Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Mamarama
Thunderlounge, thanks so much for taking the time to provide the detailed info. Great stuff! The Chase Sapphire looks like the right fit for me. Hoping to get in some international leisure travel once I get in the groove of this new life.
You're welcome. If you're going to get a travel card, do your homework first and find what best fits your needs/patterns.

Originally Posted by guv1976
If you don't need all the bells and whistles that the Chase Sapphire Reserve offers, the much cheaper Capital One Venture card also offers TSA-Pre√ or Global Entry fee reimbursement.
It does, yes. Although I find that about the only appealing thing offered. Mainly because no matter what you do, their points are fixed at a 1˘ redemption rate, and you can't transfer out to any partners. Which I suppose is the appeal for some people, as it's pretty straight forward and makes understanding the redemption simple.

If the Sapphire Reserve is more than needed, the Sapphire Preferred offers very similar benefits, without the $300 travel credit, or GE reimbursement. Still offers primary auto rental insurance, which can be a big plus for a lot of people.
Mamarama likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: American Aadvantage
Originally Posted by Lucky_man
AA182 connecting AA2281 at LAX
I will have a 5 hour stay at LAX and I am unfamiliar with USA airports and LAX. AA182 Arrives at TB but no terminal has been set for AA2281 to leave from.
I am Flying in business (D) and OneWorld Emerald with QF) so should have access to a good lounge. From what I understand the flagship lounge is in T4. What lounge options are in what terminals and does it really take an hour to get between terminals.'
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
American's main terminal for domestic flights is Terminal 4, right next to the Tom Bradley International Terminal (and connecting via an inside walkway). 5-minute walk once you clear customs.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I'm trying to change my seat on a flight that departs tomorrow in about 25 hours, AA 348. The app gives me the option to change my seat but returns an error when I selected it. The website has the change seat button grayed out. I called reservations 2x and two agents said the flight was under airport control and they could do nothing. I have never seen a flight under airport control 24 hours before departure. What gives?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:48 pm

Just wanted to pop in and thank those of you that answered my initial question. I ended up transferring my UR into Avios and booking via the BA site. Once I figured out how to look up the route(s) I was seeking, it was easy. That was the difficult part for me - finding the right search screen to use.
JDiver and guv1976 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Hilton Diamond
I'm a Newbie on FT needing some help with a multi-city trip to Hawaii from TUL and trying to determine the best way to book it. Itinerary will be TUL - KOA on 12-16-18, then KOA - HNL on 12-21-18 with a return from HNL - TUL departing on 12-25-18. It's for a total of 8 tickets, of which 5 are immediate family including myself and remaining 3 are extended family. I have ~522k miles & 22 upgrade stickers to use and will purchase the remaining tickets that miles won't cover on my Aviator Red card so I can get EQD credit. I'm AA Plat Pro and also have Citi Executive card. Is this the best way to maximize spend, miles and upgrade potential? Guess I'm not eligible for upgrades on award tickets since I'm only Plat Pro? Will I get main cabin extra for everyone since I'm booking & paying for all tickets? Sorry if this isn't the correct thread for this question. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:31 pm

Hello All,

New to the forums. I've searched a bit and had trouble finding my answer.

I booked BE ORD to VCE. I'm planning to only travel with carry on, so I chose not to "upgrade" to economy.

I am traveling with my girlfriend, and wanted to know the best way to go about sitting next to each other. I looked at both the BE and economy, and neither had 2 seats available next to each other minus the MCE seats and preferred seats (140 and 92$ respectively). I prefer not to spend $360 between the two of us for seats.

Any ideas on how to do that? I've read that 48 hours before flight the seats open, or go to the kiosk 2.5 hours before flight was also recomendend. Anyone with experience getting a decent seat 48hours before?

