get a better idea of how upgrades work on AA (you're confusing a lot of things, FYI).

Just for starters, EXP comp upgrades and earned 500-mi upgrades are essentially the same thing. As an EXP or PLT Pro you receive comp domestic upgrades, but a PLT or GLD must spend the 500-mi upgrades for the same flight. As an EXP it's not possible to use 500-mi upgrades for yourself, only for a companion on the same flight. So for the 944 mi domestic flight, you will be automatically requested for the EXP comp upgrade at the time of purchase. There is no magic formula to know whether this will clear or not, depends on lots of factors.

And for your JFK-LGW-ROM flights, SWUs are only valid on AA metal flights, and JFK-LGW is operated by BA. So it's not possible to use a SWU in that instance.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I'd recommend reading some of the introduction and 'Welcome to AA' stickies at the top of this forum to get a better idea of how upgrades work on AA (you're confusing a lot of things, FYI).

Just for starters, EXP comp upgrades and earned 500-mi upgrades are essentially the same thing. As an EXP or PLT Pro you receive comp domestic upgrades, but a PLT or GLD must spend the 500-mi upgrades for the same flight. As an EXP it's not possible to use 500-mi upgrades for yourself, only for a companion on the same flight. So for the 944 mi domestic flight, you will be automatically requested for the EXP comp upgrade at the time of purchase. There is no magic formula to know whether this will clear or not, depends on lots of factors.

And for your JFK-LGW-ROM flights, SWUs are only valid on AA metal flights, and JFK-LGW is operated by BA. So it's not possible to use a SWU in that instance.
Thanks for the quick answer JJeffrey. I will read some more stickies. You did answer the 500 mi upgrade question. I was wondering what good they were if you get comp upgrade anyway. But that works for companions... OK.
But the main question was strategy for SWU. I just made a hypothetical flight to ROM for example (flying AA) to ask best strategy for using SWU. When you use a SWU, how do you factor when to submit, I seem to remember reading OP's waiting to use SWU until other chances of upgrade failed?? ? I assume from your answer the comp upgrades or 500 mi upgrades are not useful on international AA flights, and therefore SWU is the only way to go? My main focus is TransAtlantic and TransPacific flights.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CJPacker
Thanks for the quick answer JJeffrey. I will read some more stickies. You did answer the 500 mi upgrade question. I was wondering what good they were if you get comp upgrade anyway. But that works for companions... OK.
But the main question was strategy for SWU. I just made a hypothetical flight to ROM for example (flying AA) to ask best strategy for using SWU. When you use a SWU, how do you factor when to submit, I seem to remember reading OP's waiting to use SWU until other chances of upgrade failed?? ? I assume from your answer the comp upgrades or 500 mi upgrades are not useful on international AA flights, and therefore SWU is the only way to go? My main focus is TransAtlantic and TransPacific flights.
I’d recommend reading Wikiposts at the top of the page in the following threads:

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend so you understand clearly who has upgrade priority. There’s not much you can do to improve the odds other than book flights Tu-We-Th or Sa, routes that look light in the desired class of service and hope there are no CKs or competing EPs. Rarely now, you can find the required upgrade class, e.g. C, on ExpertFlyer so you can book directly into your desired class of service.

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread) to learn more of how SWU work.

“Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrade Protocols / Questions, which covers complimentary Unlimited “Domestic” Upgrades and 500 mile e-upgrades. (I’ve got ~37 remaining of those I earned but have only spent on companions - and after 17 years as EP can begin using next year as I drop to lifetime Platinum.

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd), because you don’t want to miss out on any perquisite you might have coming.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:35 pm

No same day flight change even with seats available?

does anyone know whats going on with same day flight changes? Im Executive Platinum, and previously I was able to do a same day flight change to a confirmed seat on many different flights. I would do this a lot, hopping on earlier flights when not needed.

I jsut tried to do a same day flight change for a friday flight and was notified that there are NO confirmed same day flight changes for ANY flight on friday. Which doesnt make any sense to me because, specifically, the one flight i do want to get on still has over half the seats open. And thats just one of several flights.

So even though there are literally hundreds of seats available, im forced to go standby.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MoofuJJ
does anyone know whats going on with same day flight changes? Im Executive Platinum, and previously I was able to do a same day flight change to a confirmed seat on many different flights. I would do this a lot, hopping on earlier flights when not needed.

I jsut tried to do a same day flight change for a friday flight and was notified that there are NO confirmed same day flight changes for ANY flight on friday. Which doesnt make any sense to me because, specifically, the one flight i do want to get on still has over half the seats open. And thats just one of several flights.

So even though there are literally hundreds of seats available, im forced to go standby.
Is there “E” fare available? See Same Day Standby (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread). The Wikipost at the top of the page has the rules for SDFC.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Is there “E” fare available? See The Wikipost at the top of the page has the rules for SDFC.
From what I can tell, yes.

AA 582 0 LAX
08/10/18 1:30 PM DFW
08/10/18 6:43 PM 321
Daily
65% / 36m J2 D0 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 E7

e7 means theres at least 7 E fare seats?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there “E” fare available? See Same Day Standby (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread). The Wikipost at the top of the page has the rules for SDFC.
Originally Posted by MoofuJJ
From what I can tell, yes.

AA 582 0 LAX
08/10/18 1:30 PM DFW
08/10/18 6:43 PM 321
Daily
65% / 36m J2 D0 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 E7

e7 means theres at least 7 E fare seats?
Yea, but AA recently changed the SDFC protocol so that E inventory does not necessarily mean SDFC is available. Lots of discussion in the above mentioned thread.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:18 am

I’d recommend reading Wikiposts at the top of the page in the following threads:

Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend so you understand clearly who has upgrade priority. There’s not much you can do to improve the odds other than book flights Tu-We-Th or Sa, routes that look light in the desired class of service and hope there are no CKs or competing EPs. Rarely now, you can find the required upgrade class, e.g. C, on ExpertFlyer so you can book directly into your desired class of service.

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread) to learn more of how SWU work.

“Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrade Protocols / Questions, which covers complimentary Unlimited “Domestic” Upgrades and 500 mile e-upgrades. (I’ve got ~37 remaining of those I earned but have only spent on companions - and after 17 years as EP can begin using next year as I drop to lifetime Platinum.

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd), because you don’t want to miss out on any perquisite you might have coming.
Thanks so MUCH. Those are the Wikiposts i need!!
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: aa
how to cancel second part of 2-part flight

I have a 2 part return flight with a day-long layover. I chose the flight so I could use the layover to visit museums. However, I now have meetings scheduled and need to get a train home immediately after the first flight lands. What's the best thing to do?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ct1643
I have a 2 part return flight with a day-long layover. I chose the flight so I could use the layover to visit museums. However, I now have meetings scheduled and need to get a train home immediately after the first flight lands. What's the best thing to do?
As soon as you land, go online to aa.com, pull up your reservation, and cancel it there. You'll be cancelled off the 2nd flight.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: aa
Thank you. I assume there will be no repercussions? Don't want to lose my ff status.

Additional information: the flight in question isn't for a few days. So wondering if I should cancel now?

Last edited by JY1024; Aug 11, 2018 at 1:07 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you. I assume there will be no repercussions? Don't want to lose my ff status.
Additional information: the flight in question isn't for a few days. So wondering if I should cancel now?
No repercussions. If you cancel now, the only way to do it would be for AA to reprice the itinerary to just your first flight, which would include paying the change fee and fare difference. Otherwise both flights will get cancelled.

The only way to do it without that is just take the first flight, then go online and cancel once you land, as mentioned above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.