Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
Hi all,

Just a quick one, first time on the AA forum
and planning a bit of US Domestic flying.

Will AA feed me a proper meal on Boston - LAX in Economy? I'm thinking no but not sure how the food policy works for transcon.

Thanks,
It’s debatable if even the domestic F meal is any good. I would definitely advise bringing something appealing on board purchased at the airport or wherever.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Phone AA and ask?
Do you have mid or top status? You may have to pay $$ for BA seat selection (even in business class)
Look here BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers - charges, seating, award, etc.
From the wiki
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
If you look under my trips, then look where your seat should be for BA, it should have a link to the BA site. When you click to go over there, it should show you the BA record locator once you’re on the BA site. At that point you can eother pick a seat (if you have status high enough to allow), or pay to select a seat.
Thanks both. I don't have the link to the BA website for some reason, so calling AA might be my best (only?) option. No status, just burning through some miles, but more than happy to pay to avoid the prospect of ten hours stuck in a middle seat!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:58 pm

It’s not linked from the seat assignments page for that flight? Odd. I have a. BA codeshare coming up and it’s on mine.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Y29M

Thanks both. I don't have the link to the BA website for some reason, so calling AA might be my best (only?) option. No status, just burning through some miles, but more than happy to pay to avoid the prospect of ten hours stuck in a middle seat!
Use Twitter to DM <at> sign AmericanAir.
Y29M likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Oneworld Emerald
I hope this is the right place, I've searched as much as I can but not sure any of the results would have has the answer.

I've booked the following itinerary in Economy with AA, all on AA codes.

AUS-LAX-SAN (AA /American Eagle)
SAN--LAX-SEA (American Eagle)

SEA-YVR (AlaskaHorizon on an AA code)

As an OWE (BA Gold) I know I get baggage included for me and my companion, but the last leg on the Alaska Q400 is not clear at all. The E-Ticket reciept implies free baggage all the way through

"Baggage charges for your itinerary will be governed by American Airlines BAG ALLOWANCE -AUSYVR-No free checked bags/ American Airlines 1STCHECKED BAG FEE-AUSYVR-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 70 POUNDS/32 KILOGRA MS AND UP TO 62 LINEAR INCHES/158 LINEAR CENTIMETERS 2NDCHECKED BAG FEE-AUSYVR-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 70 POUNDS/32 KILOGRA MS AND UP TO 62 LINEAR INCHES/158 LINEAR CENTIMETERS

CARRY ON ALLOWANCE AUSLAX LAXSAN SANLAX LAXSEA-02 Pieces/ American Airlines 01/UP TO 40 LINEAR INCHES/101 LINEAR CENTIMETERS 01/UP TO 45 LINEAR INCHES/115 LINEAR CENTIMETERS SEAYVR-01 Piece/AS 01/CARRY ON HAND BAGGAGE CARRY ON CHARGES SEAYVR-AS CARRY ON HAND BAGGAGE-USD0.00 ADDITIONAL ALLOWANCES AND/OR DISCOUNTS MAY APPLY EMBARGOES-APPLY TO EACH PASSENGER AUSLAX LAXSAN SANLAX LAXSEA-AA OVER 100 POUNDS/45 KILOGRAMS NOT PERMITTED"

However the second paragraph doesn't exist on my companions itinerary, which was issued separatly to my own, despite being booked together.

On his itinerary is only:

"Baggage charges for your itinerary will be governed by American Airlines BAG ALLOWANCE -AUSYVR-No free checked bags/ American Airlines 1STCHECKED BAG FEE-AUSYVR-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM 2NDCHECKED BAG FEE-AUSYVR-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM ADDITIONAL ALLOWANCES AND/OR DISCOUNTS MAY APPLY"

Will we have to pay any charges on any part of the trip do you think? We'll have a case each for the hold.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:38 am

How to book main cabin extra at time of booking?

I don't see a way to book MCE at time of booking. I can see the seats but I see no way to select them. Fares only showed Main Cabin and First. There was no far listed for MCE. This was for a short hop from RDU-JFK. The only reason I'd consider MCE is that on the dates I chose, there was only 1 seat left in Main cabin and I am booking for 2 people.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Amb
Originally Posted by zitsky
I don't see a way to book MCE at time of booking. I can see the seats but I see no way to select them. Fares only showed Main Cabin and First. There was no far listed for MCE. This was for a short hop from RDU-JFK. The only reason I'd consider MCE is that on the dates I chose, there was only 1 seat left in Main cabin and I am booking for 2 people.
You go through the initial part of the booking as a Main Cabin fare, then when you get to the seat selection process, you select the MCE seats and it will tell you how much additional they will cost (assuming you do not have status which would grant them for free).
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Aadvantage program
Flight advice with redeeming miles

Long time member, first time post. I have been saving American Airline miles for a very long time in hope of using them for my 5 year wedding anniversary and I have a few questions. Please be gentle on me. My wife’s dream has been to go to Budapest. Ideally I would like to leave Southern California ( SNA or LAX ) on Friday May 17th 2019 and return on Sunday June 2nd 2019. I have enough miles for both my wife and I to fly Business / First Mile Saaver at 57.5K if a flight is available. I know that American Airlines begins to offer awarded travel flights 331 in advance which would make the first day to redeem miles for a departure date on May 17th 2019 on this upcoming Wednesday. My first question is when should I get the airline ticket? If something is available on Wednesday should I grab it regardless of the class? I have been following the weeks earlier ( March – May 2019 ) and not much is available in terms of flights in any class and that makes me a little nervous. Does American Airlines usually release more mileage awarded travel closer to the departure date or wants it gone, its gone?

