Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:30 am

If I'm flying AA Flyover-ORD-NRT in a few weeks, do I need to check in and drop bags at Flyover by the domestic cutoff or the international cutoff? It's never been an issue before because I show up by the international cutoff and pass the time in the AC. But the Flyover-ORD leg is already rather early, and I don't really want to arrive at the airport at 3AM.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:57 pm

Is there a trick to using the Aadvantage miles?

First of all, forgive me. I am new to these boards and don't know all the abbreviations, plus my question may be silly. So here's the story: I was offered an Aviator card on one of my flights. We were told that we would get 60,000 miles and no annual fee and that would be enough to go to Europe and back. Well, there was a fee. Four phone calls later, I still had to pay the fee, but they gave me extra miles to compensate. I used the card and was excited to be able to fly to Geneva for free on my upcoming trip. No. The only flights I could find were multiple connections with huge layover times. I spent hours trying to figure it out. I finally bought my tickets on United and called it a day. I thought I had just picked a bad route for American Airlines. I then looked to see if AA has a direct flight to Milan. Yes, they did!! All excited, I went online to book a flight to Milan. When I said I was using my miles, there were no direct flights even listed. All the flights were like the ones to Geneva (multiple stops, long layovers... just a misery to experience). <br />So, this brings me to my question. Is there a way to use these miles and not have to spend days traveling or have I just been scammed and I own tens of thousands of useless miles. I can't imagine that this is the case since so many people collect these miles too. Please tell me the secret to using these points and flying directly to Europe.<br />Thank you!!!<br />Lori
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bilezmom
First of all, forgive me. I am new to these boards and don't know all the abbreviations, plus my question may be silly. So here's the story: I was offered an Aviator card on one of my flights. We were told that we would get 60,000 miles and no annual fee and that would be enough to go to Europe and back. Well, there was a fee. Four phone calls later, I still had to pay the fee, but they gave me extra miles to compensate. I used the card and was excited to be able to fly to Geneva for free on my upcoming trip. No. The only flights I could find were multiple connections with huge layover times. I spent hours trying to figure it out. I finally bought my tickets on United and called it a day. I thought I had just picked a bad route for American Airlines. I then looked to see if AA has a direct flight to Milan. Yes, they did!! All excited, I went online to book a flight to Milan. When I said I was using my miles, there were no direct flights even listed. All the flights were like the ones to Geneva (multiple stops, long layovers... just a misery to experience). <br />So, this brings me to my question. Is there a way to use these miles and not have to spend days traveling or have I just been scammed and I own tens of thousands of useless miles. I can't imagine that this is the case since so many people collect these miles too. Please tell me the secret to using these points and flying directly to Europe.<br />Thank you!!!<br />Lori
Welcome to FT!

You need to tell us what your home city is: there are no direct flights to Europe from Toledo, Ohio; there are lots from AA hubs like JFK, PHL, MIA, etc.

AA has different tiers of award seats. The cheapest are "MileSAAver" seats which are capacity controlled, and therefore not always available. You should almost always be able to find an "AAnytime" award seat, but they require lots of miles; on popular routes, MileSAAver award seats can be hard to find.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:12 pm

Dear Guy,
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I live close to Miami, so I was astonished to have the problem I experienced. Yes, I was using MilesAAver. There were plenty of options, but they were all very long trips with long layovers. Are you saying that AAnytime seats would have direct routes??
Again, thank you so much
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dear Guy,
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I live close to Miami, so I was astonished to have the problem I experienced. Yes, I was using MilesAAver. There were plenty of options, but they were all very long trips with long layovers. Are you saying that AAnytime seats would have direct routes??
Again, thank you so much
AAnytime award seats should always be available, as long as a flight still has seats available for sale.

If you're not too particular about where you fly to in Europe, you can search for other cities to which AA offers nonstop service from MIA, and hope to find a nonstop that has SAAver award availability. Google "MIA airport wiki" to see a list of all nonstop destinations served by AA from MIA. What time of year were you hoping to travel?

