Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by raj_cl
I booked DFW-PHL-AMS all on AA metal.
Due to delays, I was put on DFW-LHR-AMS. DFW-LHR on AA metal, and LHR-AMS on BA metal.
I got the miles for DFW-LHR, but not for LHR-AMS yet.

Before I put in the request for credit, wondering if I should ask for original routing credit, will it be more for DFW-PHL-AMS or I'm already getting a good deal on DFW-LHR-AMS?

Does AA metal vs. BA make a difference? If it has been in my disfavor, I can ask for original routing credit like it was all on AA metal.

Thanks for the help.
If you look at the physical miles -- gcmap.com is a good tool for that -- DFW-PHL-AMS is 5040, and DFW-LHR-AMS is 4982. So if you're earning 1 EQM/mile in both cases the original is better, but by a pretty small amount.

Metal doesn't matter; what matters is the flight numbers. But LHR-AMS is such a short flight that whether it's an AA or BA flight number isn't going to make a whole lot of difference.

You do need to check the actual fare classes and earnings, though. Sometimes when they rebook you you wind up in a higher-earning fare, such as Y if you were in economy. Then the new routing would definitely be better than the old. What fare class and earnings do you see for the DFW-LHR leg?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A reminder that asking for or requesting to trade any AA instrument or activity is prohibited in this forum. All such will be deleted.

Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
A reminder that asking for or requesting to trade any AA instrument or activity is prohibited in this forum. All such will be deleted.

Does that mean we can't ask for fellow travelers help in getting into (or offering a fellow traveler) a lounge (which is totally according to the rules of having a guest).

(and if the answer is yes, is that an "american airlines" board policy only?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
Does that mean we can't ask for fellow travelers help in getting into (or offering a fellow traveler) a lounge (which is totally according to the rules of having a guest).

(and if the answer is yes, is that an "american airlines" board policy only?
This forum is significantly more restrictive on offers, requests, etc. than most, if not all, others. AA is also totally excluded from The Coupon Connection forum. There are serious reasons for this state of affairs; AA has reached out and sanctioned FT members for actions, offers or requests of seemingly little concern to other airlines.

To the extent lounge access offers or requests are allowed, and again there are restrictions (including requests for access), this thread is used: Guide: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge etc. Meet Up & Guest Offer. There, requests for access, passes or guesting for oneself or others is not allowed.

Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
This forum is significantly more restrictive on offers, requests, etc. than most, if not all, others. AA is also totally excluded from The Coupon Connection forum. There are serious reasons for this state of affairs; AA has reached out and sanctioned FT members for actions, offers or requests of seemingly little concern to other airlines.

To the extent lounge access offers or requests are allowed, and again there are restrictions (including requests for access), this thread is used: Guide: Admirals Club / Flagship Lounge etc. Meet Up & Guest Offer. There, requests for access, passes or guesting for oneself or others is not allowed.

thanks for info.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:23 pm

I have a question on earning miles on a BA operated flight, when booking through AA.

I’m looking at being back in Europe in September, and looking at 2 BA flights, both in PE, both showing a fare code of P. There is no P fare code on the partner earning tables on AA.

I’d book through AA, but would fly on BA metal.

Flights are AA6143 and AA6214. Is it as simple as using the AA earning tables because they’re an AA flight number, despite being operated by BA?

Thanks, and apologies for typos, safari on iPhone and posting on forums seems particularly difficult at the moment.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:40 pm

Yes. If it’s an AA flight number, use the AA chart.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:43 pm

Thank you.

i realised as soon as I posted that, it was a simple question to answer, once you use a bit of common sense and stop trying to over think it.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by thedeeg
Thank you.

i realised as soon as I posted that, it was a simple question to answer, once you use a bit of common sense and stop trying to over think it.
It was the perfect question for the Newbie Lounge though.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by thedeeg
Thank you.

You’re welcome.

It’s often forgotten as it’s just so simple. Flight number airline is the chart to look at. If it were AA metal, but a BA flight number, then you’d look to the BA chart.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
ok so I know how to check for this years status tracker, is there any way to see what my year end EQDs and EQMs were for the previous year? Like would I be able to see how I ended up in 2017 somewhere?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EP
On the app, underneath the circle for current year qualification, u will see text showing last years totals.

Originally Posted by miadukes
ok so I know how to check for this years status tracker, is there any way to see what my year end EQDs and EQMs were for the previous year? Like would I be able to see how I ended up in 2017 somewhere?
​​​​​​​
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
On the app, underneath the circle for current year qualification, u will see text showing last years totals.

​​​​​​​
I just don't see that in my app. I pull up the app, go to where the circles are that have the EQMs and EQDs and the only thing underneath is text saying, "how to qualify?" but nothing else..????????????????
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: AA EP
Call AA then.

Originally Posted by miadukes
I just don't see that in my app. I pull up the app, go to where the circles are that have the EQMs and EQDs and the only thing underneath is text saying, "how to qualify?" but nothing else..????????????????
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Call AA then.

It's not that serious. But if you can see it I wonder what I am doing wrong, thanks for the help anyway!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.