Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 1:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael D
Does American have a meal service in International Business and First where the meal is served in one service as soon as possible after take off (Executive Dining in United speak)?
They have also upgraded the food offering in some Flagship Lounge locations, so one can eat a reasonable meal in Lounge and go straight to sleep on flight. I find trying to sleep from just after take off works better than being awake for the meal and then trying to sleep at destination time zone...
Old May 30, 2018, 1:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by greenmeadie
Hi all,

I'm trying to help my girlfriend get to Platinum Pro but as I'm a BA FF, I don't know too much about the AA programme.

She is currently Platinum until 31st Jan 19, at 1,319 EQD and 15,399 miles. What i dont get is that on her membership page it says 'Progress to Gold, Keep flying to enjoy this status until 31st Jan, 20' so is she earning now for next years status?

Also, is there any calculator for EQD's and EQM's? I know only the fare counts for EQD's, but with EQM's, is that just the flight mileage?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

James
First one is easy.
The AA program resets every year. So even if you are EXP, you will reset to zero in the new year. This s why you see the EQM's, EQD's to Gold. I have lifetime Platinum but it always shows requirements to Gold at start of year.

EQM's are based on Miles times a multiplier dependent on carrier. I tried to find the page that has details but so far no luck. AAdvantage Customer Service are very helpful if you call them. There is a local number for UK as well as the domestic numbers (For each level).

Good luck.
greenmeadie likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
I believe that information is shown during the purchase process, and after that it is not shown in your account at all until you have flown and it has all posted.

In the Wikipost atbthe top of the page of https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...a-partners.html, where you can post your details and request assistance, it states, in part:
Thank you for your reply. For whatever reason the link you provided does not work for me (page not found) but a google search brings up the relevant thread

After further investigation I have found that the AA site only shows estimated earnings if you are booking a simple return flight (eg HKG-LAX) A return flight that has connections via different cities HKG-SFO via NRT on the outbound and LAX on the return will not show estimated earning before booking. Nor will multi city itineraries. To get the EQM EQD earnings you need to call.

When flying CX I have always used this calculator to work out earnings for my upcoming flights. Is there anything similar to this for AA?

Finally redeemable miles earnings are based on the dollar amount spent with a multiplier depending on your AA status. If you upgrade in status mid way through an itinerary how do they calculate the miles earned? Is ti based on the status when you book the flight, start the trip or at the end of the trip?

Many thanks.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I usually calculate EQMs just by looking up distance between city pairs, EQDs and RDMs are easy if you know the fare.

For redeemable miles earned based on Status, I believe that you get the extra redeemable miles for the flight that pushes you over the edge. I'd have to check though, I had a status challenge and dropped back on earnings this year.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by rjlon
First one is easy.
The AA program resets every year. So even if you are EXP, you will reset to zero in the new year. This s why you see the EQM's, EQD's to Gold. I have lifetime Platinum but it always shows requirements to Gold at start of year.

EQM's are based on Miles times a multiplier dependent on carrier. I tried to find the page that has details but so far no luck. AAdvantage Customer Service are very helpful if you call them. There is a local number for UK as well as the domestic numbers (For each level).

Good luck.
Thanks for this explanation. To clarify, the targets that are on the right (EQM's, EQD's) - are those showing how much to go to get to the next level (i.e. Platinum to Platinum Pro) or to Gold for next year? I never realised how straightforward BA's mileage programme is until now!!
Old May 30, 2018, 7:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Herostratus
Thank you for your reply. For whatever reason the link you provided does not work for me (page not found) but a google search brings up the relevant thread

After further investigation I have found that the AA site only shows estimated earnings if you are booking a simple return flight (eg HKG-LAX) A return flight that has connections via different cities HKG-SFO via NRT on the outbound and LAX on the return will not show estimated earning before booking. Nor will multi city itineraries. To get the EQM EQD earnings you need to call.

When flying CX I have always used this calculator to work out earnings for my upcoming flights. Is there anything similar to this for AA?