And it's "Guv," not "Guy."
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:20 pm

Dear Guv,
I'm so sorry about your name. Since my flights to Geneva are done, I don't have any specific time of the year for my next trip. Why do you ask??
Lori
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dear Guv,
I'm so sorry about your name. Since my flights to Geneva are done, I don't have any specific time of the year for my next trip. Why do you ask??
Lori
MileSAAver award seats are typically scarce during particularly popular travel periods when an airline can expect to sell lots of seats for high cash prices. SAAver seats to Europe can be scarce during the Summer, for example, when school is out. During less popular travel times, SAAver award seats might be easier to find, especially for travel on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, for example, which are considered slower travel days. The aa.com website can display availability for a month at a time.

Also, some AA flights operate less than seven days a week; that might account for no availability at all on certain days if you've restricted your award search to nonstops.

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 16, 2018 at 3:36 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:42 pm

Thank you Guv! I will renew my search once I have some plans in mind. I will aim for off season and try my best to travel on a Tuesday or Wednesday. I will look online for the direct flights. I am relieved. Thank you so much!
Lori
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you Guv! I will renew my search once I have some plans in mind. I will aim for off season and try my best to travel on a Tuesday or Wednesday. I will look online for the direct flights. I am relieved. Thank you so much!
Lori
You're welcome! Don't forget that your AA miles can also be used for domestic travel. And, since you are a Barclays/AA credit-card holder, you might be able to take advantage of one of the periodic "reduced-mileage-award destinations" available to cardholders. More info here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...age-awards.jsp
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
I have tried searching but was not able to find if this was already covered...

Looking to burn some left-over Avios for a flight from West Coast to Hawaii in July. So I searched and found plenty AASaver space from SFO area - OGG, connecting through LAX. So, naturally, I searched LAX to OGG, only to see NO availability at all (aside from going back to SFO to catch the Alaskan flight on some days).

Is this normal? That AASaver space is available only if connecting from another city (and effectively preventing me from booking it via Avios)?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lazarev
I have tried searching but was not able to find if this was already covered...

Looking to burn some left-over Avios for a flight from West Coast to Hawaii in July. So I searched and found plenty AASaver space from SFO area - OGG, connecting through LAX. So, naturally, I searched LAX to OGG, only to see NO availability at all (aside from going back to SFO to catch the Alaskan flight on some days).

Is this normal? That AASaver space is available only if connecting from another city (and effectively preventing me from booking it via Avios)?
This is called "married-segment" availability, and recent reports indicate that AA seems to be making greater use of it.

FYI: AS currently flies SAN-OGG, and will be starting LAX-OGG service in April.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
does anyone know where/what gate VIRT in LAX is ? flying LAX-SEA AA6047 and my app just updated to gate VIRT
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Amil
does anyone know where/what gate VIRT in LAX is ? flying LAX-SEA AA6047 and my app just updated to gate VIRT
There is not a virtual gate. Afaik that’s just a placeholder. There will be a gate assignment eventually, though it could be a bus gate, etc.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
This is called "married-segment" availability, and recent reports indicate that AA seems to be making greater use of it.

FYI: AS currently flies SAN-OGG, and will be starting LAX-OGG service in April.
Gary Leff posted about this. He said that if you see this, you should book the full married segment itinerary online, then call AA and drop the segment(s) you don't want. As long as your origin and destination remain in the same zones as they were previously, it won't reprice and should be easy to do.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Gary Leff posted about this. He said that if you see this, you should book the full married segment itinerary online, then call AA and drop the segment(s) you don't want. As long as your origin and destination remain in the same zones as they were previously, it won't reprice and should be easy to do.
There's a thread specifically about married segments on awards, and there are some recent indications that you may no longer be allowed to drop a segment if only married-segment inventory is available.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...egments-3.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.