Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:44 am

The rule for Schengen Countries is that a pax goes through immigration and customs on first arrival in the first Schengen Country,and then only goes through Emigration on departure from the last Schengen Country
That isn't right for through tickets as far as customs for checked baggage goes. If bags are checked through, they go to the final destination, and customs officers could be standing by wanting to inspect bags that don't have a green stripe on the tag. Apparently for this questioner, the bags won't be checked through because of AA policy, not because of Schengen rules.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:14 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
I have a question about the 500 miles upgrades. I didn't requalify for Platinum in 2017 so I guess I have no status from January 31 (unless I get a soft landing to Gold). I had a total of 18 upgrades (500 miles). What will happen with those upgrades? Will I lose them all or will I get them back once I qualify for either Gold or Platinum later this year?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:34 pm

Is it possible to use AA miles to book an award flight consisting of one segment on AA (or AA partner) and another segment on a non-partner airline?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Goflyer100
I have a question about the 500 miles upgrades. I didn't requalify for Platinum in 2017 so I guess I have no status from January 31 (unless I get a soft landing to Gold). I had a total of 18 upgrades (500 miles). What will happen with those upgrades? Will I lose them all or will I get them back once I qualify for either Gold or Platinum later this year?
They will remain in your account to use when/if you re-qualify for elite status. They will not expire.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by appleorange
Is it possible to use AA miles to book an award flight consisting of one segment on AA (or AA partner) and another segment on a non-partner airline?
If by non-partner airline you mean an airline on which you normally wouldn’t otherwise be able to redeem AA miles, then no. You can certainly have an award with segments on multiple airlines, including ones that are not part of Oneworld (e.g., you could have an award that is a mix of AA and AS; however, you’re not going to be able to do AA and WS or AA and UA).
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:56 am

I understand all AA redemptions for domestic / North America flights in coach don't include luggage. Do I pre-book luggage allowance online or just do it at the airport when checking in?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by hkskyline
I understand all AA redemptions for domestic / North America flights in coach don't include luggage. Do I pre-book luggage allowance online or just do it at the airport when checking in?
Just do it at the airport. If you have their credit card by Citi or Barclay/or status with AA or oneworld, your first bag fees might be waived.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Ex Plt agent voucher promise: Agent promised vouchers re involuntary downgrade. One sent, one not sent. Today a different agent stated that since the voucher was for a past flight, I would have to email CS and request the unsent voucher, the one not noted in the record. Is that correct? I was passed around from A(dis)Advantage* to the Ex Plt desk through 5 calls with varying amounts of yada yada yada. Also, how does one document that a voucher, or anything else, promised by a phone agent is marked in the record or noted somehow? In a now closed AA thread, someone mentioned having a gate agent note and sign a boarding pass (re promised denied boarding compensation) - that doesn't work on a phone call (especially when one is calling from his seat).

Thanks

Cheers -

*Kind of PO'd at the runaround I received
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by AI93
Hi everyone,

I posted in the previous year's version of this thread last year about a botched AA journey my family and I were on returning from MCO-PHL-LHR-EDI with AA in Y. In short, a 5-hour delay in MCO resulting after the airline announced they were "waiting for a part to be chartered in from CLT" resulted in us missing our connection to LHR in PHL. Our first rerouting to EDI saw our first flight to DUB cancelled due to pilot timeout, resulting in us being forced to spend two days in PHL and having to fund a hotel and all other expenses ourselves. AA have since repeatedly refused to compensate for any expenses/costs, and have since said that both flights were delayed/cancelled due to a major weather system, giving the following information:

Following advice given here on my last visit I've twice contacted the DoT to claim AA misrepresented the reason for our delays, but on both occasions they have forwarded my complaint back to AA. Most recently they have stated they have no enforcement jurisdiction over the matter and have only been able to recommend complaining privately via the courts. AA have offered 2,000 AAdvantage miles per person which, given the amount of disruption caused to our journey and the resulting lack of explanation, seems completely disproportionate!

I'm starting to think I'm chasing a lost cause here - is there any merit in pursuing this further or other avenue of complaint to go down?

Thanks for any advice.
Apologies for the repost, but any opinions on this? Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:08 am

Personally, I think it sounds like it might be a lost cause. It sounds like the delays in PHL were due to weather, in which case AA does not have an obligation to reimburse you. It sounds like the delay in MCO, which resulted in you being stuck in PHL, might have been due to a mechanical (and would be AA’s fault)—but unfortunately without any documentation that the first flight was delayed due to a mechanical problem, it’s going to be an uphill battle. Next time, it would be a good idea to ask the gate agent in MCO for a printout that indicates the delay was a mechanical delay, especially if it looks like weather down the line might be an issue. Additionally, a sympathetic agent in PHL might have been able to give you a hotel voucher at the time.

I think the best course of action now is to see if the credit card that you used for the tickets has any travel delay protection (many of the travel credit cards do). That, I think, will be your best shot at recouping some of your out-of-pocket expenses without a protracted (and potentially costly) battle.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Does AA have a similar scheme to UA, where a non US resident has a waiver in earning a higher elite status with out a minimum spend of PQD?

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...r/qualify.aspx
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Does AA have a similar scheme to UA, where a non US resident has a waiver in earning a higher elite status with out a minimum spend of PQD?

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/con...r/qualify.aspx
No.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
What was the flight # and date of your MCO-PHL flight?

ETA: I though I might be able to look it up on EF, but it seems that it only lets me go back to 12/31 with flight status and details.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:30 am

Will AA check bags through to the final destination on one ticket? I booked RDU-JFK-ICN on Korean Air's website. RDU to JFK is showing AA as the airline (operated by Trans-States Airlines) and JFK-ICN is KE. Does AA only check bags through with their oneworld partners? And if I do have to recollect and recheck my bags will there be enough time at JFK to do so? (2 hours, need to go from T8 to T1). This is one ticket. Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Aadvantage
My usual route with AA is from PHX to ORD and now for the past two weeks or so when I book my ticket (usually the cheapest available fare) I get a screen pop up that says Basic Economy, which is (no overhead carry-on, no assigned seating, etc.). I can choose Main Cabin for what's often an 800% surcharge to get what I used to get for the Basic Economy fare. So now a $52 fare that used to include an overhead now costs $450.

I've avoided going for status because the benefits weren't worth it to me. I don't normally check bags and don't care when I board. I DO however, care about having access to an overhead and knowing I have an assigned seat! So NOW is it worth it for me to obtain status?

It's all so complicated. I can get a Citi Card that will give me some advantages like earning 1 mile for every $1 spent (and 2 miles for every $1 spent fares), but does this give me access to overhead? Does this make any fare available for seat assignment? Should I do a Gold Challenge? Sign up for the credit card? Or both?

Btw- I'm such a noob that I don't even understand what 90% of the acronyms you guys use stand for. I'm also not quite sure how or why I need to know what the booking class code is (A,T,D,I,R,Y,W,B, etc.). This is incredibly confusing to someone who just uses American to get from PHX to ORD and back about once a month or so. I don't have a company paying for my travel, so I'd like to be as economical as possible. But it seems to me that AA just became like Spirit where they're going to start charging me for every little extra thing. Until now, I've tried to remain loyal to AA and am trying to decide it that still makes sense. But if they're going to be just like Spirit to me, I may as well just book the cheapest fare available.

I'd appreciate any advice on what to do. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.