Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by gaobest
My wife bought 3 F tickets for us for 6/30-7/6
now she wants to fly sooner and return 7/6, but my son and I would still fly 6/30-7/6

what are our options for this?
It should be no problem to split the pnr, leave your ticket intact while she pays to change hers.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Hypothetical question given the DFW Flagship Lounge is not open yet but I were flying first and business XXX - DFW - MIA - PTY, could I access Flagship at DFW in addition to MIA? I realize no Flagship Dining

Thank you!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Hypothetical question given the DFW Flagship Lounge is not open yet but I were flying first and business XXX - DFW - MIA - PTY, could I access Flagship at DFW in addition to MIA? I realize no Flagship Dining

Thank you!
Yes, if you have a qualifying itinerary like that then you can access any of the Flagship Lounges (or ACs) along the way.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Bradhattan

Thank you!
As pointed out, there is no Flagship lounge operating at DFW at this time. There are Admirals Clubs, and an interim Premium Lounge operating in D at the moment.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by swag
It should be no problem to split the pnr, leave your ticket intact while she pays to change hers.
thank you!
after she splits the pnr, will my son and I have any problems with our part of the pnr, because it's paid with her credit card.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire

thank you!
after she splits the pnr, will my son and I have any problems with our part of the pnr, because it's paid with her credit card.
You shouldn't have any issues, its not that uncommon for a third party to be paying for the flights. Any later changes to your reservation that requires an additional fee they will ask for a credit card again anyways..
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thank you!
No problems. But benefits due to one flyer won't carry over to the other PNR. So for example if your wife holds the AA credit card, if you are one one PNR, each passenger gets a free checked bag; if you split the PNR's, she'll get the free bag but you won't.

If you don't have the credit card or elite status, there's little downside to splitting the PNR.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:37 am

Saver awards now one class below?

I've been searching saver awards (Biz & First) for a TATL next year. No matter what combo I select it seems that EVERY domestic AA connection books into economy unless it's a full (non-saver) award.

Is this now AA policy, that I can redeem for Biz or First on AA or BA but must sit in eco on the domestic leg?

Example: SAN-CDG can be booked any number of ways in the premium cabins but no matter what the SAN-DFW leg is in economy. If I go in and select the same SAN-DFW leg as a standalone I am able to book a biz saver in the premium cabin.

If this is their new direction I might just be abandoning AAdv after decades...
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sddjd
I've been searching saver awards (Biz & First) for a TATL next year. No matter what combo I select it seems that EVERY domestic AA connection books into economy unless it's a full (non-saver) award.

Is this now AA policy, that I can redeem for Biz or First on AA or BA but must sit in eco on the domestic leg?

Example: SAN-CDG can be booked any number of ways in the premium cabins but no matter what the SAN-DFW leg is in economy. If I go in and select the same SAN-DFW leg as a standalone I am able to book a biz saver in the premium cabin.

If this is their new direction I might just be abandoning AAdv after decades...
You can read this thread Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion, and you’ll see how you can put these segments together.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:37 pm

Thanks JD- I understand some of the methods in that thread for requesting a seat in the award class booked (I've attempted this in the past with no success and have flown transpac several times behind premium cabins with literally one or two passengers, so have little wish to rely on such). However, based on searches today it looks like AA has now made this domestic eco for Biz & First saver awards a policy. I checked many different destinations randomly and it looks like they're now just "forcing" a voluntary downgrade on any Saver awards using domestic connections.

Starting to look to me like an end-around way to gouge redemptions instead of a more PR-unfriendly bump. The cabins in question are totally empty and available to single leg Saver awards, just not as part of multi-leg routes. Sad development if so....
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Question: Can you get status with EQD's if you're flying only partner airlines?

I have a lot of travel planned with Oneworld this year. It's going to get me gold with Qantas but only just (their earnings for partner airlines are pretty bad). I'm thinking of attributing it to AA, especially because I do a lot of USA travel (and plan to fly business class with them next next Tokyo to Austin). Here is my Oneworld flights:

Latam Airlines, CHC to SCL (economy)
Latam Airlines, SCL to CUZ (economy)
Qatar, DPS to TBS (economy)
Royal Jordanian, TLV to BKK (business class)
Qantas, BKK to CHC (economy)
Qantas, CHC to LAX return (business class)

No AA flights planned in there for the rest of the year (but who knows). Am I still eligible for status?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sddjd
Thanks JD- I understand some of the methods in that thread for requesting a seat in the award class booked (I've attempted this in the past with no success and have flown transpac several times behind premium cabins with literally one or two passengers, so have little wish to rely on such). However, based on searches today it looks like AA has now made this domestic eco for Biz & First saver awards a policy. I checked many different destinations randomly and it looks like they're now just "forcing" a voluntary downgrade on any Saver awards using domestic connections.