Finally redeemable miles earnings are based on the dollar amount spent with a multiplier depending on your AA status. If you upgrade in status mid way through an itinerary how do they calculate the miles earned? Is ti based on the status when you book the flight, start the trip or at the end of the trip?

Many thanks.
I’ll try again https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html. My apologies.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:08 pm

I am planning to use my AA miles to book a flight to Europe for my parents. I will not be traveling with them. I am not sure whose credit card I should use to pay for the fees when I book the flight online. Should I use my credit card or one of my parent's credit card? I've read stories of people who had to show the credit card that was used at the airport check-in counter. I just want to make sure that they don't encounter any issues. Thank you in advance!
Old May 30, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
So, I'm not exactly a newbie, but I am fairly inexperienced at award travel booking, as we just don't seem to earn many miles. That said, I am looking to maybe fly a friend with me to NYC next month using my miles, and I have a few questions.
To preface, my itinerary is:
June 10 AA2287 AUS-JFK
June 14 AA2772 JFK-AUS

1) Earlier today I saw connecting flights available for the 12,500 mile redemption level, with my flights available at the 30,000 mile level.
2) I now see none at 12,500. How frequently is this updated?
3) I am Plat, would my friend be granted the same benefits as me (2 checked bags, priority, MCE access, Same Day standby) at the 12,500 level? The 30,000 level?
4) Would there be potentially better access to the 12,500 on the N/S flights closer to departure?
5) Would calling the plat desk change any of the above?

Sorry, I looked through a ton of the wikis and about six pages of posts, but didn't quite see what I was looking for. Obviously since my itin is already booked, and with one paid and one award, I cannot do this on the same itin. I am guessing that after booking I could call the Plat desk and asked that the PNR's be linked, but will that do anything?

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by greenmeadie
Thanks for this explanation. To clarify, the targets that are on the right (EQM's, EQD's) - are those showing how much to go to get to the next level (i.e. Platinum to Platinum Pro) or to Gold for next year? I never realised how straightforward BA's mileage programme is until now!!
I think it is a question of familiarity. I know some friends who are BA Frequent Flyers and some of the rules and charges stump me but they do not see any issues. Like Soccer and NFL, easy to follow when you know the rules... Remind me about the offside rule again....
Old May 31, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Hello All,

New to AA. I was offered temp Gold status (took it!) and have a flight tomorrow. I was auto-assigned seats in First class. I am having trouble changing seats....the system keeps giving me an error so I called AA. The rep said that the flight goes to airport control at 24 hr (I could be wrong but I thought it was an hour before the flight when it goes to airport control?). The rep said they can't do anything and I would have to wait until I get to the airport to change seats.....seems ridiculous and the seats are disappearing!!!

Its the last leg of my trip that won't let me choose an available seat. Is this because it is technically more than 24 hours before the flight leaves? Or have I hit some bug?

Thanks for any input and suggestions!
Old May 31, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Hello All,

New to AA. I was offered temp Gold status (took it!) and have a flight tomorrow. I was auto-assigned seats in First class. I am having trouble changing seats....the system keeps giving me an error so I called AA. The rep said that the flight goes to airport control at 24 hr (I could be wrong but I thought it was an hour before the flight when it goes to airport control?). The rep said they can't do anything and I would have to wait until I get to the airport to change seats.....seems ridiculous and the seats are disappearing!!!

Its the last leg of my trip that won't let me choose an available seat. Is this because it is technically more than 24 hours before the flight leaves? Or have I hit some bug?