I really appreciate any advice that you can give me.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by threeplateman
As long as your original routing does not change, i.e. origin destination airport, and all carriers remain within one world, you will be able to change the travel dates and flights as many times as you want within the ticket validity period of one year from the date of issue. You can still change after that period by reissuing the ticket for a reissue fee.

So, as soon as you know your dates and plans, you have nothing to lose by booking one ticket or both tickets as soon as they are available. You can then monitor availability and get the second ticket, or change dates, etc... closer to the date of travel. If you end up canceling a ticket, you will get the miles back for a redeposit fee.

Often, with premium cabin (J or F) awards, airlines release more award seats as you get closer to the date of travel. So, the best strategy is to book what you can get, and then continue to check and fine tune the tickets until you have two tickets for the flights you want.

If you want F, it often is a good strategy to book J if F is not initially available for one or both passengers. Then, monitor the availability and call to upgrade to F by redeeming additional miles when it is available.

It’s often difficult or impossible to get two award tickets in premium cabins at the same time in advance. You have to “play” with it until you eventually get what you are aiming for.
Marsh11 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by threeplateman
Long time member, first time post. I have been saving American Airline miles for a very long time in hope of using them for my 5 year wedding anniversary and I have a few questions. Please be gentle on me. My wife’s dream has been to go to Budapest. Ideally I would like to leave Southern California ( SNA or LAX ) on Friday May 17th 2019 and return on Sunday June 2nd 2019. I have enough miles for both my wife and I to fly Business / First Mile Saaver at 57.5K if a flight is available. I know that American Airlines begins to offer awarded travel flights 331 in advance which would make the first day to redeem miles for a departure date on May 17th 2019 on this upcoming Wednesday. My first question is when should I get the airline ticket? If something is available on Wednesday should I grab it regardless of the class? I have been following the weeks earlier ( March – May 2019 ) and not much is available in terms of flights in any class and that makes me a little nervous. Does American Airlines usually release more mileage awarded travel closer to the departure date or wants it gone, its gone?

If you are prepared to travel in Economy Class then yes, book Economy Class SAAver seats if they are available, and Business Class is not. If Business Class SAAver seats should subsequently become available, you can switch to them simply by paying the mileage difference. Note that AA partners AY, BA, and IB all serve BUD. There will be very high cash surcharges if you end up on a BA trans-Atlantic flight, but not on just a BA LHR-BUD flight.

But frankly, if your and your wife's credit is good and you can meet the minimum spend requirements for a big sign-up bonus, I would look into getting cards that can get you miles redeemable for Star Alliance flights, like the Chase/UA card and/or the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Sapphire Reserve card. Star Alliance has many more TATL carriers than oneworld does, and I've found it easier to find TATL Business Class Saver awards on Star Alliance carriers than one oneworld carriers.

Note that you can book one-way awards, if necessary, with both AA and UA miles.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:58 am

To avoid reissue fees, you should book not earlier than one year from your LATEST possible departure date. That shouldn’t be an issue, however as you note the availability starts to be released approximately 330 days out.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Aadvantage program
Awesome guys! Thank you very much for your help. I very much appreciate it.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:52 pm

I was wondering how the standby list worked. I was standby on a flight earlier this week, I was about 5th on the list, and there were 20+ names on the list. When I got to the airport and checked the list, I noticed that the name that was 17th on the list had been "cleared" or had that check mark next to it, signifying they got a seat. None of the other names before had cleared yet, and it didnt even seem like they were calling standby passengers yet.

It was my understanding that they simply work down the list in order, and if the seat isnt taken, they simply move to the next number. I asked the attendent and they had said that I hadnt been called yet/hadnt missed my name, so I was wondering if their were other rules I didnt know about for standby lists
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MoofuJJ
I was wondering how the standby list worked. I was standby on a flight earlier this week, I was about 5th on the list, and there were 20+ names on the list. When I got to the airport and checked the list, I noticed that the name that was 17th on the list had been "cleared" or had that check mark next to it, signifying they got a seat. None of the other names before had cleared yet, and it didnt even seem like they were calling standby passengers yet.

It was my understanding that they simply work down the list in order, and if the seat isnt taken, they simply move to the next number. I asked the attendent and they had said that I hadnt been called yet/hadnt missed my name, so I was wondering if their were other rules I didnt know about for standby lists
It's very possible that it was an employee that cleared into the jump seat.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:14 pm

Hello- I am new to business travel. I have flown before-just not on a regular basis. I am what SW refers to as a "person of size". So I booked a flight on SW from LGA to MKE. Bought the extra seat and was able to pre-board and have my choice of seats! Wonderful experience!
Well I find that I need to fly again- In 5 weeks, this time to ATL. Do any of the other airlines have the same type of service? My concern is that I book a Delta or another airline flight (with 2 seats) only to find that the arm rest doesn't raise. Which compleletly defeats the purpose for me. I am getting the 2 seats so I can fit comfortably and not encroach on someone else. I have tried looking are seatguru but options of the seats aren't specified. If anyone has any tidbits of information I would appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.