Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old May 19, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by marsh11
I'm aa platinum and i called the special number, but i'm pretty sure i didn't get a "platinum" agent. I can usually tell immediately when i get one as they greet me by name and just sound a lot more professional. Also i had to hold for quite a while just to get an agent, which is not usually the case. So maybe i got routed to someone less experienced.
The quality of agents can certainly vary. I agree that you can usually tell in the first minute or so whether an agent is going to be a good one. In this case, it might be worthwhile to call back and get another opinion.

Originally Posted by marsh11
apologies for quoting myself here but is there some nice formula out there that will tell me, for a given distance and fare, whether i'd be better off booking aa or ba to maximize eqms?
EQM will be the same whether booked as an AA or BA flight (1.5 EQM per mile flown). The difference will be in the EQD you earn. With an AA flight number, you simply earn the amount you paid less taxes and fees; with BA you’ll earn a percentage of miles flown. Since it sounds like you’re booking full-fare premium economy, the math will likely favor booking as an AA flight instead if a BA flight.

Last edited by flyingeph12; May 19, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Old May 19, 2018, 11:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Marsh11
Yep, that definitely makes sense

She told me that premium economy booked as BA is upgradeable with AA miles but that premium economy booked as AA (on a BA operated flight) is not. I said "so if I had booked this as BA I could have used miles to upgrade, but since I booked it as AA I can't?" and she confirmed that this was the case. Again, this was after I was on hold for 40 minutes while she had the fare department explain everything to her. She said that I could only upgrade with miles if BA was the "prime" and offered to rebook as such for the fare difference.

But you're right, if I had booked everything as BA, I'm not sure how AA would even be in the picture to allow me to upgrade my BA flight with AA miles. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

So I remain quite confused as to what I should do in the future to have the ability to upgrade from premium economy to business on a BA operated flight with AA miles. The main thing I care about is having a ticket I can upgrade (my company will only let me book premium economy), although I do also care about earning EQMs. Not sure if fare-based or distance-based would serve me better in this situation.

​​​​​​​
I agree. I'm AA Platinum and I called the special number, but I'm pretty sure I didn't get a "platinum" agent. I can usually tell immediately when I get one as they greet me by name and just sound a lot more professional. Also I had to hold for quite a while just to get an agent, which is not usually the case. So maybe I got routed to someone less experienced.
There is no such person as a “Platinum Agent”; there are prioritized Gold, Platinum and Platinum Pro numbers to the main call center. (Though there is an actual Executive Platinum Desk, there are some agents there who aren’t knowledgeable or even helpful.)

To upgrade with AA miles, you must have full Y to,upgrade to PEY / World Traveller Plus, or full W in WT+ to upgrade to Club World. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html; read the Wikipost at the top of the page for requirements.

Often, a discounted “I” CW fare is cheaper than full W PEY; chevk your World Traveller Plus fare class to see if it is eligible - E and T are not.

Originally Posted by Marsh11
Apologies for quoting myself here but is there some nice formula out there that will tell me, for a given distance and fare, whether I'd be better off booking AA or BA to maximize EQMs?
You can earn 2.0 EQM per mile flown in discounted Business or First, or 3.0 EQM per mile for full fare J or F, flying as AA. Flying as BA, you can’t earn over 1.5 EQM on any fare. You earn 1.5 for World Traveller Plus, 1.0 only fir Y or B. And discounted Economy / World Traveller earn 0.50 or 0.25, depending on fare basis.

For earnings see the BA page on aa.com here.

For AA, see here.

Last edited by JDiver; May 19, 2018 at 11:11 pm
Old May 20, 2018, 11:23 pm

I don't have any status with aa but am flying JFK-PDX with a layover in LAX. So it'll be JFK-PDX-LAX in business class, am I able to access the flagship lounge in JFK and LAX before my flights? I know they're a bit more stingy in letting people in the flagship lounge and one of the ways to get in was a business or first ticket from JFK-LAX but I'm not sure if it matters that I'm on a layover to PDX.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by snowboardpunk
I don't have any status with aa but am flying JFK-PDX with a layover in LAX. So it'll be JFK-PDX-LAX in business class, am I able to access the flagship lounge in JFK and LAX before my flights? I know they're a bit more stingy in letting people in the flagship lounge and one of the ways to get in was a business or first ticket from JFK-LAX but I'm not sure if it matters that I'm on a layover to PDX.
Think you mean flying JFK-LAX-PDX? But yes, you can access the FL at JFK and LAX, it doesn't matter that you're connecting beyond LAX.
JDiver and snowboardpunk like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:59 am

This morning I had the first time my AA app boarding pass failing to get accepted at TSA Pre. I'm asking here as I suspect some issue with the AA app. It scanned fine but caused a red vs usually green/yellow light. I was advised to get a printed version at the desk, and that indeed worked.
Never had this issue before. Any past experiences why that would be?

