Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, GA Gold, CX Green
[2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

My 3000 EQDs, 3500 EQMs, and Segments reseted to 0.

This is confusing to me because I'm new to AA. I was a CX member before, and miles doesn't reset on Jan 1st of the year. I joined AA on Oct 2017 (after getting tired of CXs revamped MPC earning system), earned my Gold status on Dec 20, 2017-- And I still have excess EQMs and EQDs as of yesterday (Dec 31). So did they all just go to waste after midnight of Dec 31 2017?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BB8Dreamliner

This is confusing to me because I'm new to AA. I was a CX member before, and miles doesn't reset on Jan 1st of the year. I joined AA on Oct 2017 (after getting tired of CXs revamped MPC earning system), earned my Gold status on Dec 20, 2017-- And I still have excess EQMs and EQDs as of yesterday (Dec 31). So did they all just go to waste after midnight of Dec 31 2017?
Short answer is 'Yes'. Status earning resets on Jan 1st of each year (though status is good through Jan 31st of the following year).

So for 2018, you now start the year as Gold (that's what you ended 2017 as) and have the entire year to qualify for whatever status you will attain.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
Short answer is 'Yes'. Status earning resets on Jan 1st of each year (though status is good through Jan 31st of the following year).

So for 2018, you now start the year as Gold (that's what you ended 2017 as) and have the entire year to qualify for whatever status you will attain.
Ahhh Thanks. But so sad, I could earn Plat with all my ticketed flights in January. So close...

Still find it hard to chew that they restart everything on the first day of the year rather than on the date that you enrolled on. Didn't know I only had less than 3 months to earn my status when I enrolled :
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Ahhh Thanks. But so sad, I could earn Plat with all my ticketed flights in January. So close...

Still find it hard to chew that they restart everything on the first day of the year rather than on the date that you enrolled on. Didn't know I only had less than 3 months to earn my status when I enrolled :
Afaik, you can earn Platinum with all your ticketed flights in January. Even if you mean you could have earned Platinum in four months, you still might be able to... if you’ve not challenged for status in the previous five years. See HELP DESK & FAQ: Gold and Platinum status Challenge as of 2017.

I’m sure there are other quirks that distinguish American’s FFP from others’. Now that you’re here and have found the forum, we’ve probably got those covered here.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:41 pm

Fell short last year due to my job. Had next to no days for travel so I just saved up cash. Seriously going to focus on hitting EXP this year. Currently have Platinum which gets me decent upgrades flying out of OMA.

I have about 50k worth of miles of trips already on the schedule so I need another 50k in mileage runs. Is Google Flight Multi-city and ITA the best tools for this? Most websties that do have great AA deals tend to be out of CLT, DFW, or some other major hub so I always have to factor in cost to get my butt there first.
Marsh11 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
AA182 connecting AA2281 at LAX
I will have a 5 hour stay at LAX and I am unfamiliar with USA airports and LAX. AA182 Arrives at TB but no terminal has been set for AA2281 to leave from.
I am Flying in business (D) and OneWorld Emerald with QF) so should have access to a good lounge. From what I understand the flagship lounge is in T4. What lounge options are in what terminals and does it really take an hour to get between terminals.'
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott

AA has the same membership qualification year (calendar year) for everyone, unlike CX. Another key difference is once you reach gold (MPC Silver, OWS), your current progress won't be reset like CX's.

However, unlike CX's system where you could play the "remove MPC number" trick, the rollover system does not work for AA. As such, your 2018 activities will bee reset to 0 on Jan 1, 2019. (so 2017's was reset on Jan 1, 2018)

Please also be aware that certain Y tickets on CX flights earn no AA credits. And if you completely give up MPC SL, earning AA gold won't allow you to enter CX's J lounges (which is permitted for MPC SL.)

