Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

With no status you run a high risk of getting a middle seat unless you pay for the type of seat you want.
OK, thanks. Decided to pay for an exit row then. Appreciate the response.
JDiver and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:18 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

(Sorry, newbie question, even though I fly AA all the time and feel confident about my knowledge of the program)

Award ticket reinstate question:
Booked a trip for me (ExPlat) and 2 others (no status) on one PNR using my account. I am debating changing to a different route due to better options now (cancel/reinstate and book the new flights on a new PNR since I don't see how to change an award flight).

AA.com says there is a $150 for the first, plus $25 for each additional passenger, but it's waived for ExPlat members using miles from their account. Can I cancel all of our flights since we're on one PNR without penalty or will I face the fees for the 2 others on my reservation?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CX DM, DL Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Plat
Hello,

I have a Business Extra Upgrade one-way upgrade certificate (BXP3) for international travel from North America to everywhere other than India excluding fares booked in B, N, O, Q, S that expires at the end of the month. I am not traveling and would to donate it to someone.

PS: Mods, please let me know if this is not the right place for this or if you want to distribute this cert. I would hate to see it go to waste.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by JackDaniels
Hello,

I have a Business Extra Upgrade one-way upgrade certificate (BXP3) for international travel from North America to everywhere other than India excluding fares booked in B, N, O, Q, S that expires at the end of the month. I am not traveling and would to donate it to someone.

PS: Mods, please let me know if this is not the right place for this or if you want to distribute this cert. I would hate to see it go to waste.
Please use this thread: SWU giveaway (strictly freely given - no quid pro quo)
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CX DM, DL Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Plat
Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
(Sorry, newbie question, even though I fly AA all the time and feel confident about my knowledge of the program)

Booked a trip for me (ExPlat) and 2 others (no status) on one PNR using my account. I am debating changing to a different route due to better options now (cancel/reinstate and book the new flights on a new PNR since I don't see how to change an award flight).

AA.com says there is a $150 for the first, plus $25 for each additional passenger, but it's waived for ExPlat members using miles from their account. Can I cancel all of our flights since we're on one PNR without penalty or will I face the fees for the 2 others on my reservation?
To the best of my knowledge all fees are waived since award was issued from your ExPlat account. Are you being told differently by a telephone agent?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

I’d check https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ancel-etc.html to see if those route changes can’t be done without redepositing your awards.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

You cannot change awards online, you have to call. If it's just a simple routing change (and not a change to the award type) then that's especially easily, just give AA a call and it will save you the trouble of having to cancel your existing awards, miles redeposit, having to wait for the taxes to be refunded, etc.

But to answer your question, if you were to cancel, the miles redeposit fee would be waived for all 3 awards since the miles came from your EXP account. You can cancel online, but you still have to call AA to process the miles redeposit and tax refund.
JDiver and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
On a recent booking of a transatlantic flight in Basic Eco, I was surprised to get assigned a MCE seat. I am merely OW Sapphire (not with AA but BA). The flight in question was AA150 (booked under a BA codeshare).

The seat they assigned me during booking is 20D. Do they really give Sapphires MCE at the time of booking, even when booking Basic Economy? Or is the seat map shown to me somehow messed up?

I am a bit confused as the seatmap on AA.com differs from the one on Seatguru.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by 1flyer
On a recent booking of a transatlantic flight in Basic Eco, I was surprised to get assigned a MCE seat. I am merely OW Sapphire (not with AA but BA). The flight in question was AA150 (booked under a BA codeshare).

The seat they assigned me during booking is 20D. Do they really give Sapphires MCE at the time of booking, even when booking Basic Economy? Or is the seat map shown to me somehow messed up?

I am a bit confused as the seatmap on AA.com differs from the one on Seatguru.
First off, seatguru is way outdated and borderline worthless when it comes to AA widebody equipment. I wouldn't waste any more time worrying about what config seatguru says compared to aa.com.

As to your seat, it is strange to get MCE at booking, are you positive you booked a true Basic Economy fare? I'm guessing the BA codeshare somehow confused the system. BE fares on TATL flights are still relatively new, so seating reports like this are still limited.
1flyer likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:47 am

For reasons known only to AA, I got the offer of three months of Platinum Pro. While there is no chance I'll retain that status, I'll be reserving a couple reward trips for the first part of 2019 this summer. My temporary status give me access to seats in main cabin extra. Will it matter if my status is history by the time the trip actually takes place?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by bayleys
For reasons known only to AA, I got the offer of three months of Platinum Pro. While there is no chance I'll retain that status, I'll be reserving a couple reward trips for the first part of 2019 this summer. My temporary status give me access to seats in main cabin extra. Will it matter if my status is history by the time the trip actually takes place?
Usually your seats won't be change even if your status expires. However, when there's AC swap, you might need to pick new seats where MCE won't be free anymore.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
deleted

Last edited by 1flyer; Dec 11, 2018 at 1:26 am
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
My wife bought 3 F tickets for us for 6/30-7/6
now she wants to fly sooner and return 7/6, but my son and I would still fly 6/30-7/6

what are our options for this?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:37 pm

Call AA and find out what the charge fee and any fare difference there might be.

Originally Posted by gaobest
My wife bought 3 F tickets for us for 6/30-7/6
now she wants to fly sooner and return 7/6, but my son and I would still fly 6/30-7/6

what are our options for this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.