Starting to look to me like an end-around way to gouge redemptions instead of a more PR-unfriendly bump. The cabins in question are totally empty and available to single leg Saver awards, just not as part of multi-leg routes. Sad development if so....
It's not universal. I did a random search, and the first date I looked at 9/19/18 has LHR-ORD-MSY in premium cabin the while way.

Maybe it's something unique to your local airport (availability, not policy).

Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Question: Can you get status with EQD's if you're flying only partner airlines?

I have a lot of travel planned with Oneworld this year. It's going to get me gold with Qantas but only just (their earnings for partner airlines are pretty bad). I'm thinking of attributing it to AA, especially because I do a lot of USA travel (and plan to fly business class with them next next Tokyo to Austin).

Here is my Oneworld flights:
Latam Airlines, CHC to SCL (economy)
Latam Airlines, SCL to CUZ (economy)
Qatar, DPS to TBS (economy)
Royal Jordanian, TLV to BKK (business class)
Qantas, BKK to CHC (economy)
Qantas, CHC to LAX return (business class)

No AA flights planned in there for the rest of the year (but who knows). Am I still eligible for status?
AA now do not have the own airline 4 segment rule for status. (QF does).

AA is a better ffp than QF. But AA earning is now harder to determine, with revenue or the alternative distance method.
Are any flights on an *ONE* ticket?

However QF gold/plat (OW Sapphire Emerald) will get you lounge assess for USA domsetic flights, where as the equivalent AA status will not.

AA status/earning is based on calendar year, where as QF is based on the month you joined (12 months).

The flights to/from CHC will need to be via SYD or MEL, so you have more flight numbers.
CHC-SCL will need to be on JQ to AKL or via SYD. QF fly SYD-SCL. LA fly SYD-AKL-SCL & MEL-SCL.

QF flights are eligible for the AA challenge:- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-2017-a.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 21, 2018 at 6:45 pm
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AA now do not have the own airline 4 segment rule for status. (QF does).

AA is a better ffp than QF. But AA earning is now harder to determine, with revenue or the alternative distance method.
Are any flights on an *ONE* ticket?

However QF gold/plat (OW Sapphire Emerald) will get you lounge assess for USA domsetic flights, where as the equivalent AA status will not.

AA status/earning is based on calendar year, where as QF is based on the month you joined (12 months).

The flights to/from CHC will need to be via SYD or MEL, so you have more flight numbers.
CHC-SCL will need to be on JQ to AKL or via SYD. QF fly SYD-SCL. LA fly SYD-AKL-SCL & MEL-SCL.

QF flights are eligible for the AA challenge:- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-2017-a.html
Interesting! Good to know, thank you. It's so strange to me that AA doesn't let their own members inside the lounges, but if I get status with Qantas they will let me in... haha. Also so strange that it's based on the calendar year rather than when you join... (I'm used to Air New Zealand's which is also a 12 month period) So if I get status in September this year... it'll only last until the end of this year? Does the same apply to my Oneworld Status? I was looking forward to having Oneworld status for a year, haha.

And yes, there are additional segments on all of those flights. Each flight has 2 segments a piece so it's actually double the amount of flights. I just listed my tickets.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
<snip>
So if I get status in September this year... it'll only last until the end of this year? Does the same apply to my Oneworld Status?
If you get AA status this year (2018) you will have status until 31 Dec 2019 (or it may last another month:- others will correct)
If you get QF status in your QF year you will have status until 12 months after your year. (ie If say your QF year is August, and you get status before 31 Aug 2018, you have status until 31 Aug 2019)
AA & QF status is OW status.
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-oneworld-tier-status
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/oneworld-benefits

Most USA domestic lounges are nothing like a Koru or QF lounge. Can be better outside at times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.