Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by 1010101
Slightly frustrating issue i wonder if anyone can assist with. I have a single booking with two flights, an AA coded BA flight connecting at LHR onto an AA flight to North America, both now within 24 hours of departure.

On ba.com i can check in for the BA flight but not the AA flight. On aa.com when i click check in it just keeps redirecting me to ba.com. Any ideas how to check in and get a boarding pass for the AA flight?
Just stop at the BA check-in desk whenever you arrive at the airport and they will check you in for everything. OLCI rarely if ever works for me on mixed carrier itineraries like this, especially flying to the US.
wrp96 and 1010101 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yea, at LHR the new Flagship Lounge should be where the existing AA Int'l F lounge is today. EXPs flying in coach on domestic flights do not get any lounge access.
The First lounge at LAX gave access to International First Class and First Class passengers to JFK as well EXP’s traveling Inyernationally (ie not Mexico and Csnada) or flights to JFK. Rules at JFK were the same but inckuded SFO and LAX pax. I asked why and was tokd it was also a three class service.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjlon

The First lounge at LAX gave access to International First Class and First Class passengers to JFK as well EXP’s traveling Inyernationally (ie not Mexico and Csnada) or flights to JFK. Rules at JFK were the same but inckuded SFO and LAX pax. I asked why and was tokd it was also a three class service.
Well aware of the rules, but EXPs in Y have never received lounge access on purely domestic flights, including the 3-class transcons JFK-LAX/SFO. This goes for the old Flagship Lounges, Int'l First Lounges, and new Flagship Lounges.

Either you misunderstood or the agent you asked didn't know the rules, which wouldn't be the first time, but such is the case.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:51 am

Not a newbie, but can't find a relevant thread and embarrassed to start a new thread about this.

I have held an award booking for two on aa.com after logging into my AAdvantage account. We've decided that the other passenger's miles will be used. Can she just log in and complete the booking? It looks, from doing a dry run, that they will let her book it; but will it still deduct my miles since I started the booking in the first place?

I know I could call, but then I'd have to pay the booking fee...
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Not a newbie, but can't find a relevant thread and embarrassed to start a new thread about this.

I have held an award booking for two on aa.com after logging into my AAdvantage account. We've decided that the other passenger's miles will be used. Can she just log in and complete the booking? It looks, from doing a dry run, that they will let her book it; but will it still deduct my miles since I started the booking in the first place?

I know I could call, but then I'd have to pay the booking fee...
Are additional award seats still available for booking? If so, have your friend put the additional seats on hold. Then, you should immediately cancel your held reservation so that AA does not cancel one set as a duplicate.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are additional award seats still available for booking? If so, have your friend put the additional seats on hold. Then, you should immediately cancel your held reservation so that AA does not cancel one set as a duplicate.
No. And don't want to risk canceling and seeing if the awards become available.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. And don't want to risk canceling and seeing if the awards become available.
The miles will be pulled from whichever account is logged in at the time. So have your friend log-in, pull up the reservation, and book it...the miles will come from her account.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The miles will be pulled from whichever account is logged in at the time. So have your friend log-in, pull up the reservation, and book it...the miles will come from her account.
Great, thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great, thanks!
Yep, aa.com even puts this in writing now during the booking path...

thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
If an EXP or PP purchase a Y ticket and then gets a complimentary upgrade to F on a domestic route, do they get lounge access?
What about Gold and Plat in the same situation with 500 mile upgrades?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by outofbounds
If an EXP or PP purchase a Y ticket and then gets a complimentary upgrade to F on a domestic route, do they get lounge access?
What about Gold and Plat in the same situation with 500 mile upgrades?

Welcome to FT.

It depends on the route. For most domestic routes, no access by AA status/cabin (exceptions: transcons). For international, there'll be lounge access in this case but the upgrade you described (op-up) is extremely rare and you cannot use 500-mile to upgrade an international segment. In general, no domestic AC/FL access by AA status regardless of upgrade or not, except CK accessing FL and transcons.

Note that domestic here also includes flights to Canada etc.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond
Hi all,
New frequent traveler here! I recently started working for a consulting firm and traveling multiple times every week. I did a status challenge and am at Platinum and am about 20k miles away from PP. I find I've got a few questions mulling about in my head that you guys may be able to answer.

1) Do miles on partners count as EQMs? I'm flying to Tahiti via Air Tahiti Nui (I bought the ticket on AA.com) and I'm hoping the 12k miles will be attributed to my quest to reach platinum pro. Any ideas?
2) Any tips on upgrades? I am unfortunately often flying busy routes at busy times (like CLT-NY on Monday mornings and Thursday evenings). I often find myself at the top of the upgrade list and then nothing happens. It's happened enough that I wonder if I'm just unlucky or if they're skipping over me for some reason. Any experiences you've had that could help me out?
3) Any tips or tricks anyone has used to earn EQMs in order to gain status?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by christenlabelle
Hi all,
New frequent traveler here! I recently started working for a consulting firm and traveling multiple times every week. I did a status challenge and am at Platinum and am about 20k miles away from PP. I find I've got a few questions mulling about in my head that you guys may be able to answer.

... Thanks in advance.
Welcome to FlyerTalk and frequent travel.

1) Do miles on partners count as EQMs? I'm flying to Tahiti via Air Tahiti Nui (I bought the ticket on AA.com) and I'm hoping the 12k miles will be attributed to my quest to reach platinum pro. Any ideas?

Unless you purchased the TN flights as AA “codeshares” (AA marketed flights), you’ll earn nothing, regardless of where you purchased the flights. But, if you purchased them from AA and you’re connecting to TN from an AA flight, you might have AA flight numbers - check your e-ticket to see how your LAX-PPT is coded.

All AA coded flights earn as if you were flying AA. Other partners earn as shown on their specific charts here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp

2) Any tips on upgrades? I am unfortunately often flying busy routes at busy times (like CLT-NY on Monday mornings and Thursday evenings). I often find myself at the top of the upgrade list and then nothing happens. It's happened enough that I wonder if I'm just unlucky or if they're skipping over me for some reason. Any experiences you've had that could help me out?

AA is flying their aircraft fuller. Upgrades are issued in a very rigid order. There’s really nothing you can do, given you’re flying for work with inflexible schedules. See here: Upgrade Priority: Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD Spend.

3) Any tips or tricks anyone has used to earn EQMs in order to gain status?

Choose your fare carefully, don’t overlook the EQD requirement - EQM without EQD won’t earn you status. Consider the Barclays Aviator Card to earn EQD and EQM. Get the Red, upgrade to Silver in a few months. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

Read here; there’s a huge amount of hived knowledge. I’m a retired consultant “road warrior”, not quite 20years as EP (falling back to lifetime Platinum next year) and I’ve learned a lot from members here.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:17 am

My SO put a Cathay award on hold using her AA account. However, she does not have enough miles in her account to complete the booking. If I have enough miles in my account, can I call and have them complete the booking using my miles, or am I stuck waiting for the hold to expire and attempting to book using my account?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kylash
My SO put a Cathay award on hold using her AA account. However, she does not have enough miles in her account to complete the booking. If I have enough miles in my account, can I call and have them complete the booking using my miles, or am I stuck waiting for the hold to expire and attempting to book using my account?
AA does not have the family pooling for AAdvantage points. As such, if you would like to do so, you would have to gift your miles to your SO. A (significant) fee will be charged in this process, depending on how many miles you gift/transfer. See here for more details: https://buymiles.americanairlines.co...EN,US_TRANSFER

It looks like you have enough miles on your account, so you could simply go ahead to book the same trip, and then cancel her hold on her account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.