Last edited by andersonCooper; Jan 1, 2018 at 9:04 pm
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Lucky_man
AA182 connecting AA2281 at LAX
I will have a 5 hour stay at LAX and I am unfamiliar with USA airports and LAX. AA182 Arrives at TB but no terminal has been set for AA2281 to leave from.
I am Flying in business (D) and OneWorld Emerald with QF) so should have access to a good lounge. From what I understand the flagship lounge is in T4. What lounge options are in what terminals and does it really take an hour to get between terminals.'
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
You will process immigration and customs at TBIT, drop checked bags at the counter and emerge in the TBIT arrivals lobby. At that point youll probably want to process security at the entry to the TBIT airside connector, as described here: LAX AA T-4 - TBIT secure airside connector (open Feb 2016)

From there its an easy Walk to the TBIT Qantas First Lounge or oneworld Business Lounge, or to the AA Flagship Lounge in Terminal 4 using the airside connector (5-10 minutes airside).(Id head to the QF First Lounge straightaway as Emerald.)

There is another lounge in Terminal 5 if your flight should leave from there, and yet another, smaller lounge in the remote American Eagle / regional terminal (connected to 4 and 5 by Shuttle busses airside).

LAX / Los Angeles Int'l. Terminal 4 Flagship Lounge (master thread)

LAX / Los Angeles TBIT / Bradley Intl. oneworld Lounges (master thread)
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Question I haven't seen posted here yet. When an EVIP (SWU, miles/copay, BXP1) is processed, does the underlying ticket fare class become available again? My girlfriend and I are traveling JFK/LAX — me on business ticket (I class), her on coach with a BXP1 — and I'm trying to get us into first class, for which I'd need to upfare her to business. J7 D7 I0 for our date of travel, so wondering if I processed a BXP1 on my I class ticket if it'd return the inventory. Gut says no, but an EXP agent said something to a similar degree. Or I can just wait and hope the price drops .
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
Terminals and Lounges at LAX

To help me understand - the airside domestic and international departures is the same space so the same lounge can be for domestic and international flights ? So that is how I could access QF lounge on a domestic leg.
Thanks the response has been very helpful.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Lucky_man
To help me understand - the airside domestic and international departures is the same space so the same lounge can be for domestic and international flights ? So that is how I could access QF lounge on a domestic leg.
Thanks the response has been very helpful.
Correct. There's an airside walkway between TBIT and Terminal 4, allowing you to go between the domestic (T4, T5) and the international terminals. See the "terminal connector" areas on the LAX map. There are signs in the terminals directing you where to walk to get to each terminal.

I think I misread your question . AA uses T4 and T5 for their domestic flights and an increasing amount of international flights (if not all their flagship routes). Though because of the airside connection to TBIT, you can walk there to the QF lounge without needing to clear security each time.

Last edited by potus18; Jan 1, 2018 at 11:56 pm
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:02 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by potus18
Question I haven't seen posted here yet. When an EVIP (SWU, miles/copay, BXP1) is processed, does the underlying ticket fare class become available again? My girlfriend and I are traveling JFK/LAX me on business ticket (I class), her on coach with a BXP1 and I'm trying to get us into first class, for which I'd need to upfare her to business. J7 D7 I0 for our date of travel, so wondering if I processed a BXP1 on my I class ticket if it'd return the inventory. Gut says no, but an EXP agent said something to a similar degree. Or I can just wait and hope the price drops .
Just like with award/upgrade inventory, not necessarily. When an award or revenue ticket is cancelled, it doesn't necessarily mean that the original fare/award/upgrade bucket will return automatically. AA's revenue management system will crunch the numbers to determine what happens with the extra space.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
Just like with award/upgrade inventory, not necessarily. When an award or revenue ticket is cancelled, it doesn't necessarily mean that the original fare/award/upgrade bucket will return automatically. AA's revenue management system will crunch the numbers to determine what happens with the extra space.
^ ty! What I assumed much appreciated.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
I have a question on the award booking - I remember previously we are not allowed to get upgraded on the award booking even if we are EXP, but does this mean the new AAdvantage program now allows the upgrade on the award booking? Is the allowance applicable only for domestic routes? How we can get upgraded on long routes such as, e.g. CDG - PHL? Thank you!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Afaik, you can earn Platinum with all your ticketed flights in January. Even if you mean you could have earned Platinum in four months, you still might be able to... if youve not challenged for status in the previous five years.
Sadly, I'm currently doing a Platinum challenge that ends in Feb 2018, however the bulk of my EQMs and EQDs are from CX J KULSFO roundtrip, which do not count towards the challenge because CX is not AA's joint venture partner. I'm 1.1k Short of EQDs for Plat Challenge, but good for EQM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.