Or perhaps would getting an AA credit card help us at all in this situation?

appreciate any ideas
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ls7roadster
I'm a Newbie on FT needing some help with a multi-city trip to Hawaii from TUL and trying to determine the best way to book it. Itinerary will be TUL - KOA on 12-16-18, then KOA - HNL on 12-21-18 with a return from HNL - TUL departing on 12-25-18. It's for a total of 8 tickets, of which 5 are immediate family including myself and remaining 3 are extended family. I have ~522k miles & 22 upgrade stickers to use and will purchase the remaining tickets that miles won't cover on my Aviator Red card so I can get EQD credit. I'm AA Plat Pro and also have Citi Executive card. Is this the best way to maximize spend, miles and upgrade potential? Guess I'm not eligible for upgrades on award tickets since I'm only Plat Pro? Will I get main cabin extra for everyone since I'm booking & paying for all tickets? Sorry if this isn't the correct thread for this question. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
It's unclear what you mean by upgrade potential, as you mentioned if your ticket is booked as an award then as PLT Pro you can't request any upgrades.

If you're going to book a few tickets using cash anyways for family members, you might as well make that your ticket, so you will at least earn a few miles and be able to request upgrades for yourself and a companion.

And you can get everyone seated with you in MCE, even if they are on awards and separate PNRs, but you have to call AA once everything is booked to do this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:48 am

Is there a way to lock down a seat assignment? Someone in my company's travel area keeps changing my seat for an upcoming flight. And it's getting progressively worse and worse. Clearly, contacting them is going nowhere. Can agents shut down that seat jockeying? I realize a seat can change due to equipment changes, but that has not been the case so far.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
Is there a way to lock down a seat assignment? Someone in my company's travel area keeps changing my seat for an upcoming flight. And it's getting progressively worse and worse. Clearly, contacting them is going nowhere. Can agents shut down that seat jockeying? I realize a seat can change due to equipment changes, but that has not been the case so far.
If you use Concur and select a preferred seat that you don't have status for I have noticed a similar issue. Selecting your seat via https://seatselect.aa.com/ may help you out.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
If you buy a refundable ticket with gift cards/vouchers, then cancel and request a refund, how will the refund be paid out? Will the portion of the ticket paid for in vouchers be refunded as a voucher only?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by MathMusic
If you use Concur and select a preferred seat that you don't have status for I have noticed a similar issue. Selecting your seat via https://seatselect.aa.com/ may help you out.
Thank you. I was just using my regular AA account to make the seat changes. I hope this will be the last time I have to change it.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mcrw00
If you buy a refundable ticket with gift cards/vouchers, then cancel and request a refund, how will the refund be paid out? Will the portion of the ticket paid for in vouchers be refunded as a voucher only?
Yep, refunds generally go back to the original form of payment. The gift card or voucher portion will be refunded in the form of another GC or voucher.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia
Would someone be willing to explain to me the difference between a stopover and a multi city ticket? I often read in the forums about fares that allow stopovers, but I'm not sure how to search for this using GF. If I want to stop somewhere en route, I use the multi city function of GF and plug in the days that I which to depart each leg. I fear that I am missing something.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
It seems that QR flies DOH-RAK via CMN, but returns RAK-DOH direct. While RAK-DOH shows up on BA search engine, DOH-CMN-RAK does not on the dates I looked. Is it possible to book USA-DOH-CMN-RAK on one QR award?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:57 am

Estimated delay time inconsistent

Hi,

Can anyone help me understand how to interpret delay information? This is specifically about AA4240 CLE-DCA on July 17, but I'm curious in general, too.

AA itself sent me an alert that the departure was changed from 5:20pm to 6:08pm and at the moment, that's what they still show. On the other hand, I got an alert from TripIt showing this flight as departing at 7:09pm. Kayak also said 7:09pm.

How would TripIt know something that AA itself doesn't know?

I looked on EF and saw that they show 6:08pm but also have this interesting "comments" bit. Can someone explain where that comes from and why different sources are showing different departure times? Who should I trust?

Just looked at FlightAware and it says 6:27pm. Seems like every site has its own opinion (or guess).

UPDATE: ...and now it's back to the originally scheduled time Still curious about this topic, though.

Last edited by Marsh11; Jul 17, 2018 at 5:24 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.