Congrats on getting upgraded. Seat changes being controlled by the airport happens to me from time to time. It seems to happen on fuller flights and anyone at the airport can help you. I would try DMing the AA twitter team, they can work miracles.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MikeShores
So, I'm not exactly a newbie, but I am fairly inexperienced at award travel booking, as we just don't seem to earn many miles. That said, I am looking to maybe fly a friend with me to NYC next month using my miles, and I have a few questions.
To preface, my itinerary is:
June 10 AA2287 AUS-JFK
June 14 AA2772 JFK-AUS

1) Earlier today I saw connecting flights available for the 12,500 mile redemption level, with my flights available at the 30,000 mile level.
2) I now see none at 12,500. How frequently is this updated?
3) I am Plat, would my friend be granted the same benefits as me (2 checked bags, priority, MCE access, Same Day standby) at the 12,500 level? The 30,000 level?
4) Would there be potentially better access to the 12,500 on the N/S flights closer to departure?
5) Would calling the plat desk change any of the above?

Sorry, I looked through a ton of the wikis and about six pages of posts, but didn't quite see what I was looking for. Obviously since my itin is already booked, and with one paid and one award, I cannot do this on the same itin. I am guessing that after booking I could call the Plat desk and asked that the PNR's be linked, but will that do anything?

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Award seats can come and go at anytime. AA offers a free 5 day hold on awards, so if you see something like the connecting itinerary that looked even remotely interesting, you can always put it on hold for 5 days while you finalize your plans. It's always possible that AA could release additional sAAver seats on the AUS-JFK nonstop, but when/if that happens is anybody's guess. For a simple domestic flight like this calling AA generally won't produce any different results.

For your friend's benefits, it makes no difference whether they are booked on a 12.5k sAAver award or 30k AAnytime award. You can't "link" PNRs, however you can call AA after booking and get your friend seated next to you in MCE for free, and on the upgrade list with you if you're trying to upgrade. For priority security and boarding, a simple "he's traveling with me" works 99% of the time. Your other PLT benefits (baggage, stand-by, etc.) typically will not carry over to companions on separate PNRs, however these are always YMMV situations depending on the agent helping you.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I am very inexperienced at booking reward travel and looking for some advice. I having been accumulating miles to use towards a trip to Europe for myself & my wife for our anniversary next April -- hoping to get business class seats. I'll be flying from DFW to CPH in late April and back in mid-May. I have seen lots of advice about trying to avoid British Airways due to the hefty surcharges, but it seems every search comes up with BA as the only option. The good side is that there seems to be good availability for business class seats at 57.5K each way, however round-trip surcharges appear total over $2K for the two of us. I've primarily searched using the AA website as well as British Airways. It's my understanding that a direct AA flight to London, even if connecting to a British Airways flight to CPH from there would significantly decrease the surcharge.

Would you recommend waiting a bit to see if availability on an AA flight opens up or should I just bite the bullet and pay the surcharge so I don't risk the available BA seats disappearing?
Some previous discussions I've read mention trying to pursue routing through a non-UK airport such as CDG or MAD ... is there a good way to try to force the reward flight search to these routes versus through London?

I've also seen reference to searching for flights on Finnair and/or Iberia as well, but am no having luck finding any good options there either.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide!
Old May 31, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Congrats on getting upgraded. Seat changes being controlled by the airport happens to me from time to time. It seems to happen on fuller flights and anyone at the airport can help you. I would try DMing the AA twitter team, they can work miracles.
I think I figured it out.......This is a same day return with multi-legs: GRR-ORD-IAH-DFW-GRR....While it appeared to be a round trip when I booked, AA.com makes it look as: GRR (2 stops with plane changes) -DFW and then DFW-GRR, like it was two one ways yet one PNR. Online check-in worked for all legs but wouldn't allow seat changes to the legs that were more than 24 hours before departure (even though the upgrades occurred for some legs in advance of 24 hours - assuming due to the first leg within 24 hours of departure). Once each flight hit the 24 hr mark, the seat change would stick....also assuming due to being elite upgrades and not paid FC.
All speculation of course! I still managed to get a favorable seat albeit my first choice had disappeared by the time I could get the change to stick.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Hello All,

Seats go to airport control at T-24. Often the allocation of many upgrades is done during this time. You should be able to change seats on web check in. Failing that you have to do it at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.