The reason I'm suspecting the AA app is because last week I had another issue where the app wouldn't show a boarding pass. Different problem though, it just wouldn't open the screen for the passnobmatter if I clicked the button. Even restarting and clearing app cache didn't help for that one.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Note that mileage upgrades are good for only a one cabin upgrade—so with BA, there is generally no such thing as an upgrade from economy to business.
Indeed. It needs to be remembered that BA introduced Premium Economy in part to stop Economy Discount Tickets upgrading to Business Class. This goes with the policy to charge high fees on Award Tickets. AA however as of this date is not using Premium Economy to disadvantage Frequent Flyers but to offer an enhanced Coach product for those whose employers will not allow Premium Cabin travel or for personal trips where the pax wants the added benefits and is prepared to pay a little more. This counterbalances Basic Economy which is designed for the pax who wish to pay less for less. So the AA offering is actually a better deal all round. Let us hope it stays this way.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by matt85
This morning I had the first time my AA app boarding pass failing to get accepted at TSA Pre. I'm asking here as I suspect some issue with the AA app. It scanned fine but caused a red vs usually green/yellow light. I was advised to get a printed version at the desk, and that indeed worked.
Never had this issue before. Any past experiences why that would be?

The reason I'm suspecting the AA app is because last week I had another issue where the app wouldn't show a boarding pass. Different problem though, it just wouldn't open the screen for the passnobmatter if I clicked the button. Even restarting and clearing app cache didn't help for that one.
Are you sure that your seat did not change between the time you downloaded the boarding pass and when you tried to use it? If you change seats, you must delete the old BP and re-download the new one - it does not automatically update. I believe that any other change to your ticket that would cause it to re-issue would do the same, though I am not sure about that (e.g. changing the connecting or return flight).
Old May 22, 2018, 9:19 pm

Yes, 100%. I also tried refreshing the boarding pass in the app right at the TSA counter, but it still failed at their scan afterwards. Will try again tomorrow at JFK...
Old May 23, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: BA
My understanding is that AAdvantage awards can be date-changed an unlimited number of times, as long as there is availability, within a year of the award ticket issuance, as long as the origin/destination remains the same, correct? Do different airports within the same city count as the same origin/destination? i.e. LGA and JFK?
Old May 23, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by wiivile
My understanding is that AAdvantage awards can be date-changed an unlimited number of times, as long as there is availability, within a year of the award ticket issuance, as long as the origin/destination remains the same, correct? Do different airports within the same city count as the same origin/destination? i.e. LGA and JFK?
Your understanding is correct. Unfortunately changing co-terminals as the origin or destination will trigger the fee though.

Also keep in mind the carriers on the award also play a part in whether there's a fee or not. Changing an award that includes a non-oneworld partner carrier to an all oneworld or AA award will also incur the fee. For example, switching an award that's AS LAX-SEA to AA LAX-SEA should trigger the fee even though the O & D stays the same.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Your understanding is correct. Unfortunately changing co-terminals as the origin or destination will trigger the fee though.

Also keep in mind the carriers on the award also play a part in whether there's a fee or not. Changing an award that includes a non-oneworld partner carrier to an all oneworld or AA award will also incur the fee. For example, switching an award that's AS LAX-SEA to AA LAX-SEA should trigger the fee even though the O & D stays the same.
That is certainly a pleasant perk of AAdvantage... other carriers don't have such a liberal date-change policy. Though I'm surprised JFK and LGA, for example, would be considered a change in origin/destination, as they're the same origin/destination city - even the same borough (Queens)!
Old May 23, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I have a checked baggage question, we haven't flown AA in a long, long time.

We are flying on Business award tickets. The tickets were booked through Alaska Air, does that matter? (outbound we originate with AS, and we are Gold with them so get 2 checked bags each, but on the return we originate with AA).

My husband is also MM Gold with AA, but his AA number is not on the reservation, since we booked with AS miles. Is it enough that he just show his AA Gold card at check-in, or should we call AA and add it to the res?

Considering all this, how many bags can we check for free (2 pax, I have no AA status)?
Old May 23, 2018, 2:04 pm

At a bare minimum, even on domestic routes, 1 each. Might help if you add your routing, but you can also go to aa.com and look for the baggage allowance applicable to your travel. It should also be on the ticket receipt you were sent when booked.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
At a bare minimum, even on domestic routes, 1 each. Might help if you add your routing, but you can also go to aa.com and look for the baggage allowance applicable to your travel. It should also be on the ticket receipt you were sent when booked.
My ticket receipt is from Alaska Air. I did go on the AA website, and saw that 2 free for confirmed Business, I just didn't know if they didn't honor that if it was a mileage award ticket.

And I still don't know if just bringing my husband's LT MM AA Gold card would be sufficient, since the flights were booked under my AS number.

Our AA flight on the return originates in MIA. We are going on a long cruise so will need more than our usual one bag each. We will have 4 for sure on the outbound on Alaska Air because of our status, want to make sure it will be the same on the return.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I have a checked baggage question, we haven't flown AA in a long, long time.

We are flying on Business award tickets. The tickets were booked through Alaska Air, does that matter? (outbound we originate with AS, and we are Gold with them so get 2 checked bags each, but on the return we originate with AA).

My husband is also MM Gold with AA, but his AA number is not on the reservation, since we booked with AS miles. Is it enough that he just show his AA Gold card at check-in, or should we call AA and add it to the res?

Considering all this, how many bags can we check for free (2 pax, I have no AA status)?
Since you are in business, you can each check 2 free. The weight limit per bag is 70 lb. For business class the baggage allowance is the same for all, no matter whether you have status or not, with the exception on OneWorld Emeralds, who are allowed to check 3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.