Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old May 2, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MathMusic
Believe it or not, AA's IT holds a seat and creates a booking record for you before you get to the point where you can view the seat map. It's not obvious but that is what they are doing under the hood.

You might notice these temporary bookings briefly showing up in your AA app if you get to that point again. There is a better way of viewing the seat map I referenced above that doesn't require a partial booking to view.
Apologies for not thanking the forum sooner for the advice, but I maxed out my posts yesterday with the last attempt to post a similar picture as flymonthly posted above.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:03 pm

Where do I go through passport control PHL-MUC-HER?

Flying AA PHL-MUC then transferring to A3 MUC-HER, will I go through passport control in MUC and then fly to HER like a domestic flight, or not until I reach HER? I'm confused about the process when entering the EU and how the Schengen area works.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Marsh11
Flying AA PHL-MUC then transferring to A3 MUC-HER, will I go through passport control in MUC and then fly to HER like a domestic flight, or not until I reach HER? I'm confused about the process when entering the EU and how the Schengen area works.
In my experience, youll go through immigration and get your EU entry stamp at your port of entry, recovering your hold baggage at your EU destination. Mind you, this is if youre flying both sectors as one ticket; if on separate ticketing your checked bags will only be tagged as far as MUC. Youll have to recover and recheck them in that case.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
In my experience, youll go through immigration and get your EU entry stamp at your port of entry, recovering your hold baggage at your EU destination. Mind you, this is if youre flying both sectors as one ticket; if on separate ticketing your checked bags will only be tagged as far as MUC. Youll have to recover and recheck them in that case.
Thanks. It's all on one ticket, so I hope it goes as you've predicted!
JDiver likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Thanks. It's all on one ticket, so I hope it goes as you've predicted!
You'll definitely get your passport stamped upon arriving into MUC. You'll then head over to T2 where your A3 flight will depart from the Schengen area (i.e no passport control). On a single ticket your bags will be checked through all the way to HER.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You'll definitely get your passport stamped upon arriving into MUC. You'll then head over to T2 where your A3 flight will depart from the Schengen area (i.e no passport control). On a single ticket your bags will be checked through all the way to HER.
Great. Thanks for the explanation!
Old May 3, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Out of curiosity: a while back I flew IAD-LHR-LYS and did not go through passport control in LHR (which would be the EU port of entry, right?), only when I arrived at LYS. Why is the process for PHL-MUC-HER different?
Old May 3, 2018, 8:29 am

Out of curiosity: a while back I flew IAD-LHR-LYS and did not go through passport control in LHR (which would be the EU port of entry, right?), only when I arrived at LYS. Why is the process for PHL-MUC-HER different?
Perhaps because the United Kingdom is not a signatory to the Schengen Agreement? (But as MADPhil says below, transit is transit at LHR).
Marsh11 likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; May 3, 2018 at 10:03 am Reason: Typo! Add...
Old May 3, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
When you pass through LHR you do not enter the UK, unless you choose to. Even if you did you would still have to go through passport control at your eventual destination. The US does not provide transit facilities and everyone goes through passport control.
JDiver and Marsh11 like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia
AA EQD as tie-breaker

I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place or if this question has already been rehashed somewhere else, I haven't gotten very efficient at searching the forums yet. If I understand correctly, AA uses EQDs as a tie breaker for upgrade requests between elites with the same status. Do EDQs earned by credit card spend count in this calculation?
Old May 3, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MADPhil
When you pass through LHR you do not enter the UK, unless you choose to. Even if you did you would still have to go through passport control at your eventual destination. The US does not provide transit facilities and everyone goes through passport control.
Most countries allow passengers to transit airside at an airport without formally entering the country. For some people~countries a transit visa may be needed.
USA is very different in that everyone goes through full passport control. 1000's of people avoid transiting USA for this reason.
JDiver and Marsh11 like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum/LT Silver, AS: MVP
I have an award itinerary booked through AA where I'm flying CX F connecting to AA Y for the domestic leg ("voluntary" downgrade as they don't have any award space) - that economy leg will still allow me the full baggage allowance of CX F when I re-check after customs, right? Or am I in for a nasty surprise at the baggage counter?
Old May 3, 2018, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by goldmarch
I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place or if this question has already been rehashed somewhere else, I haven't gotten very efficient at searching the forums yet. If I understand correctly, AA uses EQDs as a tie breaker for upgrade requests between elites with the same status. Do EDQs earned by credit card spend count in this calculation?
EQDs are EQDs. EQM are EQM. Regardless of origin, theyre counted for status, etc.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ejg930
I have an award itinerary booked through AA where I'm flying CX F connecting to AA Y for the domestic leg ("voluntary" downgrade as they don't have any award space) - that economy leg will still allow me the full baggage allowance of CX F when I re-check after customs, right? Or am I in for a nasty surprise at the baggage counter?
No nasty surprises. You're flying on a First Class ticket (and some AA Eagle aircraft only offer a Coach cabin).

In any event, your bags should be checked through to your final destination, so you would just drop them at the baggage re-checking desk after Customs, not at an AA ticket counter.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: QRPC-Plat/OWE, MPC, BAEC
Hi all,

New to the AA forum, in fact just booked my first ever flight on AA, did a bit of research, didn't get the answers I needed though.

I booked BRU thru LHR to JFK, AA6748, AA6144, AA142, BA388, all in one booking, with only AA142 operated by AA itself. I have Ruby status.

1. How may bags can I check in? (The AA allowance or the BA allowance?)
2. Will it be a problem if I shortcheck one of the bags to LHR on the inbound?
3. Where can I check the booking class of my flight? (It's not available on AA manage my booking?)

Thank you!
Kelvin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.